is this board VAIN??

G

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm...good question. I don't think the board is inherently vain, but there are some vain people posting here. I'm all for longer hair and sharing that information, but some of the comments ('I wanted to show off my hair this weekend but had a waxing accident at the shop!', or 'I couldn't wait to straighten my nappy mess so I could do the white girl hair swing!' makes me roll my eyes so hard, I'm afraid I'll dislocate them.

Having said that, I'm happy to be a part of this community. But to deny the vanity aspect of it all is a tad naive.

[/ QUOTE ]
___
I agree wholeheartedly and I have learned some excellent information but I have seen several vain threads and these are usually the most popular threads.

ineedmoney

2 thought . .
first blk ppl as a whole don't know alot about our hair. we think that it has to be bone straight or on a track to be beautiful. here we have blk women learning about themselves (wether they be relaxed or natural) so that they can look the way that they want and dispell the myth that we can't have long flowing hair

and second . .
if it was a little vain, what is wrong with that. we are all human and the majority of us are women ( or girls
) and i think that we desereve, in this crazy world, to be and feel beautiful. my hair isn't an idol it's my crown and i'm gonna work with it until is perfect

nomadpixi

Actually, I'm LESS vain now, because that "what the heck is my hair going to do today that I have to correct so I don't look crazy"-ness is gone. The information on this board has left me more time to focus on other things because I'm now comfortable with my hair for the first time in my life.

And its all thanks to you guys

LaFemmeNegrita

[ QUOTE ]
where else can i talk about my hair non stop without scorn? i love yalll! you're my enablers. *L*

[/ QUOTE ]
HILAROUS response. Rock on, Miss Thang!!!

Valerie

No absolutely not, if you don't take care of your hair, who would. I am so glad, there is a site for women of colour to know how to take care of their hair, what foods to eat, vitamins etc. Many women who are in the public eye, all take vitamins, some admit it many do not. They are paid to look good. As we get available advice, it is our duty to ourselves to look after ourselves, if we don't nobody else would.

zoya_j

No this board is not vain. We all get great support and tips for our hair. Honestly, where else can you find the support we have on this board?

MissB

This board is not vain. It's the most comprehensive resource on the web regarding healthy hair care.

Kaela

As a whole, I do not think the board is vain. I think there can be vain comments occasionally, but I don't think that makes the entire board that way. You would get that anywhere, anyway, though, even if it wasn't at all related to hair. I just love that there is a place for women (and men) to get ownership over their own health and beauty. I think the self esteem and confidence boost you obtain from that is priceless, personally. A supportive community that is fun as well? I don't think that is vain. Plus, its not like there are threads that are titled "My hair is prettier than yours because...". Maybe some threads are pushing it, but if you aren't letting it take control of your life and how you view yourself and others, I don't think its that serious. If anyone were able to meet me, in real life, they'd immediately see that there's WAY more to me than haircare ...and I think that goes for most of the members here.

I just had one additional comment from Northernbelle's comment about vitamins. Although I'm a HUGE fan of vitamins (I have been taking them all my life, not just since the hair boards), I have to agree, ladies please please please do your research before gulping down high dosages of just any old pill. Research the supplement, research the company you are purchasing from, and pay attention to the effect it is having on your body. It makes me sad that people would not take a multivitamin for their overall health, but they'll take tons of other stuff just for their hair. The health of your entire being should never replace the health of your hair. Nothing replaces a healthy balanced diet, either.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

lilchanel

I don't think this board is vain at all. I actually love the board. I have learned so much from so many different people. It's truly amazing how much you can learn from others. There may be some vain people that post, but we all can be vain at times anyway
We are all unique individuals.

myco

I can't speak for anyone in "real life", but on this board the perception is that people are trying to better themselves. If you think about it, the board's main focus was about hair in the beginning (hence the name), but then people started to take notice of their skin, their health, their mental well being, philosophy, and their finances, etc. it's just a natural progression in taking pride in yourself, IMO. So I think "hair" might have been the keyword that got most of us here, but it is not the end all be all of our lives.
Just like with any new endeavor, there is always a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning (PJitis), but after a while people settle into their own personal rhythym. I think that so many women of color have given up on their hair, that a board where we take a responsibility for our hair from the root to the tip does seem like an anomaly. But I don't apologize for that.

As far as the "white girl toss", I took that as a tongue in cheek reference to the way some people think that any woman of color who has the nerve to move her hair out of her way by moving her head, must be trying to be white. I think the underlying sentiment is the desire to have hair that is long, healthy, and full of body if you so choose. Why that has to be exclusive to white girls I don't know, but that's probably another issue.

pebbles

[ QUOTE ]
I can't speak for anyone in "real life", but on this board the perception is that people are trying to better themselves. If you think about it, the board's main focus was about hair in the beginning (hence the name), but then people started to take notice of their skin, their health, their mental well being, philosophy, and their finances, etc. it's just a natural progression in taking pride in yourself, IMO. So I think "hair" might have been the keyword that got most of us here, but it is not the end all be all of our lives.
Just like with any new endeavor, there is always a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning (PJitis), but after a while people settle into their own personal rhythym. I think that so many women of color have given up on their hair, that a board where we take a responsibility for our hair from the root to the tip does seem like an anomaly. But I don't apologize for that.

As far as the "white girl toss", I took that as a tongue in cheek reference to the way some people think that any woman of color who has the nerve to move her hair out of her way by moving her head, must be trying to be white. I think the underlying sentiment is the desire to have hair that is long, healthy, and full of body if you so choose. Why that has to be exclusive to white girls I don't know, but that's probably another issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said!!