Is it possible. . .

classimami713 said:
I proimise you all that I take excellent care of my hair, but you would never know it. . .I've come to the realization that my growth rate is slow. But I should be retaining more than I am. To answer your questions:

-I don't shampoo.
-I cw daily but am going to do it every other days to give my growth products time to work.
-I deep condition EVERY WEEK.
-I dust my ends frequently. (at least once a week since my hair is prone to splitting)

You may be manipulating your hair too much.

ADB said:
I was natural for 22 years. I got a texturizer in 2003. When my hair was natural it grew really well, but I kept my hair pressed. My natural hair never grew past bra strap. Now with my texturized hair its almost at my waist. Of course my pressed hair was a lot easier to take care of than my texturized hair, but my texurized hair is healthier because I only use heat maybe once a year. Also when my hair was natural I would get a lot of hair out in my comb. Now I barely get breakage. I am very happy that I texturized my hair.

I know that you are happy texturized. But the problems that you described when you were natural sound like they are from heat, considering that you kept your hair pressed.

MeccaMedinah said:

or using too many products...

i have a friend here who says her hair splits up the shaft and didnt start doin that til she started trying everything she saw mentioned on the board...

in other words....when she kept her products minimal she didnt have this problem...maybe u need to decrease ur product usage down to 2 or 3 products to see what happens..

MeccaMedinah said:
I know that you are happy texturized. But the problems that you described when you were natural sound like they are from heat, considering that you kept your hair pressed.

That’s true. Most of my problems probably were because of heat. I didn't like to wear my hair out when it was natural. I didn't like the shrinkage. That's why I got my hair pressed every 2 weeks. A lot of people loved the shrinkage, but it's just not what I liked. I feel I get the best of both worlds with my hair texturized. It still looks natural it just doesn’t have as much shrinkage. Everyone’s different, you just have to go with what makes you happy.

ogiginally posted byclassimami713
It's just frustrating when I see people who could care less about haircare grow their hair faster. I've seen people BC to a shorter length than I started with pass my hair in terms of length! Maybe I should just do "whatever" to my hair, and then it will pick up.

Okay. I'm going to stop whining now!

I wouldn't do "whatever" if I were you.I would find a regimen that works for me.I myself have experienced better hair growth with a relaxer because I really spend a lot of time taking care of my hair but my sister's hair grows faster in a natural state because she can use heat and hair dye more often without experiencing a lot of breakage.You have to find the products and regimen that works best for you and your hair type and be consistent whether you're natural or relaxed.Consistency and not over doing and over using is the key to hair growth.Over use of heat, protein or products can cause loss of hair and slow hair growth.

classimami713 said:
I proimise you all that I take excellent care of my hair, but you would never know it. . .I've come to the realization that my growth rate is slow. But I should be retaining more than I am. To answer your questions:

-I don't shampoo.
-I cw daily but am going to do it every other days to give my growth products time to work.
-I deep condition EVERY WEEK.
-I dust my ends frequently. (at least once a week since my hair is prone to splitting)

MeccaMedinah said:

deedabug said:
or using too many products...

maybe u need to decrease ur product usage down to 2 or 3 products to see what happens..
How is classimami713 manipulating her hair too much or using too many products??? After reading the first entry in her journal, sounds like she hardly uses a lot of products...

But classimami713, if you want to retain hair length, you should dust/trim less often. ;)

Poohbear said:
How is classimami713 manipulating her hair too much or using too many products??? After reading the first entry in her journal, sounds like she hardly uses a lot of products...

But classimami713, if you want to retain hair length, you should dust/trim less often. ;)

if ur hair is fine and fragile...what may seem like a normal amount of manipulation and/or products for anyone else...may be too much for u....still along the same lines of...everything doesnt work for everybody.... :look:

I think the buildup from the frequent conditonings is the culprit. I think this because if they were working then you wouldn't have to dust so much. Buildup causes breakage and dryness. Breakage and dryness causes split ends.

How often do you clarify, and with what?
What conditioners are you using?
Are you NOT shampooing because you think that's what you HAVE to do for healthy natural hair, or are you not shampooing because it truly dries your hair out.

Not everyone can NOT use shampoo. I've decided that I need shampoo.

Another thing for some people frequent CW do more harm than good because they cause them to overmanipulate their hair. Daily CW are good for people with twa's but once your hair gets a little longer you may have to stop.

Try this:

For one month don't manipulate your hair but once a week.

1. clarify
2. Wash your hair( w/ conditioner if your hair is dried out by shampoo)
3. Deep Condition( since you clarified)
4. Put it in a protective style and keep it in for as long as you can stand it. (try for at least a week)

When you cant stand it anymore repeat. Since you CW daily you might not be able to stand for more than 5 days to a week.

After the end of the month clarify and deep condition

Now you can rinse your hair daily if you want to but don't touch it.

Now if your hair thrives, you know that you are over manipulating your hair.

deedabug said:
if ur hair is fine and fragile...what may seem like a normal amount of manipulation and/or products for anyone else...may be too much for u....still along the same lines of...everything doesnt work for everybody.... :look:
yeah, that's true. thanks! :cool:

sillygurl18 said:

Another thing for some people frequent CW do more harm than good because they cause them to overmanipulate their hair. Daily CW are good for people with twa's but once your hair gets a little longer you may have to stop.

This is soooo true! At least for me. I have to wash 1-2 times a week and I cannot CW every day or my hair would be a tangled mess...not to mention it takes for ever to dry. I can't walk around with wet hair 50% of the time!

sillygurl18 said:

This is so true! But I have a twa and I still have to use shampoo. But my shampoo is non-drying, plus it doesn't contain SLS, SLES, nor ALS. ;)

Co-washing is also for people who wash daily and use a small amount of products or no other products at all. For example, what is the use of co-washing hair that has Frenchee Super Gro and other products placed on the hair and scalp? Conditioner is not gonna wash those products out. :nono: You're gonna have a build-up mess!

classimami713 said:
It's just frustrating when I see people who could care less about haircare grow their hair faster. I've seen people BC to a shorter length than I started with pass my hair in terms of length! Maybe I should just do "whatever" to my hair, and then it will pick up.

Okay. I'm going to stop whining now!

i hear you... i am one of those people who could care less about my hair right now, but it is still growing.....my hair seems to retain length better when i wash it and comb it less often....i wash it every two to three weeks and comb the full length of it once a week... oh well...LOL

Back