Is heat necessary for deep conditioning?

Trinity1

I use Optimum Care Rich Conditioner for my deep conditioning treatments but I noticed that I get more slip and softness when I apply the conditioner,put a plastic cap over it and leave it on ,WITHOUT, heat for about 40 minutes than I do when I sit under the dryer. Is heat necessary in order to penetrate the hairshaft? I'm still going to sit under the dryer once a week but I deep condition about 3 times a week so the other two times I wont use heat. I also use Pantenes deep moisturizing treatment which says to only leave on for 3 minutes but I leave it on for 10 and get unbelieve slip. Plus is straightens my new growth. So how about it ladies,is heat necessary? does hair still get the deposits of conditioning inside the hairshaft without heat? and why does it feel so much softer without heat?

Tee Tee

G

I find that I get more slip and deeper conditioning when I use heat. I just personally like it better

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Good question,Tee Tee,and I hope I can help. You see,when you place the plastic cap on your head for 40 minutes,without direct heat from a dryer,you are still in good shape,hair care speaking. You trap heat under the cap from your own body heat. I noticed better results , when I apply EVOO and a tea tree oil combo on my scalp and cover my head with a plastic cap instead of sitting under the dryer for a hot oil treatment. I actually learned this technique from this magazine called Black Hairstyles and Trends. Guess what else the mag said? It said that when you deep condition and sit under the dryer longer than 5 minutes,you are actually drying out the hair,rather than providing it with more moisture. I just purchased their new mag,so let me see if they fully describe this in it....

Trinity1

Oh wow!!! thank you Bublnbrnsuga. Thanks for your insight. I thought about the heat from the hooded dryer making my hair dry because it feels dry after the treatment with heat. I've always believed in listening to my hair and even if it doesnt work for some,my hair seems to like deep conditioning without heat.The softness and better elasticity tells me this

p.s- you look like you could be Tatyanas sister in that picture

Tee Tee

Trinity1

I will still stick with my deep conditioning with heat at least once a week though,just in case. But the other two times during the week when I deep condition will be without heat.

Tee Tee

Allandra

I don't use heat (anymore) when I use moisturizing conditioners. I find that I get better slip when I leave it on for 3 - 5 minutes without heat. I used to use heat for moisturizing conditioners though, but I stopped a while back. Now I only use heat when I use protein conditioners (Aubrey Organics GPB or L'Oreal Mermade).

soulchild

I'm so lazy. I didn't feel like getting out of the shower to deep conditioner this morning, so I put on a shower cap and stood under hot water

Peachtree

Heat (hooded dryer) isn't necessary for my deep conditioning treatments, however, I do "warm" my conditioners b4 applying them quite frequently. Most of the time I'll just apply the conditioner (without warming), cover with a plastic cap, then rinse hrs later or even the next day

I am looking into purchasing a soft bonnet for my protein treatments though...

Allandra

How could I forget to post about warming up my moisturizing conditioners.
Thanks for the reminder PeachTree. I love applying warm moisturizing conditioners to my hair.

Spagirl

If I'm not mistaken the purpose of the heat is to help to open up the cuticle thus aiding in the penetration of the condition into the hair. I've read on this forum that most protein conditioners need help more so than the moisturizing conditioners. As pointed out on this thread, there are many ways of doing this. Some ways might require more time than others. HTH as well.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
Ummh.. How long do you let these moisturizers heat in the microwave?

[/ QUOTE ]
I heat up my moisturizing conditioners, not my moisturizers. I usually heat mine in a bowl and place the bowl in boiling water. I like this method best. If you heat it in the microwave, you will only need to heat it for a few seconds (PROBABLY no more than 10 - 15 seconds). Microwaves vary, so see how long it takes to heat in yours. BTW, it does not have to be hot, just warm.

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
Ummh.. How long do you let these moisturizers heat in the microwave?

[/ QUOTE ]
I heat up my moisturizing conditioners, not my moisturizers. I usually heat mine in a bowl and place the bowl in boiling water. I like this method best. If you heat it in the microwave, you will only need to heat it for a few seconds (PROBABLY no more than 10 - 15 seconds). Microwaves vary, so see how long it takes to heat in yours. BTW, it does not have to be hot, just warm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Allandra meant she heats up her protein conditioners

...ur welcome A

Allandra

No, I only heat up my moisturizing conditioners. When I deep condition with protein conditioners, I use my hooded dryer or heat cap.

keylargo

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
No, I only heat up my moisturizing conditioners. When I deep condition with protein conditioners, I use my hooded dryer or heat cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allandra, how long do you stay under the dryer with protein conditioners? Also, how often do you deep condition with protein?

inthepink

This is good info. I absolutely hate sitting under that dryer anyway. Does the same go for heating caps? Don't want to waste my money on one if they aren't that beneficial.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Allandra, how long do you stay under the dryer with protein conditioners? Also, how often do you deep condition with protein?

[/ QUOTE ]
I stay under the dryer no more than 15-20 minutes.
I deep condition with protein once a month.
But when I get a relaxer touch-up, I do it one week prior, and I do it the next shampoo after. HTH.

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
This is good info. I absolutely hate sitting under that dryer anyway. Does the same go for heating caps? Don't want to waste my money on one if they aren't that beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use my heating caps for deep conditioning. It seems to have the same effect on my hair as the hooded dryer except my hair retains more moisture with the cap. It will be interesting to see what others' experiences have been re: heating caps vs. hooded dryers for conditioning treatments.

soslychic

How does the avon heat cap work? Dosn't it have gel packs that you heat up in the microwave? That isn't how normal heat caps work isn't it? It seems to me that heat from the packs would be harmful or drying at all.

Spagirl

I've heard it mentioned on this forum and on another sites that the electric cap works best on relax hair more so than on natural. It's said to cause more tangle issues (?) on natural. I don't know how true that is for my hair is relaxed.

Nyambura

surfer girl
SSC, I don't know if your question was directed to me. I don't have an Avon cap. Mine looks more like this:

I plug it in and adjust to high, medium, or low heat. Nothing goes into the microwave.

HTH.