HOW TO PREVENT POST PARTUM SHEDDING

Evolving78

I had a baby boy 7 weeks ago, and I was wondering does anyone know any ways to prevent my hair from shedding? I heard it usually happens after three months, so I want to get a head start on it now. Thanks.

Postpartum shedding is a hormonal response to the delivery of your baby. It occurs as your body returns itself to normal hormonal functioning following the high surge of hormones during the pregnancy. The only way you'd be able to actually prevent it from happening is to put that baby back in there. :lol: I've heard some people say that breastfeeding allows you to hold out on the hormones a little longer, but it didn't work for me. Not everyone will experience the shedding though- you may get lucky! I didn't experience it with my son, but my daughter---goodness she nearly took all my hair out.:lol:

There have been a few good threads on shedding around here pretty recently. Some people have tried things like MSM powder, garlic shampoos, etc to curb or manage the shedding when it gets out of hand. But again, if you find these things not to work for you, don't fret. Shedding is hard to get a handle on especially with it being largely in the hormonal/internal domain. Just make sure you are eating right, sleeping, and keeping the stress down as much as possible. Those things tend to aggravate shedding episodes.

HTH.

I don't think you can. My hair shedded like crazy 3 months after having my child. I completely lost the hair at my temples. The good thing is that it is temporary and it will grow back. They say the extra hair that you grow while pregnant you loose soon after.

Sistaslick said:
Postpartum shedding is a hormonal response to the delivery of your baby. It occurs as your body returns itself to normal hormonal functioning following the high surge of hormones during the pregnancy. The only way you'd be able to actually prevent it from happening is to put that baby back in there. :lol: I've heard some people say that breastfeeding allows you to hold out on the hormones a little longer, but it didn't work for me. Not everyone will experience the shedding though- you may get lucky! I didn't experience it with my son, but my daughter---goodness she nearly took all my hair out.:lol:

There have been a few good threads on shedding around here pretty recently. Some people have tried things like MSM powder, garlic shampoos, etc to curb or manage the shedding when it gets out of hand. But again, if you find these things not to work for you, don't fret. Shedding is hard to get a handle on especially with it being largely in the hormonal/internal domain. Just make sure you are eating right, sleeping, and keeping the stress down as much as possible. Those things tend to aggravate shedding episodes.

HTH.
I pray it doen't happen, and if it does than I pray it doesn't hinder my progress. Thanks.

Girl you never know! You may get lucky! I know I didn't lose a hair the first time around, but boy oh boy that second time. :ohwell:

I don't know if this had something to do with it. But since my blood pressue was still high and other health problems. I had to still take pre-nats for 5 months after my daughters birth.

Cant prevent it .. :(

I shed and although it looked ridiculous, you cant really tell and I think Im finally done and my son is one yr old. I didnt start shedding til he was at least 6 months..

I feel for ya *hugs*

Back