I GIVE UP!! 4b's with healthy relaxed hair who don't Stretch what is your regimen?

Dymondz7

I've tried twice to stretch the time between my relaxers/textirizers and each time I experienced major shedding and breakage. That's in spite of the TLC given to my tresses. I mosturized, mosturized, mosturized. I sleep with my hair covered in satin. I deep condition and include protein as an appropriate part of my routine. Still breakage and shedding. :ohwell: Both times I went about 16 weeks. Right now I'm at 11 weeks and ready to touch up this evening.

I'm starting to believe that I am not a good canidate for extending my relaxers. However when I see beautiful hair such as JenniferMDs, who attributes some of her hair success to spacing upto 7 months between realaxers, I think maybe it's something I'm doing incorrectly. :wallbash:

For those of you with 4b relaxed hair that do not strech more than 8 weeks, how do you keep your hair healthy? :confused: :confused:

I've never gone past 8 weeks myself (well, without the help of braids), but I would like to try. Even when I relax at 8 weeks my hair is healthy. The only thing I can see that stretching will do is help to avoid overlapping. But at 8 weeks, I usually have a good chunk of NG and can avoid overlapping anyway. If I did stretch, S-Curl would definitely be a staple, and I would only wash maybe once per week to minimize handling the hair. HTH!

I think it is impossible for me...without braids or something. I made it 11.5 weeks this past time and I don't have the desire to stretch any further.

Dymondz7 said:
I've tried twice to stretch the time between my relaxers/textirizers and each time I experienced major shedding and breakage. That's in spite of the TLC given to my tresses. I mosturized, mosturized, mosturized. I sleep with my hair covered in satin. I deep condition and include protein as an appropriate part of my routine. Still breakage and shedding. :ohwell: Both times I went about 16 weeks. Right now I'm at 11 weeks and ready to touch up this evening.

I'm starting to believe that I am not a good canidate for extending my relaxers. However when I see beautiful hair such as JenniferMDs, who attributes some of her hair success to spacing upto 7 months between realaxers, I think maybe it's something I'm doing incorrectly. :wallbash:

For those of you with 4b relaxed hair that do not strech more than 8 weeks, how do you keep your hair healthy? :confused: :confused:

I feel you on this one...
I have just reached four weeks & I'm afraid of the stylings that I will look forward to myself...
Maybe you just need to see how long you can go without the major shedding & breakage... A lot of girls on here only go about 9 weeks, maybe 10... It's all really a trials & tribulations thing... If you see that your hair won't make it past 8 weeks, then touch up every 8 weeks! The first goal should be to get the hair as strong & healthy as it can get... then focus on the length....
-HTH
:grin:

Re: I GIVE UP!! 4b's with healthy relaxed hair who don't Stretchwhat is your regimen?

Considering my hair isn't that long anymore because of that bootleg Affirm, but what I would do to stretch my relaxers was moisturize moisturize moisturize.

I would be sure to wash my hair every week with a gentle moisturizing shampoo. After shampooing, I would follow with an extremely moisturizing conditioner and sit for about 25-30 minutes. Afterwards, spray my hair with a hydrating leave-in conditioner, rollset and wrap hair.

Every night, I spray a generous amount of leave-in conditioner on my hair, seal with oil and wrap. This helped to stretch almost 7 months.

Re: I GIVE UP!! 4b's with healthy relaxed hair who don't Stretchwhat is your regimen?

Well, I am actually a 4a but have some 4b in the back half of my hair ..Before I started the daily wshing challenge for April. I would do a pre-poo treatment with sheabutter oil, jojoba oil, and suave biobasics ( a knock off of biolage conditioning balm) and sit under the dryer for 10-15 minutes. Then shampoo with Therapee, apply Aphogee intense Keratin Reconstructor and let that sit while I shower, then apply Humectress, and Sit under the dryer if I had time, but it does pretty good even if i just leave it on a few minutes. Then follow by spraying on my mixture of jojoba oil mixed with Infusium 23, Aphogee Pro-vitaimin leave in, with a little bit of Hask Placenta leave in. and then moisturize with shealoe, jojobaoil, and shea butter oil. and air dry, with my hair in a bum or poneytail with a satin scarf over it. If in a hurry sit under the dryer 10-15 minutes to help speed drying. My hair always came out soft shiny and smooth. I am going to try streching my relaxer for the first time, and when the daily washing challenge is over I plan on doing that regemin twice a week to keep it moistruized and smooth.
I know I use a ton of things, but I HTH..

