I give up on hair secrets!

J

JenniferMD

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

OK! So, I'm here in the Dominican Republic and there are a couple of ladies here that I talk with about hair on the regular. They all have LONG 4a/b hair, but everyday they tell me something new and it sounds RIDICULOUS! I just had to share this one particular "secret" because I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.

The conversation goes like this:

Marcia (Dominican girl with super long 4a/b hair): Jenn, you've got me listening to all my friends about what works for them and what to do for healthy long hair

JenniferMD: Dime! (Spanish for "tell me")

Marcia: Chicken grease!

JenniferMD: Shutup Marcia!

Marcia: No, no, I'm serious...you take the skin of some chicken and cook it in a pan and use the grease on your hair to make it grow.

JenniferMD: :lachen: :lachen: I don't wanna hear any more of your "secrets" Marcia!

Soooo, I give up on the hair secrets...but I have learned some great tips here and I'll share those in a comprehensive post later.

JenniferMD said:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

OK! So, I'm here in the Dominican Republic and there are a couple of ladies here that I talk with about hair on the regular. They all have LONG 4a/b hair, but everyday they tell me something new and it sounds RIDICULOUS! I just had to share this one particular "secret" because I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.

The conversation goes like this:

Marcia (Dominican girl with super long 4a/b hair): Jenn, you've got me listening to all my friends about what works for them and what to do for healthy long hair

JenniferMD: Dime! (Spanish for "tell me")

Marcia: Chicken grease!

JenniferMD: Shutup Marcia!

Marcia: No, no, I'm serious...you take the skin of some chicken and cook it in a pan and use the grease on your hair to make it grow.

JenniferMD: :lachen: :lachen: I don't wanna hear any more of your "secrets" Marcia!

Soooo, I give up on the hair secrets...but I have learned some great tips here and I'll share those in a comprehensive post later.

lmao. ya neverrr know, but it does sound a bit funky. Cant wait to read your tips though!!!

:lachen: :lachen:

But I agree with CandyC...you never know.

At least we know they wouldn't laugh at us putting stuff for horses, vaginal, jock itch, and foot fungus cream in our hair :D :D

Actually…this is not so weird to me. My mother, who is from South Carolina, grew up in the country. As a child and teen, she had waist length, 3c/4a hair. She told me that they couldn’t always afford hair oil, so they would boil unseasoned chicken and use the chicken fat! They also used it for baking occasionally. Maybe it’s not so crazy after all.

However, I wouldn’t dare do it myself!!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I posted this sometime back and everyone ignored this information. The spanish woman actual made it for me. she used it as pre-poo. she said I am poor I can't go to the store like you do everything is here in my kitchen. This spanish woman is black not mixed with any thing but she has lovely long hair and this what she use. I just think there are so many cultures out there and we just have learn and embrace one another. there is no one correct way.

this is how it goes
Take the fat from the chicken and put It in a pot on low heat. When there is enough oil remove the fat or skin from oil and turn off heat, then add Fresh sage, rosemary, nettle and carrot skins until cool. Some people add coconut oil and olive oil if prefer. Bottle this and use daily or as pre- poo. the smell is ok. I ve personally used this when funds are low here in college.

princesslocks said:
Chicken Grease :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I thought I heard it all :eek: !

Hope you're enjoying your stay in DR Jen !:)

Yep! Just might be true. Chicken does have protein. Ok. Who is going to be the Guineu (sp?) Pig?

Nothing worse than walking into a room and smelling like fried chicken.:lachen:

You can't mask that smell with EO. I guess it beats the smell of MTG. :lachen:

Zeal said:
Yep! Just might be true. Chicken does have protein. Ok. Who is going to be the Guineu (sp?) Pig?

Nothing worse than walking into a room and smelling like fried chicken.:lachen:

You can't mask that smell with EO. I guess it beats the smell of MTG. :lachen:

The chicken fat really doesn’t have an odor!!! :yep: It’s like shortening, really, only softer at rooom temperature. I think if you use it, though, it might get a little rancid in a few days because preservatives would not be used. Actually, using chicken fat makes a lot of sense because it is natural and probably absorbs well and contains protein and vitamins from the chicken. I agree it is probably a good carrier oil (like emu oil).

I don't know what to say. I just have this feeling that, within a week, someone is going to start a "chicken grease challenge"...and then what? I'll have to join it. Truth be told, I don't eat the chicken fat so I may as well put it to good use. I always trim the fat off of my chicken...

Come to think of it...chicken's do have lots of hair before they are done in, right? :D :D Chicken challenge.....hmmmmm......:grin:

:lol: LOL AT THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yall done already had me put horse stuff,:confused: jock itch:eek: , and now yeast infection meds in my hair:ohwell: , I WILL NOT PUT CHICKEN IN MY HAIR:nono: !!!!!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO....... Unless............... you post some very very very impressive progress pics first:grin: :grin: !

princesslocks said:
Jen,

You're going to have to update the album :)

Yeah Jen....you started this thread so you will have to be the first to post your results :grin: . You know how us LHCF's get....we need proof!! :lol:

Will all poultry work for this?? I think I just saw turkey for sale @ publix! :lachen:

*sigh* I just called my mother to ask her about this. I couldn't help it!! :D The first thing she asked is, ”Why do you need to know this?” All I could do is hem and haw. :lachen:

But, apparently, chicken grease isn’t the only thing her family used to save money (my grandparents had 16 children).:p She told me my grandmother used to take unseasoned pork (they raised pigs) and baked the oil out of the skin and used it for not only hair, but baking. To render the oil from the chicken, my grandmother used to save the fatty scraps from the birds and freeze them until she got enough to make a batch of oil. She either baked the fat or put it in a pot on the stovetop, then strained it into a storage container. My mother said, as long as it was stored in a cool, dry area, the oil kept really well. Not only could the oil be used on the hair, but they used it to shine up their legs as well before school each day!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Talk about resourceful. I truly know now that nothing goes to waste on a farm!!! :D

curtainbluff said:
this is how it goes
Take the fat from the chicken and put It in a pot on low heat. When there is enough oil remove the fat or skin from oil and turn off heat, then add Fresh sage, rosemary, nettle and carrot skins until cool. Some people add coconut oil and olive oil if prefer. Bottle this and use daily or as pre- poo. the smell is ok. I ve personally used this when funds are low here in college.

Sounds like soup to me :look:

Don't ya'll go puttin chicken grease in your hair. That new growth may just turn into soft downy 3a/b feathers! lol

Legend said:
*sigh* I just called my mother to ask her about this. I couldn't help it!! :D The first thing she asked is, ”Why do you need to know this?” All I could do is hem and haw. :lachen:

But, apparently, chicken grease isn’t the only thing her family used to save money (my grandparents had 16 children).:p She told me my grandmother used to take unseasoned pork (they raised pigs) and baked the oil out of the skin and used it for not only hair, but baking. To render the oil from the chicken, my grandmother used to save the fatty scraps from the birds and freeze them until she got enough to make a batch of oil. She either baked the fat or put it in a pot on the stovetop, then strained it into a storage container. My mother said, as long as it was stored in a cool, dry area, the oil kept really well. Not only could the oil be used on the hair, but they used it to shine up their legs as well before school each day!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Talk about resourceful. I truly know now that nothing goes to waste on a farm!!! :D

Yep...My mom got greased up with lard too.

Legend said:

You gotta do what cha gotta do------ good for them it's called surviving I am going to try it, I am tired of this bald area I want thick long hair!!!!hehehe

Back