I have made a decision....

milyn15

My next hair appt is in June. I have decided to cut the texturizer out of my hair and go natural. However, as a woman in her 40s, I have some gray hairs. If I use henna, can I apply the henna myself or do I need to go to a professional? Will henna damage my hair, as I would utimately prefer to give my hair a rest from chemicals.
Any sage advice to pass on to me, ladies?

I was encouraged to read "Hairstory"...the authors name escapes me right now.

No poo...saved my hair. I am going toward all natural products...but SHEA BUTTER, SHEA BUTTER, SHEA BUTTER ...I know for a fact this kept me from experiencing "scab hair". My hair has always felt soft and moisturized.

I sing the praises of dispelling any negative thoughts about your hair...it is "Good Hair". Wear it proudly.

I have the grey at the temples issue. So far I have not acted on it yet. Someone suggested to me to try rinsing with rosemary tea. But I cannot give you firsthand experience that it worked.

You will want to experiment with products...that's ok. Just have fun with it. Enjoy watching it grow. Take pics so that you can see the progress. That keeps you from getting frustrated with not gaining the length as fast as you would like it to be.

Trust this...the more positive you are as a person, the better you take care of yourself, will show up in your hair.

Congrats...cant wait to see how your journey turns out.

[ QUOTE ]
milyn15 said:
My next hair appt is in June. I have decided to cut the texturizer out of my hair and go natural. However, as a woman in her 40s, I have some gray hairs. If I use henna, can I apply the henna myself or do I need to go to a professional? Will henna damage my hair, as I would utimately prefer to give my hair a rest from chemicals.
Any sage advice to pass on to me, ladies?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can apply henna yourself. There was huge thread about hennalucent a while back. It discussed hennalucent, henna, and lotus powders. If I find it, I'll bump it for you.
smile.gif

I've tried powder colors, but not henna, and now I prefer the powders over the creams. The first brand I tried was Bigen Oriental Black. I didn't like the results because I was still pressing my hair so the heat and the powder combined made my hair feel very dry.

I wanted to try Bigen again to see if there would be a difference because now I'm able to fully moisturize my hair everyday. My bss didn't have Bigen so I bought the Bijon brand. I am extremely pleased with the results. My hair is almost jet black like I want and my pesky grays toward the front are undetectable.
up.gif

I've had the color in for about a week and my hair does not feel dry or crispy. It feels like it normally does.

If you find some quality henna powder and decide to use it, let us know. I've been using Amla powder (Indian product) to combat my shedding and I'm real close to giving it the thumbs up. I'd love to find some quality henna locally so that I can color and combat shedding with just one product.

...and congratulations on going natural! Cutting out the heat and discontinuing the chemicals is what saved my hair. I think you'll be very happy with your decision.
smile.gif

As a fellow 40 some year old woman, I've also got some grey hairs. I haven't tried henna, but Sebatian Colourshines works well for covering my greys. Of course, it isn't a long lasting as a more permanant color. Good luck in your journey toward natural hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Cindy70 said:
Sorry, I don't know anything about henna, but congratulations on your decision to go natural.
clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO!! I had a feeling this topic was about going natural!

Back