FashionistaNY said:
Considering my hair isn't that long anymore because of that bootleg Affirm, but what I would do to stretch my relaxers was moisturize moisturize moisturize.

I would be sure to wash my hair every week with a gentle moisturizing shampoo. After shampooing, I would follow with an extremely moisturizing conditioner and sit for about 25-30 minutes. Afterwards, spray my hair with a hydrating leave-in conditioner, rollset and wrap hair.

Every night, I spray a generous amount of leave-in conditioner on my hair, seal with oil and wrap. This helped to stretch almost 7 months.

Stories like these keep me going... IT'S MAD HARD, but it helps to read.... :ohwell:

Last edited:
Dymondz7,

I hear you, I did my first every stretch a few weeks ago. Got to 11 weeks. I was gonna kill someone-Trust me I was!!!
Do a search on relaxer stretching myself and others have been there, your not alone!!!!
I just actually posted today, I am going for relaxer stretch No 2. I am 6 weeks post my goal is 12. Hopefully I can strectch pass 12 as last year I couldnt cope with my new-growth, shedding and breakage at 6 weeks and would relax.

So if I can do you can do. 11 weeks is a very good stretch if I get there I will be happy

Kizzy

The only time I have stretched past 12 weeks is if I'm in braids and will be rebraiding. I can make it to week 10 with no problem but after that getting to week 12 is always tricky.

I stretch to week 12 and relax right on schedule to avoid breakage. If I 'm wearing braids I take the braids down, wait a week to 10 days and go right back to braids. I try to manipulate as little as possible during that in between time.

You should do what is best for YOUR hair. There have been times when I just refused to go another day after week 10 because the new growth was so thick and outta control. I felt no guilt about going early. There are some members who strtch to 8 weeks and that's it.

Well I stretch but not TOO much. I sometimes relax at 8 weeks but for the most part 11-12 is good enough for me without causing damage.

I feel you sista...This is my second attempt to stretch I am going for 12 weeks. I am on week 9 right now. Last time I made it up to 8 weeks and I just could not get the new growths under control. So I caved. I think the key to stretching is to train your hair not to look for a relaxer. The reason why I say this is because I can control my new growths this time around....If I make it to week 1o-11 I will still be happy. If I make to 12 weeks on my second attempt I will cry, because I went this long. The next time I will aim for 4 months......My secret weapon is S-Curl and mango butter....

Stretching relaxers is not 100% neccessary especially if you use protein conditoners. So if this is not working for you do what works best for you and just make sure you keep your hair conditioned with protein and other moisturzing conditoners. I think people ideally want to stretch because it is less chemicals which could be drying. But overcoming dryness from perms is done but good protein treatments and mositurizing conditoners. :)

Dymondz7 said:

I just started stretching to 8 weeks (I used to touch up every 6). If I didn't have to look presentable for work, I might be able to get to 10, but my hair gets unruly. :antlers:

I have 4B hair (emphasis on the B). Every single hairdresser I've ever been to comments on how dense my roots are. My curl is very tight, so when I stretch, I end up w/ a twa under my permed hair :lachen:

I'm gonna co-sign on the mango butter. It's been a lifesaver, and the only reason I can even get to 8 weeks! Co-washes help too. Also, I think surge loosens the curl a bit. I'm able to get through my roots a bit better when I surge. HTH

Take cues from your hair on how long to stretch your relaxers. You're at 11 weeks now and that's very good, not everyone can go that long. If you've reach the point where your hair is shedding and breaking you're defeating the purpose of stretching your relaxer cause your hair is gonna be shorter when you finally relax.

