"I can't believe this is me!"

Glib Gurl

Natural ladies, do you ever see your hair and think,

:grin::grin::grin:"I can't believe this is me!!!!" :grin::grin::grin:

For years, I swore that I'd never go natural . . . I kept my stuff laaaaaaait'totheside

But then I would look at natural ladies with their beautiful coils and kinks and think, "Well, my hair would never look that good....they must have 'good hair.'"

And here I am, now one year natural . . . wearing my hair in some of those same styles I envied from afar (hello, pineapple!), getting compliments all the time and having almost every day be a "good hair day."

Is it just me?

Rotfl So funny that you posted this right now! Today I finally found a winter routine I'm very happy with and it's.... the pineapple! I'm almost two years in and I have layers so the pineapple has always been something I've wanted to do, but couldn't. I love it! It's actually cute enough to wear as a style, but it also stretches my roots so when I take it down my hair looks great.

My whole natural journey I've protective styled like mad, and now I have soo much hair when I wear it down sometimes I don't recognize myself lol

I thought your siggy was my hair for a second. Talk about confused. We might be hair twins!

I'm always pleasantly surprised when I find something new I can do with my hair that I couldn't do before.

No it's not just you. I've never really been afraid of my natural texture as much as I was just afraid of my own hair period. I wore full weave and wigs that I made for many years. I was beginning to get tired of wearing them and started to become more concerned with the health of my hair. It was finally starting to retain length and I knew that I didn't want it to be hidden forever. I was looking for alternatives to relaxers and that is when I started finding out more information about ladies that were natural.

My plan was to become a "heat trained" natural, but after evaluating my lifestyle I knew that using heat frequently wasn't going to allow me to have healthy hair. I was terrified and for the first year of my journey I thought I might have made a mistake, but I fought through it. I'm finally in a good place now.

Nope, not just you. I was relaxed from around age 11 - 13 and never thought I'd have natural hair. I don't even like my hair straight these days. I washed out a blow out after a few days.

The best is when you finally figure out the products and styles that work best. It took a long time and a lot of products and twist patterns but I can get a perfect twist out that will last for 4-5 days, longer if I retwist on dry hair.

I love your curls!!

It's not just you. I've only been natural for almost two months after a long transition and nowadays, I can't pass a mirror without shaking my hair to see my curls/kinks. I never thought this time three years ago, I'd be natural.

Congrats girlie! I know how you feel. Last night I was watching hair vids and was so happy that I could finally try some of the styles. Hell I was elated that I had enough hair to fit into a butterfly clip. I've been natural for almost one year and I have spent it under wigs. I look forward to letting loose and wearing out my own hair in a couple of months.

Nope, not just you. I was relaxed from around age 11 - 13 and never thought I'd have natural hair. I don't even like my hair straight these days. I washed out a blow out after a few days.

Someone asked me the other day if I would ever get a blow out or anything. And you know what I said? "I wore my hair straight for 30 years. I'm good." LOL!

Thanks for the compliment re: the coils!

Congrats on being a year natural! There were times that I would look at myself and say the same thing! After 27 years of perming, going natural was the last thing on my mind. Now, perming in the last thing on my mind. Never say never!

Congrats!!!! I BC'd at 36 and couldn't believe it either. I can't see your picture. Did you take it down?

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Natural ladies, do you ever see your hair and think,

:grin::grin::grin:"I can't believe this is me!!!!" :grin::grin::grin:

For years, I swore that I'd never go natural . . . I kept my stuff laaaaaaait'totheside

But then I would look at natural ladies with their beautiful coils and kinks and think, "Well, my hair would never look that good....they must have 'good hair.'"

And here I am, now one year natural . . . wearing my hair in some of those same styles I envied from afar (hello, pineapple!), getting compliments all the time and having almost every day be a "good hair day."

Is it just me?[/QUOTE

You are too funny. It's strange that I thought about you a few days ago and wondered if you were still on here. Your name is one of those that you don't forget. I didn't know that you had gone natural. With that said your hair is beautiful.

Congrats...I know its a wonderful feeling...

As for me I didnt feel that way....I was only relaxed for about 4yrs and though I had real nice looking and long relaxed hair I just never felt it was "me"....so going back natural was more of a "coming home" journey :)

Yes, when I was just becoming a teenager and I didn't know how to cope with my curly hair, my family couldn't help because they had no clue and my mum is white. It was dry and upset me a lot. Now my hair is healthy and long and I love my hair yay!

Your hair looks great.

I had that feeling recently at Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's house. A cousin asked me what I was doing with all that hair over there. Confused, I looked in the mirror across from the table and there all of it was. Surprised me. LOL

I can't see your picture. Did you take it down?

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

It's in my siggy....

I had that feeling recently at Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's house. A cousin asked me what I was doing with all that hair over there. Confused, I looked in the mirror across from the table and there all of it was. Surprised me. LOL

LOL for real! Almost every time I go to the bathroom and wash my hands I have to stop and look at myself and remind myself that that's me!

I just hit my one year anniversary last month (transitioned for nearly 2 years prior). I feel the same way. Every time I look in the mirror, I am happy with myself and what I see (except for these darn wrinkles--dangit!!! Which brings me to my next point): I so wish I had done this sooner!!!!

I've been natural for 3 years, and wear my hair in a bun most of the time. I've been wearing my hair in a twist out for the past couple of weeks, and seeing it out and big surprises me. I sneak trips to the bathroom to check it out sometimes!:lachen: It's about to go back in the bun, but this has been fun.

I am only 7 months into my transition and I can't wait to see my all-natural hair.
It must be exciting and empowering and I can't wait until it's my turn!

Back