How to get wet 'n wavy weave to wave up???

LadyPaniolo

This wet 'n wavy weave hair is NOT what I expected. The package says the more you wet it, the wavier it gets. But it barely waves at all... even when I had it drenched in the shower!

I know some people say to put mousse on it, but I hate that stickiness. What else can I do to get some decent waves out of this hair? I paid way more than my cheap self usually will shell out for, in the hopes that I could wear this hair for a long while and have it look like something.

Should I put some gel on it? Even putting conditioner on it didn't help. :sad:

I'm at a loss, what to do????

Yeah, I was thinking for you to try mousse. When I used it in the past it didn't really cause stickness on human wave hair (for braids). I just used enough to help define curl and add shine.

I would suggest going to YouTube. I remember watching a video of a girl with wet and wavy weave and the stylist revived the wave. Search for it on there.

You can wet it and then put two strand twists in it while wet and have it dry with the twist. When dry you loose it and it becomes wavy this way. You can put a little setting lotion if you dont want to use mouse.

Have you tried Let's Jam? or Fantasia IC Gel? When I wore my wet n' wavy install, I would wet my hair and apply one of those products. Worked great for me.

When I had wet n wavy for micros when I got married, the braider dipped the ends in scalding hot water (none of the heat touched my real hair, though!!!) Then, she took it out of the pot of water (I had my head bent backwards), dried and cooled it and put a very light gel on it. She trimmed the ends as well. It came out very wavy.

HTH!

Blessings
cj

You can also use products made for curly hair. Treat that hair just like you would your own. While it's still wet, try scrunching some conditioner in it instead of gels. See how that works.

When I used to wear this (of course it depends on the brand), water alone would make it go wavy but then it would dry and go puffy and I hated it:nono:. Gels are a no no but I think lotta body worked well if I remember correctly and you could try S-Curl. Forget sprays, gels or anything sticky. You really shouldn't have to do much at all with this type of hair, just moisturise, style and go.

Try spraying with a water/conditioner mix and scrunch it. If that doesn't work try misiting and them braiding in like 6 celie plaits- that should definitelu work.

When I get wet and wavy i wash and condition w/wash and curl shamp/cond.. The shamp imo is what reallly gets it curly! It's kinda hard to find it though! Sometimes I see the cond only @ rite aid and sometimes I find it @ the bss

I'm having this issue now, and I really just think this hair is bs...its not gonna wave up...false advertisement. I'm so pissed...leaving for my vacay on Monday and I can't buy another type of hair because the bss isn't open on sunday smh. I think I'm going to write this company and letter :nono: They are also lying about this being human hair...it doesn't even get 'wet' when I wash it

Last edited:
I use mouse, a diffuser, and a lot of patience. A diffuser usually always works for me, but if it doesn't, I would just sometimes put the hair in braids and go out in the sun to let the hair air dry. This resulted in beachy waves.

Maybe it's the hair. All I used to do was wet it and apply mousse. For some reason mousse seemed to work better on the hair than gel for me.

I thought all you had to do was shampoo, condition (ACV rinse in my case) and voilà!

I have only used wet and wavy hair for braids and the ends that didn't contain my hair went wavy w/o any product--you can see a bit of the wavy part in the first pic (Beverly Johnson wet and wavy):
Afterawash-vi.jpg

The hair in the braids below is actually hisandher.com water wave WEAVE hair whose tracks I cut off. It too would just go wavy when I wash. This was immediately after a wash:
IMG_5069-vi.jpg

And even though the hisandher.com hair is over a year old, it still gets wavy at the ends that don't contain my hair when I wash. You can see the waves stick out of the Curlformers here:
Curformersonwetbraids-vi.jpg

I do not use any products AT ALL during the life of the hair on my head, so maybe that makes a difference. Even when I do a braidout, which gives waves throughout the length of my braids (including the part containing my hair) I simply cornrow it damp and then when dry, I undo. Not having any products keeps the shine of the hair as good as new and It doesn't get frizzy (Beverly Johnson wet and wavy):
bitmap58697-vi.jpg

And if the hair can look so fresh and shiny (not frizzy) with my hair which has no shine in the mix, I imagine a weave would look even better.

I remember when I used to use synthetic hair, the less crap I put on it, the longer the hair looked fresh. I think in the name of trying to accomplish a style, we sometimes do way too much.

ETA: Even though I don't use products for the braid-outs, they last for a few days. I wore a braid-out on Friday, and for the last two days, I've been feeling so exhausted that I've just been falling asleep fully clothed on the couch before later dragging myself to bed. The means, I have gone to bed without baggying my head or wearing anything over it, coz in that zombie mode of walking to bed, hair was the last thing on my mind. Still, my 3-day old braid-out can probably make it out to the store w/o anyone calling the guys in white coats to take me away. And BTW, if it looks uneven, it's because my HIH disease causes me to redo some braids whenever my hands are idle, so by day 3 not all are uniformly wavy. But if I hadn't messed with them, they'd be. The 3-day old braid-out this morning after a second night of fighting w/ my pillow:
3DayOldUncaredforBraidout-vi.jpg

Last edited:
@Nonie
Beautiful braids with the hisandher hair. If/when I ever get to the point where I can commit to braids again I know what to go for.

@OP
Most hair will wave or curl up including some yaki unless it's been processed to bone straight. You prolly need to shampoo, condition and scrunch it with your fingers and it will dry wavy. If you use leave in use just a little bit of product formulated for curly hair. Or you can use a very small amount of regular conditioner. I've also tried aloe gel mixed with a drop or two of oil. Nonie makes a good point about not using products at all, but if you think your weave really does need something it's very important not to be heavy handed. I don't like mousse or sticky gel on weave hair coz that makes it look ratty fast.

Back