Is There an MSM CHALLENGE?

Nanyanika

I asked this question in a thread before but got no reply. if there isn't one, i'd like to start up. I'm currently take lignisul msm capsules....beginning with a 1000mg a day gradually increasing on a weekly basis. i heard lots of stuff about msm speeding up growth rate and posssibility having an effect on hair texture, i have used it before for a short while to reduce shedding it worked wonderfully, but this time i've bought a pure high quality msm and i want to experiement to see whether it has effect on texture and growth.....i'm currenbtly transitioing so i'm hoping it mnay make ir easier for me.........any takers.

I haven't seen any threads at all about a MSM challenge. I've been taking MSM everyday for a long long time, and it does a wonderful job on my joints (since I'm a walker/jogger).

What kind of MSM are you taking? If it helps to reduce shedding I am all for it, protein deep conditioners have reduced my shedding substantially, many times there is no littler hairs at all, but I really don't like doing them, makes my hair feel funny.

cincybrownsugar said:
What kind of MSM are you taking? If it helps to reduce shedding I am all for it, protein deep conditioners have reduced my shedding substantially, many times there is no littler hairs at all, but I really don't like doing them, makes my hair feel funny.
hi there, its called Lignisul msm by new horizons they sell the highest quality nutritional sulphur, their site is www.a1msm.co.uk, a lot of membres here take msm as to helps extend the growing cycle of hair and reduce the shedding phase, which may mean you can reach longer lengths.

Den1, I saw someone post (2 or 3 weeks ago?) about being on an MSM challenge too.

I, too, asked about it and got not response. I'd like to join your MSM challenge. I don't measure my hair though, so I'd have no idea how many inches it has grown. I'd be able to tell if there are other changes though.

I take either 4000 mg of Vitamin Shoppe MSM powder or 1500 mg GNC pill + 2000 mg vitamin shoppe powder.

Once the GNC pills are gone, I will just take 4000 mg of the powder.

den1, every site says they sell the highest quality nutritional sulfur or highest quality MSM, etc. :)

Last edited:
CurlyCrly said:
Den1, I saw someone post (2 or 3 weeks ago?) about being on an MSM challenge too.

I, too, asked about it and got not response. I'd like to join your MSM challenge. I don't measure my hair though, so I'd have no idea how many inches it has grown. I'd be able to tell if there are other changes though.

I take either 4000 mg of Vitamin Shoppe MSM powder or 1500 mg GNC pill + 2000 mg vitamin shoppe powder.

Once the GNC pills are gone, I will just take 4000 mg of the powder.

den1, every site says they sell the highest quality nutritional sulfur or highest quality MSM, etc. :)
Okay then, this is an offical MSM challenge, i'm not reallly measuring either, i usuallly take a few pics four weeks after wearing braids. i also want to see whether my texture changes over the course of the six months, if it does i may never have to consider texturizing again. do you have any side effects from taking 4,000mg per day? i've just stated msm again, so i'll take 1000mg daily then increase every week, i read somewhere that msm is better absorbed when taken with vitamin c is this true? if yes how much should i take? thanks.

den1 said:
Okay then, this is an offical MSM challenge, i'm not reallly measuring either, i usuallly take a few pics four weeks after wearing braids. i also want to see whether my texture changes over the course of the six months, if it does i may never have to consider texturizing again. do you have any side effects from taking 4,000mg per day? i've just stated msm again, so i'll take 1000mg daily then increase every week, i read somewhere that msm is better absorbed when taken with vitamin c is this true? if yes how much should i take? thanks.

I have read mixed information online about whether vitamin C helps. Some (not talking about LHCF, but looked at other sites) say that you don't have to take it and others say to take anywhere from a 1:2 ratio up to something higher. I am taking vitamin C and taking it at about a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio or higher...not really keeping track.

I used to take 3 pills (4500 mg) of the GNC and it made me more "regular"...that's because I wasn't eating right. When I ate right, I was regular without the MSM.

The powder doesn't do that to me. If fact, it makes me a little constipated, but again if I ate right it probably wouldn't affect me. I will be starting to eat better now and we'll see what happens.

3500-4000 mg is what I normally take, but sometimes I may take 6000 mg since I usually add it to my water and can't taste it. It easier to take more that way.

I think there may be some texture changes, but it is still too soon to tell. My new growth seems softer and less curly than it was on the top. The sides are softer. I have noticed no change in the back. I will be able to tell better by the end of May.

Edited: 4 pills to 3 pills (4500 mg)

Last edited:
I'm in. I just recieved my MSM Powder. I will start at 2g's a day and ramp up from there. I take 3g of Vitamin C, daily.

Remember to drink lots o water ladies.

senimoni said:
I'm in. I just recieved my MSM Powder. I will start at 2g's a day and ramp up from there. I take 3g of Vitamin C, daily.

Remember to drink lots o water ladies.
glad you joined, i hope to see more people joining this challenge!!!!!!

Back