How to prepare virgin hair for relaxer

Caramel Jewel

I've decided to relax my hair...I'm not new to relaxers... I've had one for over ten years and I only recently decided to go natural...I would like to know if there are and special tips I should consider doing to prep my hair for it...

My appointment is Tuesday...:)

I think making sure your hair is balanced, thats all I can think of. I think the weeks after the relaxer is what sets the tone.

You need to make sure that its got the right amount of moisture and protein. I personally would say that the week before relaxing, do a protein treatment followed by a moisture DC. Will think of more later... :)

@Caramel Jewel by balanced I mean like a previous poster said, a moisture and protien balance, your stands should be able have an elasticity to it, thats how you know you have a balance. Do a protien treatment then an overnight (or all day) moisturizing DC. These are things that I believe should be done period whether or not you were relaxing your hair but just for healthy balanced hair.

You'll be fine by doing a protein/DC treatment within 4+ days of your appt. You should also detangle and perhaps section your hair before-hand to make it easier on the stylist. And of course, don't scratch or rub your scalp :).

Good luck! And be sure to post pics :)

Last edited:
Please dont do it!

Ok, I was relaxed for over 20 years and am now happily natural, so I guess I don't want you to look back and wish you hadn't relaxed..

But if it's what you want to do, make sure your scalp is healthy, no sores or scratching. Don't use a strong relaxer, don't leave it in too long, if it's bone straight when your done, you may have done serious damage, so get the relaxer in asap. Do you have any permanent hair coloring in your hair? If so, especially if it's highlights, that can cause damage when you apply relaxer to dyed hair.

Don't leave it in waiting for the tingle or in some cases burn before you wash it out. Don't apply color for a couple of weeks if you use color. Make sure it is all washed and rinsed out. Deep condition your hair, don't use heat like you may have done with virgin hair..you may want to ask good friends you trust that are relaxed and their hair looks great what salon they go to..you may want to have this done professionally..but just because someone does hair, doesn't mean they will treat your hair as if it's theirs..so be careful of the stylist you use if you get it done professionally.

I added quite a bit of conditioner and olive oil to my relaxer and mixed very very thoroughly so that it was even. This gave me more time to apply it.

I also detangled really well first without getting the comb on my scalp.

I mapped out the different coarseness of my hair and separated it into loose Bantu knots secured with a bobby pin or just secured by itself. Prepped with regular old grease in between the Bantu parts.

I knew which ones to unravel first... I did crown, then went upwards closer to my forehead but not my edges, then did the side and back ones, paused a minute or two because by edges are a lot less coarse than the other areas. Did the edges and started smoothing the crown and other areas with just my gloved hands.... Edges last. Only at the end after my hair was much looser did I use comb to smooth.

Rinsed the relaxer out thoroughly with a powerful shower nozzle.

Then added a protein conditioner... Aphogees regular protein conditioner ( not the one that gets solid). That stayed in for a minute or less, rinsed.

Then Creme of Nature neutralizing shampoo, applied twice.

Then a mixture of several of my fave conditioners,... Deep conditioned and rinsed.

It came out really well.

Below is a pic of the Bantu knots. I also added grease in the big Bantu knots.

Tip: get snug fitting latex or hospital like gloves. My memory of using box perms are those extremely thin and loose gloves that stick to the relaxer and it's hard to work with. If u dont work in the hospital u could pick up a box at home depot or walgreens for less than 5 bucks. After u could use the rest when cleaning the bathroom, chicken, cutting onions etc so it wont be a waste.

Also I wouldnt wash my hair for at least a week prior. My hair doesn't get oily very quickly so it would be stripped and naked if I washed it 4 days before a perm

image-1958352874.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to not do it....I was all prepared and detangled when I left my house for work that day....but as I worked I sort of decided to get it straightened and maybe just straighten it from time to time, which I have not done, and see how I like that instead...

So i did go but i asked her to straighten it instead, she did it, I can't complain....but when I left the salon my hair was tied up in a pony tail, I have thick hair...it was so big and it didn't bend like relaxed hair does....i dont know if it was her technique or my hair....but she does not specialize in natural styles....she's good but I would say she specializes in glueing those wigs on stockings, and perms and stuff...

She blew it out and used a straight iron....but I won't go to her for that often...if i did my now thick and armpit length hair might become thin and wispy with a lot of broken strands....

Sounds like her technique was the issue. Also your hair should be well conditioned/moisturized before straightening.

Sent from my HTC Evo

Caramel Jewell,

Sounds like you have beautiful healthy hair!
I too miss my straight styles, but I realize hairstyles can vary with natural hair based on the season, and I had to accept what my hair was going to do based on the weather so I didn't damage it due to wanting a particular style.

My hair stays straighter longer and behaves just like it has a relaxer in it during the fall and winter.. Today in VA, it's misting rain, and I wouldn't even try to keep my natural hair straight during the summer with the humidity and rain...but you can still rock straight styles in the summer or spring as long as its low humidity...
:)

Back