I found the culprit!!! Don't ever let anyone

GodMadeMePretty

I found the culprit!!! Don\'t ever let anyone

tell you that hard water has nothing to do with your hair. (Cathy Howse says this). It absolutely does!!! Lately, my hair has been getting stiff as though I've used a setting lotion in it. Which I don't and I air-dry all the time.

At first I thought it was the Surge since some have reported having their hair dry from the Surge even though I've never used it without putting some type of moisturizer on after it. But after not using Surge and just using my normal leave-ins, my hair was STILL drying CRUNCHY!!! I mean, there were strands sticking together as though I had used setting lotion. I can hear my hair when I touch it.

But then I noticed that my toilets were getting really dirty - like they were before I had my water softener installed. I had to think - when was the last time I bought salt. Wouldn't you know, there was NO salt in my water softener AND the water was filthy. Let me tell you, I had my water tested (I knew before they tested it that it was bad - the test just gave me concrete numbers) and just imagine yourself washing your hair with water and rocks. You get the picture. Grains of rocks will most certainly dry your hair out. I have another day before all the old yucky water is out of the hot water heater and I can't wait to wash my hair with the new water.

And here I was thinking that I wasn't going to be able to transition/stretch out my relaxer if my hair continued to do this.

It's all in the water.

Re: I found the culprit!!! Don\'t ever let anyone

Yes! I second this. I am so happy that distilled water is my friend. That hard water gave me split ends! can u believe that. the one thing that i thought was safe was the thing that made my hair look a plum mess! Hard water is no joke.

I agree. Hard water almost destroyed my hair after I had spent so much energy trying to make it healthy.

Oh jeez! Now I have to do research to find out how to soften my water!!! Thanks for the heads up GMMP.

Hard water is awful for hair. When I lived in Florida the water was so bad!!! I constantly had problems with my hair. Moved back to Louisiana where the water is super soft, and my problems ended.

Ultra Swim Plus Shampoo is a good product to have when you live in hard water area. It removes the buildup.

I also learned that the hard water in the dorms in college absolutely TORE my hair up.

YES YES YES!
Thats why i love this board. Two of my recent devastating issues have already been posted- I'm not alone. Listen HARD WATER IS NO JOKE. i've deduced that's what's causing my breakage. Im terrified to wash my hair until i can afford a shower filter. I got a trim 2 weeks ago to rid snaggly ends- it was beautiful all week until i washed it. when i washed at my mothers house and later at my grandmother's over the holidays, my hair was soft. I come home, and as of wash day Sunday- more snarly, snagged ends! WTF! I felt like crying. I did and Aphogee after my trim which helped a somewhat and i can feel the difference rinsing with distilled water, but i really need to not used the water in my home at all. Im sad im figuring this out so late- this is why my hair seems like its not growing despite the fact i feel so much new growth from surge and vitamins. all the conditioners, regimens ive tried over the year and i half i've lived in my apartment made me think i just had "bad hair" that felt rough even after conditioning. WRONG! My roommate even said the shower water irritates her skin. My regimen is thrown off, since I've cut back from daily rinsing to every other day CO washes to twice a week to now just a once a week deep condition. Do not underestimate how your water can affect your hair. Run, don't walk, to get distilled water to at least alleviate the effects. Im getting a filter the first 60 bucks i get my hands on.

I'm in college now and I ahte the water. I wash my hair less often because it of it. Just once a week. I'm pretty sure Cathy Howse didn't have hrd water because it can surely dey hair.
frown.gif
any other sugestions to solve the hard water problem...i can't buy a water softner system...

GMP ~ I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem. Hard water where I live has made distilled water my hair's best friend.

somebody said that you could get a shower filter from Home Depot for 20 bucks.

Hard water has a lot to do with how you hair and skin feel and react. A lot of members here have shower filters and some use distilled water.

Where do you get that shampoo from?

Is it hard to install a shower filter?

No, it's not hard at all to install. You may need a wrench though.
Baking soda can also help soften one's water but you will have to take a bath then or use a bucket.
smile.gif

Yep, both Home Depot and Sears have shower filters for 20 bucks. I'll be picking one up this weekend for sure.

I love my filter, but I'm still planning on getting a water softening system. I'm only holding out 'cause I may be moving in the next year...

I love my shower filter too and distilled water. I was using distilled water for a while, but then decided to get a filter and it was the best thing I could have done for my hair because the water here in Germany can tear up some hair.

You wont' believe the improvement in your hair / skin , once you have a shower filter in place!
ooo.gif

Get ONE as soon as possible...!
wink.gif

I can definitely testify about the effects of hard water. Ever since I got my shower filter...my skin has been much much softer, my hair is softer and shinier, and another thing, my tub stays cleaner longer. I have ceramic tiles with grout in between and it would get dirty very quickly. I haven't bleached my tiles in a month when I used to do it every week.

Yes, what you ladies say is right about the hard water, we have awful hard water in London and I rinse my hair with either boiled water, or bottled water, which is not so hard and my hair keeps softer.

I live in a campus apartment and *looking at my empty wallet* I'm wondering if the facilities dept. will change it--I know they have special air filters for allergy-prone people, so they may have water filters?
Anyone attempt a work order for this? I may try requesting one, or atlest for them to add some salt to their water softener.

Yall cook with bottled water, right? I can't see life without those GLACIER machines!

Ugh the water in my school is SO hard... the calcium build up is SO bad on the sinks and the shower heads. Even in my photography class we have to take extra measures to prevent the built up on our negatives. I'm just gonna have to buy enough distilled water to last me for atleast a month at a time since that's as often as I can go home
ohwell.gif

Do any of you own those water filter pitchers? If you can't immediately install a shower filter & don't want to buy a lot of bottled water, you can use the filtered water from the pitcher to wash/rinse your hair. Just pour the water into spray pumps, squirt bottles, or whatever.

Oh, that is a great idea!!!! First buy a few gallons of distilled water so you can have some gallons to put your fresh filtered water in. Oh, that is an excellent alternative if you're in the dorms and short on money.

GMMP, thanks for starting this thread. I told my b/f about it on the phone yesterday and by the time I got home last night he had gone to Sears and bought one. I can't wait to wash my hair tonight. I'm sure it'll turn out much better than my Sunday wash.

Wow, debyjay. That's great!!! I'm sure your hair will thank you. I think I'm going to get a shower filter too. The water can't ever be too clean.

Back