I finally got my hair done...

DDHair

And took my braids out. My hair has so much body, but I have been noticing that whenever I get my hair straightened it does. Anyway, this is the first time in the last 3 times I have gotten my hair braided that I didn't suffer any breakage due to the braids. I sprayed Surge and my other braid spray on almost daily and aside from the knots that I encountered when washing the 2 textures, there was no breakage.

By the way, now that my new hair is growing more, how can I prevent these terrible tangles when washing? It seems to have gotten worse, here in month 11.

thats really good to hear ddhair. i think the surge and the braid spray helped a lot. when i get twists in feb. im gonna try the surge and the braid spray. although i dont have to worry about breakage as much because im not transitioning. to avoid tangles i ued to (when i had hair) comb my hair all back, apply a tiny grease or vaseline on the ends and roots (during my very short transition) hop in the shower and wash my hair without manipulating it too much (you know that unneccessary scrubbing and stuff) and comb through once with my shower comb. after i was done i would periodically finger comb in one direction while it was air drying added what ever product while it was damp. hth!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, you said you would put grease or vaseline on the ends? So did you concentrate on washing the ends too much, I am trying to figure out how the grease helped to prevent tangles, do you think it was because the hair was weighed down and not allowed to go every which way? I really want to know, because I hate to say it, but because I had the braids I hadn't washed my hair since October 20th and after trying to wash it on my own and then hearing the beautician wrestle with it, I never want to wash my hair again!

i put applied a small amount not too much to weigh it down. but yeah it sorta keeps the hair alligned but it doesnt counteract the shampooing if you dont use a lot of it. or an even better choice is pretreated with warm evoo for an hour prior to washing as well. profectiv damage free help A LOT as well when i detangled after shampooing i forgot to mention that. its purpose is a detangler but it also serves as a leave in as well. have you ever tried washing your hair while it was in four large braids? i remember my mom doing this when i was a kid because i was tenderheaded and my hair tangled easily when she tried to wash all at once

I agree with Ayeshia about not manipulating you hair too much while washing (definitely don't pile it all on top of your head). Also what kind of shampoos and conditioners are you using? Good detangling shampoos and conditioners can help prevent tangles also.

I use Fantasia IC Lemon Moisturizing Shampoo, Nexxus Biotin Shampoo, and Gueye Detangling Shampoo. I use Lustrasilk Cholestorol, Gueye Conditioner, Fantasia IC Reconstructor, and Abba Recoup. Once I learned how to take care of the tangling, I didn't have the problem anymore, but now I am back to the same old problem, maybe my hair just needs to get used to being washed again and I need to get used to washing it again, but I definitely will try that vaseline thing.

I have not tried washing with the braids, I might have to try that too.

I loosely braid my hair in four sections and then wash in the shower. Let the water run over my hair and put a some shampoo in my hand, apply it to the scalp and squeeze it through out my braids.

When do you undo the braids, when they are dry or before, because that kind of seems like that would tangle the hair also when wet.

my mom undid the braids when they were slightly damp but while they were drying she put some moisturizer and grease on it. it had to help because i dont remember crying as much when she used that technique.

Yay DDHair!!!! Congratulations on your success with the braid take down and on your bouncy swingomatic!! I thought your braids were pretty last Saturday, and I'm sure your hair is gorgeous now too!!!

Back