crazyabouthair said:
Take cues from your hair on how long to stretch your relaxers. You're at 11 weeks now and that's very good, not everyone can go that long. If you've reach the point where your hair is shedding and breaking you're defeating the purpose of stretching your relaxer cause your hair is gonna be shorter when you finally relax.
ITA with everything crazy said. I started off relaxing every 6 weeks and moved to 12 by extending 1 week each time I touched up. Each time I got better at learning what works for my hair, but if nothing was working I'd touch up a few days early. Stretching completely defeats the purpose if you're not able to manage and you lose hair trying. What helps is moisture, conditioner washes and as little manipulation as possible. What helps keep my hair healthy despite the fact that I'm not a major strecher is regular protein and being diligent about protecting my already relaxed hair at touch-up time.

FashionistaNY said:

Fashonista, do tell.. what is your 'extremely moisturizing' conditoner? I'm on a manic search for one..

Thanks so much for all your replys. I did end up relaxing and the breakage and shedding stopped. However, there was quite a bit of breakage (especially in my crown area) so I ended up cutting quite a bit of my hair to get rid of the thin ends. :ohwell: In the past I was able to grow my hair by wearing braids for a year and a half. I have a braid appointment this afternoon and chances are I will be in braids until next spring.

I'm not sure that I will relax again. It's always this cycle, beautiful growth, I decide to go ahead and relax and within the year my hair gradually breaks off. :angry2: - although its flawless the first 4 months or so.

Thanks to the ladies of LHCF I've learned how to care for my hair, so thats leading me to think that maybe my hair just doesn't work well with relaxers.:nono: I naturally have extremely dry skin and hair. Having dry skin has prevented me from having blemishes but having dry hair makes it hard to keep the breakage at bey.

Well its back to the drawing board - I now have about 4 inches of hair, and as short as 2 inches in the top of my head. A positive is that my hair grows quickly - about 3/4 inches per month, so I just need to figure out how to keep it healthy and on my head. While in braids I'll continue to use LHCF to find a regimen that works for me.

Dymondz, I'm sorry that you had to cut you hair. I don't know what your regime is so I can't say if there is something that you could be doing differently to keep your hair healthy 4 months after relaxing. What I do want to say is that you should consider going natural if you don't think your hair can take it or if you just find it overwhelming to maintain. I love my relaxed hair (thanks to LHCF) but the more I learn about hair the more I agree that it may be detrimental to some, just as any chemical may be. Since you're comfortable with wearing braids for an extended period of time and your hair grows relatively fast, you could transition without the awkward styling phase that some people experience. Good luck.

baglady215 said:
I've never gone past 8 weeks myself (well, without the help of braids), but I would like to try. Even when I relax at 8 weeks my hair is healthy. The only thing I can see that stretching will do is help to avoid overlapping. But at 8 weeks, I usually have a good chunk of NG and can avoid overlapping anyway. If I did stretch, S-Curl would definitely be a staple, and I would only wash maybe once per week to minimize handling the hair. HTH!

I've stretched to 15 weeks, and it was a disaster each time. I'm relaxing this weekend, and I will never stretch beyond 10 weeks. I just don't think my hair was made to stretch that long. It seems most 4a/4b's can't stretch as long. Stretching is only to make your hair healthier, but if it makes it less healthy, then DON'T DO IT!

I basically can't stretch. Just like some people can't use heat and other things. I don't have long hair YET :D but it is a heck of a lot healthier than when I started. My regimen is in the journal section of my fotki.

Sometimes it's just best not to stretch. I rather not go past 9-10 weeks but I have gone to 14 plus one times but the products I was using really helped with breakage. Prepoo with Keraphix or ORS mayo. This times I stretched to 10 weeks and I got so many knots so I lost a lot of hair but my hair doesn't look like I did for some reason. This last time was the first time that I didn't use any heat until the 8th week and now I know I have to at least deep condition with heat, rollerset most weeks and use razac leave in.

