I want to BC now...

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
but I'm very nervous of how my hair would look and be perceived by people. I know people's perception should be the last thing on my mind, but I'm much older and in a new faze in my life. When I first BC I was 19 and was this semi-rebel when it came to my hair, I had a man, a job, school, friends, etc and was very happy with my decision. How I'm older (in my mid to late twenties) educated, working in administration at a higher education institution with future plans to work in social work. But when I speak to a few people they say "Why cut your hair? It's so long, and nice especially when you make it curly/wavy".

Another thing that makes me contemplate my BC is I'm nervous how my texture will look. It's been about 7 yrs since I seen my hair in it's BC state and I can tell my texture has changed from when I first BC. I think I was 4a/4b back then, but my front is even more looser then before so I'm about a 3c/3b mix in some places, and mostly 4a/3c in the back. So if I don't like my hair I have to get extensions until it grows out to the point I'm comfortable rocking it by it's self.

Can I get people's input please.

You shouldn't care about what other people think of your hair. And if you are truly ready for the change, your confidence will show it. Maybe transition for a little longer. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the longer the hair, the more accepting people will be.

How long has it been since your last relaxer? Personally, if I were going to go natural I would wait to BC until after I could put my hair into a pony tail or it was almost SL (which ever comes first) because it would allow me more of versatility in styling than if it were shorter. And plus I would avoid that "awkward" stage that I see people referencing on here. However, take what I say with a grain of salt because I've never BC'd or transitioned and am only going by what I would do if I were going to go natural. HTH.

It sounds like you are unsure and nervous, so I would say wait a week and see how you feel. I think the BC should be an exciting time and happy time.

Ultimately Do you! I would wait a little just to make sure you dont have any BC remorse. I am sure your hair will be Cute if you BC and as you said, if your not comfortable theres always wigs, weaves, braids, etc....

It has been since Feb. 16 of this year I have been transition which means almost 6 months. So I have maybe 3 inches in the back and almost 4 in the front. I think some of the reasons I want to BC now is this NYC heat! It crazy and thank goodness my hair is long enough to put up in a bun. I have been doing small cuts every couple of months. So far I cut a total of 3 to 4 inches all around. So I went from a little past BSL to a little above APL in the back and SL in the front.

I also notice my hair is growing thicker and healthier since I decided to transition, it's become harder to braid my hair since I don't use heat to dry my hair. So now all I do now is wash,condition, and moisturize.

I'm feeling really down today, I lost something that meant alot to me and have been punishing myself by limiting certain things to kind of symbolically get it back financially. And all of a sudden I got this feeling to BC even more now. Which I know might be due to the lost.

Last edited:
I decided not to do a BC. I'm wearing weaves while I transition. Everytime I get a new weave she trims more of the relaxed hair off (mostly all of its gone now). Now I'm wearing the weave as a protective style until I reach my goal. If you do go the weave-route, make sure you have a great stylist doing your installs (unless you're really good at doing them yourself), and make sure you take really good care of your hair underneath the weave.

I had a sew-in for 4 1\2 - 5 months. You sound confused as to what you want to do so I suggest you do that until you figure it out. So just in case you chicken out you can always relax the new growth lol. But for me having the sew-in made me want to BC even more because after I took it out and sawDfelt my texture I fell in complete love with the idea of going natual. Hope I helped some =) & good luck

It doesn't sound like you are mentally ready to do the BC. I'd hate to see you regret it and reach for a relaxer.

What are your plans once you cut your hair? What styles will you do to your hair?
You can't make everyone happy and some people may or may not like your hair. At the end of the day YOU have to like your hair and wear it with confidence for others to like it.

Think back to how you felt after you BC'd the first time. You were happy, right? Whatever you do, just plan it so you have those same feelings of happiness when you BC this time. I'm a little dismayed that you care so much about others will think. At least you know WE will always have your back :)

I had a sew-in for 4 1\2 - 5 months. You sound confused as to what you want to do so I suggest you do that until you figure it out. So just in case you chicken out you can always relax the new growth lol. But for me having the sew-in made me want to BC even more because after I took it out and sawDfelt my texture I fell in complete love with the idea of going natual. Hope I helped some =) & good luck

How long did you decide to transition for? I have been going back and forth with BCing for a while now. But every I have the scissors in my hand I just trim about half and inch each time. I think I'm just trying to release pinned up stress and angry that I have right now into cutting my hair which might not be good.

It doesn't sound like you are mentally ready to do the BC. I'd hate to see you regret it and reach for a relaxer.

What are your plans once you cut your hair? What styles will you do to your hair?
You can't make everyone happy and some people may or may not like your hair. At the end of the day YOU have to like your hair and wear it with confidence for others to like it.
The only style I thought about doing was a wash and go if I was to BC since I only have 3 to 4 inches.

Think back to how you felt after you BC'd the first time. You were happy, right? Whatever you do, just plan it so you have those same feelings of happiness when you BC this time. I'm a little dismayed that you care so much about others will think. At least you know WE will always have your back :)
This is true, it's best to do it when I'm in a better mind frame. This is why I love this board, I can talk about things here that I can't IRL

Sassy...Maybe you should wait until you BC. Based on your previous posts it appears you are in an emotional state right now and do not need to make such a decision at this time. Also remember relaxed hair pulls natural hair, giving the illusion of length. If you have 3 to 4 inches of new growth, once chopped and shrinkage, occurs you will have what will look to be less than that. When you have gone from BSL to 3 inches or less, that could be quite a shock.
ITA w/ others, ultimately you do you, with or w/o approval from others. Your LHCF family will support you whatever you decide. :)

Back