How do you avoid the OILY WEAVE look....

MRJ1972

How do you avoid the "oily weave" look while moisturizing your hair under a straight sew-in? What products do you use?

Anytime I attempt to moisturize my hair underneath the sew-in, or moisturize my hair that is left out, I always end up with oily looking hair. I have used cream hairdresses, ex: KeraCare and Profectiv in the past and even spraying Infusium 23 on the braided hair under the sew in leaves a sticky residue on the weave hair.

I had my first and probably last weave installed a couple of months ago. I moisturized my hair with a spray mixture of distilled H20 and rosewater (some like to add aloe vera juice). I also washed my hair once a week using diluted poo and conditioner in a needle tip applicator bottle. When I took down my install my hair didn't have any buildup.

It drove me crazy not to be able to slap conditioner straight on hair, but my hair did not suffer.

HTH

I had my first and probably last weave installed a couple of months ago. I moisturized my hair with a spray mixture of distilled H20 and rosewater (some like to add aloe vera juice). I also washed my hair once a week using diluted poo and conditioner in a needle tip applicator bottle. When I took down my install my hair didn't have any buildup.

It drove me crazy not to be able to slap conditioner straight on hair, but my hair did not suffer.

HTH

I do the exact same thing... I do had aloe vera and glycerin to my mix tho. after washing I moisturized my hair with ORS or Hawaiian 14 in 1 and seal with oil... what moisturizers are u using?

Use an oil free braid spray or moisturizer. The one I use actually says it's oil free on the bottle. African Royale BRX Braid Spray.

I don't know if this is good/bad, but I used a little tiny bit of baby powder on my full sew in, when some of my moisturizers left reside on the weave hair.

But I did have a full sew in, so the powder didn't touch my hair, I also rinsed(plain water)/washed it kinda frequently in the shower. I hope you figure out something that works.

I don't know if this is good/bad, but I used a little tiny bit of baby powder on my full sew in, when some of my moisturizers left reside on the weave hair.

But I did have a full sew in, so the powder didn't touch my hair, I also rinsed(plain water)/washed it kinda frequently in the shower. I hope you figure out something that works.
Stylists do this too! Also works to take that new weave shine off of the hair. The powder "absorbs" the excess oil. I think this is an ingredient in "dry shampoo" that's used in hospitals...HTH.

Thanks for the information!!!

I've mostly used Infusium 23, but when I moisturize my edges with creams ( profectiv, kera care, dr miracles) it somehow gets on the weave and makes it oily...I have to keep my edges moisturized because they are broke off, so I wear the weave in a ponytail unless I am going out.

Back