You guys, I'm just wondering, so please don't be offended by this....but my hair is 4a/b and I was natural for six years and just decided last month to texlax (best decision I ever made for my hair!!!). So basically I left a Mizani relaxer on for 7 minutes with minimal smoothing and my hair turned out beautifully. Now there is almost NO breakage, it's easier for me to manage since I like to wear my hair straight 99% of the time. I just LOVE it!!!

But listen, I know my scalp doesn't like chemicals much so even though I used Mizani Sensitve Scalp and had absolutely NO burning or irritation I plan to texlax only once or twice a year (January and August). This way I can maintain my texlaxed ends and grow new hair in a healthy way (for me).

Anyways why is it that I can deal with the two textures and others find it difficult? Is it because I was natural so long? That's what I'm thinking, cause right now I have about 1 inch of new growth and it's not even bothering me and it won't bother me in 3 months either because I know just how to deal with it (my MGlide loves to straighten my 4a/b new growth).

Not trying to offend anyone, but I would just like to see everyone reach their hair goals and some of us sound frustrated with NOT being able to stretch as long as we planned.

Now I'm not going to sit here and say I won't WANT a touch up (texlax) by May, I will, because for me texlaxed hair is easier to take care of than my natural 4a/b hair, but...I know my scalp will revolt so I'm trying for once or twice a year.

I think that the problem some people have with stretching is that we look at the week instead of the ng that we have. Someone may be able to strech for 20 weeks for only have an inch of ng while someone else may have a inch and an half at 12 weeks so that can't strengh as long.

Me myself have stretched up to 20 weeks with CO washes, buns and falls however, my hair grows slow so my 20 weeks may be someone's elses 12 weeks with faster growing hair.

I can't stretch either. After trying and trying many many times, my hair has spoken. 8 weeks and that is it. I have allergic reactions from fake hair so using braids or falls doesn't work for me. My hair was growing best when I got it washed and set evey 5-7 days and relaxed every two months. I am going back to 8 weeks between touch ups. I wash and condition every 4-5 days. I alternate between protien and moisture. Currently I do a heavy duty protien treatment every 3 weeks after my relaxer. I also use a light protien treamtent every 3rd wash. I don't use direct heat and I only comb with a shower comb daily. I also moisturize my ends daily

At first my hair would rebel aganst stretching too:lachen: . I had to train it now stretching is an invaluable part of my regimine the health and thickness have been astounding but it took effort and trial and error.:) HTH

I dont really stretch (every 8 weeks I get a touchup).

When I get a touchup, i get a trim too so if I stretch my ends start to look raggedy and I end up having to chop off more. Plus with my newgrowth, my hair seems to get tangled more often when rollersetting so I have more manipulation.

So, for me, stretching is more trouble than its worth. As long as you have a good stylist who is careful not to overlap, you should be fine. But its up to you and your hair. My reggie is on my fotki,blog and FOTM (October).

Re: I GIVE UP!! 4b's with healthy relaxed hair who don't Stretch what is your regi

macherieamour said:
I dont really stretch (every 8 weeks I get a touchup).

When I get a touchup, i get a trim too so if I stretch my ends start to look raggedy and I end up having to chop off more. Plus with my newgrowth, my hair seems to get tangled more often when rollersetting so I have more manipulation.

So, for me, stretching is more trouble than its worth. As long as you have a good stylist who is careful not to overlap, you should be fine. But its up to you and your hair. My reggie is on my fotki,blog and FOTM (October).
You are definitely the first person I thought of when I decided to stop stretching! Just beautiful hair! It CAN be done.

Although, since I've discovered my mistakes from my last 15wk stretch, my hair is much easier to handle now at 8wks post and it seems like I can go on for more weeks... but I won't. :lol: I don't have the time right now to experiment to see if the same matting and tangling problems will happen again. I used to spend days (even a full week) detangling before a relaxer. I don't have that time now so I'll put off stretching for a few more months, but I believe this time, I'll be more successful! However, I ain't going past 10-12 wks EVER! :lol: I don't flat iron my hair to stretch or any other things like braids, weaves, wigs, etc, so I can't go that long and never plan to. :lol:

