How to Fro

keke

Ok everyone i seem to be having a problem with fro'ing my hair, meaning when i see these beautiful pics of folx putting their hair into an afro puff i cant seem to really do that myself. I try to bring it up to puff but its either i have the wrong hair clasps or something cause i want that full round circumference fro. I can get it into a ponytail but that makes it all small. How do you fro right? I do have some bra straps but i seem to be using them wrong plus my natural hair and this darn shrinkage keeps on pulling back when i try to stretch it out a bit. I'm trying to have flat twists in the front and nice lil updo puff in the back. The twists are coming out fine :d but my puff is another thing.

I was thinking of just bantu knotting my hair back there to get some curl and then once thats done i can then take it down and pull it up and have a nice curly puff but its something i am not doing right. It be lop sided not all the hair is in there. :p LOL

Check out www.roshini.net! She has instructions on how she does her puff.

As for me, while my hair is damp, I brush toward the crown all around. I then take a scarf, roll it up diagonally so that it's kind of long and then tie it around the perimeter of my hair/head. As I pull it tighter, it smoothes down my hair and gathers it (do this slowly). When I get the puff to where I want it to be, I knot the scarf and let the ends dangle and go!...oh, don't forget lipgloss and earrings
grin.gif

I have pics on my site.

This Roshini is a pretty girl with beautiful hair and a FANTASTIC site!!!
smile.gif
i like the thing she said about the grey hairs. i hadnt thought about that, but i also have no intention of pulling any of mine out...i heard if you get rid of one that six more show up for the funeral
laugh.gif
thanks for the link -- jainygirl

oooh ok, ty for pookey's link cause i see she is doing something that i was already doing i just needed to practice more with it. Ok then thank you, anymore links are good too.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
Check out www.roshini.net! She has instructions on how she does her puff.

As for me, while my hair is damp, I brush toward the crown all around. I then take a scarf, roll it up diagonally so that it's kind of long and then tie it around the perimeter of my hair/head. As I pull it tighter, it smoothes down my hair and gathers it (do this slowly). When I get the puff to where I want it to be, I knot the scarf

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what i do
smile.gif
the scarf is so much easier than trying to use a ponytail elastic cause i end up breaking them lol. plus it causes less stress on my hairline.

Now that i have accomplished that one goal my next is to put all this shrinking natural hair into a nice poof ponytail. I am thinking of just sectioning off my hair starting from the back and just combing it (gently of course w/a wide tooth comb) wetting the hair i guess first and then once i get a good mount of it combed through i will section that off w/a lil scrunchy and then start on another section and then after that i will take loose some of the pony's and try to put them into a larger pony. Maybe make 2 pony puffs and then from there make a large one or leave it. Does this sound right on how im going to try to make a pony puff? Can you all understand what i was trying to say? LOL. hope so.

I understand what you're trying to do, I think. Why not just brush it up into a pony puff while it's damp and just secure it? That worked fine for me and sounds alot easier than what you are describing...

Also remember just cause youre wearing a natural hairstyle doesnt mean the hair cant be damamged. Months of pulling your hair into tight puffs can lead to hair line breakage. I believe roshini's site discusses this. Try wearing your hair out w/o the headbands and looser headbands as well. Try to rotate your hairstyles.

Take care!!

Well i did the thing i talked about(cept i used a detangler instead of wetting it. i 4got. lol) and i got the lower part of my hair together into a puff but i still could not get all the rest in there either. (sigh. smh) im gonna try it with water, im afraid to cause of shrinkage. If it dont work again then i'll wait till my mama comes home and i'll have her hold out my hair some and then i'll pony it then. I'm trying to get my hair nice and suitable so that if i get a call about a job i can go in looking well. But then again maybe i'll just go and get a wig. lol

Back