I don't get why folks are heat training...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinkyhairlady

I really don't understand why someone would want to heat train their hair. Isn't that just as bad as relaxing it? Don't both have the potential to destroy the hair?

Someone please enlighten me cause I am seriously confused about it. My cousin presses her hair every week and her hair is long but thin I just wish she would get a relaxer and call it a day! This is not to offend anyone I'm just really curious cause it seems like more work to always press the hair.

Amerie123

People with relaxers also flat iron as well.. so, some may feel like you might as well cut out the "middle man" (relaxers), and just flat iron hair that's not chemically processed.

BraunSugar

Some ladies like to wear their hair straightened but some people's hair can't tolerate a relaxer. Other people's hair can't tolerate frequent heat. Some people can do both and some can do neither. I don't view it as a bad thing. It's all in how you care for your hair after you do either or.

Melody.Monroe

I don't get it either...curious to see the responses. I put LOADS of heat protectant on my hair!! I don't want scraggly ends...especially once I finally cut of these relaxed ends....

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Okay :look:
I've thought the same thing for a long time. Heat training is a non chemical way of getting your hair to do something it wasn't meant to do. If you want straight hair 24/7, relax it.

Roux

I questioned it before I went natural but for some people they prefer straight hair, get so many SSK's while hair is kinky, can't handle a relaxer, or just don't like their hair texture. So I understand it in that regard.

However, I think that there are a lot of people that are trying it after seeing the results of others and aren't have so great results and are getting breakage and other hair issues as a result. Not going to knock it, their head not mine, but if it were me and I knew that I could safely get a relaxer without burning or thinning i'd go that route instead. Actually seems healthier.

newgrowth15

Heat training is an option for some who want straight hair without the potential of damaging their scalp with chemicals. As with everything else, it is an individual choice. I respect everyone's right to do what they want with their own hair.

contsantia

I dont mind people who heat straighten their hair. Its safer than chemicals.... Some people who press their hair take great hair not to do too much damage to their hair. I'm am natural and roller set my hair weekly so my hair is hardly in its natural state, it's pretty much "straight" all the time. I dont relax it because it dont like the chemicals, and I dont like paying for it and I also like the nappyness of my hair(which is another reason to heat train..to keep the fullness provided by napps). I see heat trainning hair like lightening your hair with lemon juice, its much safer and can be better monitored

DaiseeDay

Some people just don't want to use a harsh chemical in their hair, but that doesn't mean they don't want straight hair; Some people just want a looser curl pattern - without using a chemical; And some people want to be natural, but also like their hair straight sometimes, heat training will make it so that their hair doesn't revert as easily.

Rei

some people's hair just don'tn take relaxers that well. Mine never did, and I almost always got burned, no matter which stylist i went to :T

If i was going to go back to straight hair i would heat train

MyAngelEyez~C~U

My daughter has beautiful BSL "heat-trained" hair and is 2 years post relaxer. When she was relaxed, we couldn't get her hair past neck length. She likes to wear her hair straight and, for her, being heat-trained has been a much healthier alternative to relaxers (proof's in the puddin'). I was heat trained until I relaxed at 18, and my hair pre-relaxer was healthy and thick. Ain't nothin' wrong with it, and if I ever feel like I wanna rock straight hair most of the time, I'll be heat-training.

MilkChocolateOne

Okay :look:
I've thought the same thing for a long time. Heat training is a non chemical way of getting your hair to do something it wasn't meant to do. If you want straight hair 24/7, relax it.

Relaxers aren't the only option for straight hair. My grandmother and aunts were straight naturals for years. All of them had healthy long hair.

Damaged but not out

If i wanted straight hair I would heat train over relaxing again. Done right, you retain the thickness and body of natural hair.

For me, after having experienced going from only good hair stylists relaxing my head( for the first 4 years) to the random craziness I went through with others( in the final and 5th yr).

I would risk a heat burn over a chemical burn.

RoundEyedGirl504

I would have done it but my hair is difficult to train and will revert no matter what. I find that straightened natural hair especially for folks with fine hair can look thicker and more lush than it would relaxed. I opted for the relaxer due to the reversion issue.

But nothing wrong with either one to me.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I do think relaxing is easier and you have less reversion. However, heat training is a path I would like to try again in the future. I prefer strait hair on me and I will hopefully be successful with longer hair.

Jhuidah

I do think relaxing is easier and you have less reversion. However, heat training is a path I would like to try again in the future. I prefer strait hair on me and I will hopefully be successful with longer hair.

NOOOOOOOO! JUST LEAVE YOUR HAIR THE **** ALONE!

Had to get that out.:look:

Kinkyhairlady

I see there are benefits to heat training if done right but I just feel like it's so much heat to be applying to the hair all the time. When I was relaxed I got a wash and set weekly and the only heat I got was sitting under the dryer. When I get a press and curl my heart aches cause of all the heat I'm applying so I can't imagine doing it often. I'm not knocking anyone who does it though. If it works for them that's good, I was just curious what the benefits were.

MeechUK

MeechUK
I would happily heat train my hair when it is longer! In terms of options I feel it is a better & safer alternative after my experience with relaxers. I'm not critising relaxers they are great for women with dense hair for manageability. Brittany on YouTube has a great tutorial on heat training for natural hair, which has helped her to retain length, hair health and texture.

MeechUK

Aireen

NO! Step away from the flat iron and the blow drier. You need some consistency. At least get to APL first, DDTexlaxed. Give your hair a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised as your hair grows. :yep:

CrueltyFree

Heat training is an option for some who want straight hair without the potential of damaging their scalp with chemicals. As with everything else, it is an individual choice. I respect everyone's right to do what they want with their own hair.

This should be on a t shirt. Or maybe a list of hair board commandments :look:

silenttullip

Heat training makes it easier for many to cope with ssks or avoid them. Some end up ripping through curly hair vs sliding through straight hair. Different strokes for different folks. I don't see it as bad as relaxing because there's NO such thing as relaxer protectant. lol

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I think heat training like relaxing, is a form of controlled damage. Both in their own ways break down the hair strand, but with care you can still have thick and long hair.

nicole625

I heat trained my daughter's hair (didn't know at the time that there was a name for it) and she has very healthy and full hair. Never had an issue with breakage and so forth. I refused to bother with relaxers because of how damaging it was to my own hair. Its just a matter of preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.