To the ladies who are having trouble, there have been a couple of threads lately that help and support stretching. Golden tips are in them so check them out if you haven't already. BUT if stretching is just not for you, I say just do what is best for your hair and tailor your regimen accordingly. Looking at Macherie's hair alone should convince anyone that it's possible to have gorgeous flowing relaxed hair without stretching. :)

Last edited:
Dymondz7 said:
Thanks so much for all your replys. I did end up relaxing and the breakage and shedding stopped. However, there was quite a bit of breakage (especially in my crown area) so I ended up cutting quite a bit of my hair to get rid of the thin ends. :ohwell: In the past I was able to grow my hair by wearing braids for a year and a half. I have a braid appointment this afternoon and chances are I will be in braids until next spring.

I'm not sure that I will relax again. It's always this cycle, beautiful growth, I decide to go ahead and relax and within the year my hair gradually breaks off. :angry2: - although its flawless the first 4 months or so.

Thanks to the ladies of LHCF I've learned how to care for my hair, so thats leading me to think that maybe my hair just doesn't work well with relaxers.:nono: I naturally have extremely dry skin and hair. Having dry skin has prevented me from having blemishes but having dry hair makes it hard to keep the breakage at bey.

Well its back to the drawing board - I now have about 4 inches of hair, and as short as 2 inches in the top of my head. A positive is that my hair grows quickly - about 3/4 inches per month, so I just need to figure out how to keep it healthy and on my head. While in braids I'll continue to use LHCF to find a regimen that works for me.

I'm in the same situation. I'm thinking of quitting relaxers too. I did stretch for 6 month but with braids. I'm getting sick of braids though. I get good growth too, but it's a curse if you can't tame it. Years ago my beautician told my hair, just doesn't like relaxers, I may have to take heed.

Re: I GIVE UP!! 4b's with healthy relaxed hair who don't Stretch what is your regi

secretdiamond said:
You are definitely the first person I thought of when I decided to stop stretching! Just beautiful hair! It CAN be done.

Although, since I've discovered my mistakes from my last 15wk stretch, my hair is much easier to handle now at 8wks post and it seems like I can go on for more weeks... but I won't. :lol: I don't have the time right now to experiment to see if the same matting and tangling problems will happen again. I used to spend days (even a full week) detangling before a relaxer. I don't have that time now so I'll put off stretching for a few more months, but I believe this time, I'll be more successful! However, I ain't going past 10-12 wks EVER! :lol: I don't flat iron my hair to stretch or any other things like braids, weaves, wigs, etc, so I can't go that long and never plan to. :lol:

To the ladies who are having trouble, there have been a couple of threads lately that help and support stretching. Golden tips are in them so check them out if you haven't already. BUT if stretching is just not for you, I say just do what is best for your hair and tailor your regimen accordingly. Looking at Macherie's hair alone should convince anyone that it's possible to have gorgeous flowing relaxed hair without stretching. :)

Aww thanks girlie:p

LadyR said:
I think that the problem some people have with stretching is that we look at the week instead of the ng that we have. Someone may be able to strech for 20 weeks for only have an inch of ng while someone else may have a inch and an half at 12 weeks so that can't strengh as long.

Me myself have stretched up to 20 weeks with CO washes, buns and falls however, my hair grows slow so my 20 weeks may be someone's elses 12 weeks with faster growing hair.

ditto. When I was getting my hair done at the salon I usually could go 8 weeks but it varied. It depended how fast my hair growed. Sometimes it grew faster and at other times slower. I know when my hair was shorter *chin length* my new growth would come quicker. Usually during the 4th week I could see some newgrowth. Theres times the 5th and 6th week my hair still looked fresh and then there were other times when my newgrowth was out of control during the 6th-7th week.

Now that Im doing my own relaxer its underprocessed so I now go 6 weeks. When I get the hang of it Ill go back to 8.

Sometimes I went 10 weeks. Anything over 10 weeks is just brutal for me. Ive done it before and my hair starts do shed and break off.

I do think less manipulation and deep conditioning really does help with stretches. I know it has helped since my hair is underprocessd.

Back