I don't get why folks are heat training...

Status
Not open for further replies.

faithVA

I have this nice wonderful bald spot in the middle of my head to remind me of my great relaxer days. So relaxers aren't an option for everyone. It's not just about the hair, its about the scalp too.

I don't know that I will ever heat train because I'm too lazy but for me it would be a better option than relaxing.

But the keyword is option. It's nice that we have options and we can pick the one that works for us, our goals and our lifestyles.

OhmyKimB

I get why your curious. But then just ask that specific person. Because what difference does it make? It's not on your head...just like folks who get annoyed that someone wants straight hair in the first place lol.

swirl

IG: rhonda_hair
I really don't understand why someone would want to heat train their hair. Isn't that just as bad as relaxing it? Don't both have the potential to destroy the hair?

Someone please enlighten me cause I am seriously confused about it. My cousin presses her hair every week and her hair is long but thin I just wish she would get a relaxer and call it a day! This is not to offend anyone I'm just really curious cause it seems like more work to always press the hair.

i've wondered about this too. heat training is something that should happen gradually, not forcefully and intentionally. i guess its a way to stay natural while enjoying the benefits of straighter hair (without the stigma of relaxing). just my opinion.

FoxxyLocs

Relaxers contain very strong, very harsh chemicals. Even if heat training causes damage to the hair, the dangers are nowhere near as bad as with relaxers, IMO. Not everyone goes natural because they love their natural texture. Some people love straight hair, but don't want to deal with putting chemicals on their scalps to get it. If you don't mind the chemicals, then that's fine. But if people want to get their hair straight with heat instead of chemicals, I think that's a better option. I always wonder why people always say "oh if you want straight hair just get a relaxer," as if relaxers are so simple and easy. They can be very harmful and damaging, and some people have really bad reactions to them. It makes perfect sense to me that someone would use heat training as an alternative.

I personally never had any major issues with relaxers, other than occasional scalp burns, but I stopped relaxing because I didn't like the idea of putting those chemicals on my head, and because I wanted to see my natural hair. I don't heat train, but I don't understand why people have such strong feelings against it. Why is it that relaxers are ok, but heat training is not?

sherrimberri

Ive been heat training my hair since my last perm in 2007. At the time i didnt know this was a term. I simply went to salon and got a wash, blow dry, and flat iron every other week. I choose to do this because i like my hair straight, i dont like chemicals in my hair, why pay for a perm when i could get the same results without one. I simply cut one step out and saved money and avoided chemicals. At the end of the day i liked the results better too. My hair wasnt sticking to my head and when i washed i still had texture so i can where a wash and go. My hair always remained between sl and apl with or without a perm so its not like heat training did more damage to my hair than the relaxer.
I dont understand why people frown upon heat training a relaxer is just as damaging . At the end of the day its your hair do as you please. I know i will.

hothair

Some people's hair really can't handle chemical relaxers so this is an alternative. Of course as with most things if you don't do it well you may end up with damage.

After reading through I can't wait till this time next year when most of the people renouncing relaxers are back to it:spinning:

Last edited:

Rainbow Dash

It is up to the person. I am 4a/b and thought about heat training. I have learned that oil rinsing and keeping my hair stretched, while it dries, keeps the tangles and knots away. My hair does not fight me as much as it used too. This can be a healthy alternative to those that are dealing with ssk.

Southernbella.

I don't heat train, but I use heat when I feel like it (I'm not averse at all), and I think this has contributed to my hair's health. I've never dealt with SSKs, detangling is a breeze, and it's growing nicely.

I'm never going back to relaxers, but when I feel like wearing my hair straight, heat does the job. I'm sure there are people who like wearing their hair straight but don't feel like dealing with chemicals for whatever reason. I'm not sure what's hard to understand about that...

biancaelyse

I can only speak for my own hair and that of my children (while they are minors.) Heat training is not for us and neither is a relaxer.

Lynnerie

Well I started heat training because I was tired of long detangling sessions, SSK's, and it taking me sooo long to flat iron my hair which I would do a few times a year. Now I flat iron every other week.

At the end of the day folks are heat training for the same reason folks are relaxing or avoiding heat, or whatever. They are doing what works for them.

Attachments

• 2011-07-29%2012.42.44[1].jpg
    2011-07-29%2012.42.44[1].jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 85

blondemane

Well. I have 4b natural hair and I think I'm going to start heat training because ever since I bced my ends have been hell. They knot up something serious and instead of relaxing I'll try heat training first, simply for the money aspect. The point of me starting my hair journey was to have nice hair to wear out and I cant even do that because it tangles. I only want to heat train just a tad to loosen these ends up. Its either that or a texturizer

Also to add, I dont see the point of maintaining my natural texture to its full ability if I cant even wear it out due to knots :nono:

Chrissmiss

My hair was growing well with relaxers (got to MBL), but one mistake by my stylist caused the left side of my hair to begin to break off horribly. The relaxer was just slowly eating away at the left side of my hair. I had to quit them and I'm glad I did.

I am 15 months post relaxer now and I love being 100% in control of my hair. I don't intend to systematically heat train, but I do flatiron my hair every 2 weeks and my hair is thriving. And once my hair is 100% natural I will love having the option of wearing curly natural styles if I want.

Relaxers are not the best option for everyone and heat is not all that bad when used properly.

Pic of my chewed up hair from last Oct: http://naturallina.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=119335204

Aveena

I find it hard to understand because I thought heat training meant that someone was trying to get their hair to remain straight - or get straighter and straighter - even after they wash it.

I thought heat training was a way to prevent reversion when wet?

This is why I am confused.

I totally understand why someone would want to press or flat iron their hair but do not understand why someone would aim to eventually end up with a straighter grade of hair from longterm use of heat.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I have eczema of the scalp and a relaxer is no longer an option. i like staright hair so heat training would be one of the only options for me.

cheerrette

I was relaxed for over 20 years and I still had to flat ironed after each wash so that my hair was straight and silky. I decided to transition because I realized that I did not need to break down the bonds of my hair to straighten it in the first place. I fully intend to wear my hair straight at all times when it is out, but there is no need to relax my hair and then flat iron it when I can just flat iron it and get the same results. I have never had heat damage before but my scalp burns with EVERY relaxer and I am constantly over processed. Looks like using heat to get the style I desire for my hair is the best option and it makes a lot of sense to me. For MY hair there is nothing wrong with heat as long as its done right, and I got that downpacked (throwback!). Infact, I often refer to my hair as being heat activated.

kandake

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Some people chose the chemically straighten their hair, others choose to heat straighten. People are free to choose which option works best for them and their hair. It's as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.