I washed 4 times, is all the relaxer out?!

SimpleKomplexity

I washed my hair 3 times with ORS poo and then a friend washed my hair again. Then I sat under the dryer with conditioner BUT I still smell perm. I dunno if it's my clothes or in my imagination. It's very faint but I smell it. What do you think I should do? Should I run to the store and buy some neutralizing shampoo?

MonPetite

Massage a great deal of neutralizing poo into your scalp, pop on a shower cap, let it sit for 10-15 min.

Rinse with vinegar (any burns will sting horribly, just warning you)

That should get your pH levels down. HTH.

SmartyPants

When I self-relaxed, I never trusted myself to get all of the relaxer out with the ORS poo. So, I bought the color-change Isoplus neutralizing poo and washed the relaxer out with that. I never wanted to take any chances leaving relaxer in.

FeelinIt

ACV all the way works for me. YOu can smell it when it stops the perm in it's track.

I do this when I texlax. I also use the shampoo too.

I water down the ACV. part ACV and part water.

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
ACV all the way works for me. YOu can smell it when it stops the perm in it's track.

I do this when I texlax. I also use the shampoo too.

I water down the ACV. part ACV and part water.
And you just rinse your hair with the ACV solution by pouring it over your head, or do you let it sit there for a couple of minutes?

Denise11

You should get a neutalizing shampoo and thoroughly wash about 3 times, that'll do the job. I use to think that you had to wash til there was no smell or slight color. I use wash and wash, drying my and my daughter's hair out with all that washing, then I learned that 3 washes was enough. It's okay for the smell to still be there. You don't need ACV.

HoneyDew

When I self-relaxed, I never trusted myself to get all of the relaxer out with the ORS poo. So, I bought the color-change Isoplus neutralizing poo and washed the relaxer out with that. I never wanted to take any chances leaving relaxer in.

Same here. I have to use a separate one if I use the ORS relaxer.

I just don't trust that little pack of non-color indicating shampoo.

Honi

There is no board.
I self relax with phyto. This stuff takes awhile to neutralize so I always wash twice and rinse. The third time I shampoo, I let the shampoo sit for about 10 minutes to neutralize the cortex, rinse and shampoo again.

longhairlover

For at home relaxers it's best to use a neutralizing shampoo that has a color coded system, I use isoplus neutralizing poo, and it shows a pinkish color to alert you that all of the relaxer is not rinsed out. once the suds are white then most likely you have thoroughly washed out all of the relaxer.

hth.

SimpleKomplexity

Yeah, I just rushed to Family Dollar (even though it's a day later) just to make sure all the relaxer is out...let's see...I hope these suds are white! I dun wanna look like that dude from Kriss Kross. You know... Mr. Patches

newflowers

I too self -relax with phyto which is work to get to the white suds. I use an acv rinse in between neutralizing shampoo steps - it works. When you use a neutralizing shampoo (and you definitely should), you should leave it in for a bit to give time for it to work.

BGT

You HAVE to use a neutralizing poo right after rinsing the relaxer out or the chemicals will continue to process your hair. :nono: I lather twice with a neutralizing poo and once with a regular poo. DC and then style your hair. :yep:

yuriko

There are two ORS poos, one is neutralizing, one is not. Make sure you are using the right one.

andreab

I used ORS and also noticed the non color poo. What I do notice is that as I continue to wash and rinse the poo suds up more. First wash no suds, 2nd wash a little, 3 wash more, 4th wash a lot more, 5th wash pile of suds all over the place. I was sure it was out by this time. No perm smell no cloudy water. HTH.

Last edited:

MonPetite

And you just rinse your hair with the ACV solution by pouring it over your head, or do you let it sit there for a couple of minutes?

I dilute it -half and half because I want to be SURE I stop the chemical process- in a glass and pour it over my head while bending over the sink in the kitch.

I massage it into my scalp, hairline, neck, ears, temple, forehead and ends before completely rinsing and then checking my hair with a color-indicating shampoo after I let the ORS poo sit (after I chelate, which is after I let conditioner sit 5 min, which is after I rinse out the relaxer -whew!). HTH.

Globeleza

I know this is a bit much but I usually shampoo 5-6 times with neutralizing poo and then 2 more times with my regular poo. I always really rinse a long time to get all of the relaxer out before I even shampoo.