How Much, is Too Much?

Natirelle

How much are you willing to pay for a pair of Hair-Shears?

Do anyone has a specific brand of Hair Shears they swear by?

charmtreese

I paid 350 for mine, and that was the sell price! But it was well worth it cause they slice through hair like butter!

DrC

Washi.

These are the ones I have:
http://www.washiscissor.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/SZZ2_WEB_BGD.png

I've used and have other brands, but these are my favorites!

Ohhh niiiiice :love3: . I remember seeing them at a hair show some time back.

I have Joewell shears since thats what we used back in Cosme. School. So used to them. But if I could afford it, I would get Washi... or Kamisori.

as in $350 for scissors wow

Kerryann

:yep: yep its worth it.

Last edited:

charmtreese

Ohhh niiiiice :love3: . I remember seeing them at a hair show some time back.

I have Joewell shears since thats what we used back in Cosme. School. So used to them. But if I could afford it, I would get Washi... or Kamisori.

Oh joewell has some nice shears!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i wouldnt go over 10. i paid 5 for mine and they are good quality

i only have used the lacross barber shears by sally hansen.the red and black ones. it hasnt let me down my ends always look great and these scissors have stayed sharp for years. i only use them on my hair.

Last edited:

DrC

Oh joewell has some nice shears!

Yeah they do, but if I could I would upgrade to a Japanese Brand like yours. Nothing wrong with Joewell, they use Jap steel, but I think they're limited when it comes to custom designs.

frizzy

I paid about $70 for a pair of shears from Sally's. That's as high as I'm going unless I start making money with them.

kittikat24

LOL Y'all I had no idea we'd even be discussin' prices over $20!:lachen:
My my, y'all some professionals up in hurr:rolleyes: hey its all good, but I know I didn't pay more than $7 for mine:blush:

iri9109

i might pay $25-30...i paid like $10 for some cheap conair scissors and they were the worst thing for my hair...household scissors actually work better than them smh...

DrC

LOL Y'all I had no idea we'd even be discussin' prices over $20!:lachen:
My my, y'all some professionals up in hurr:rolleyes: hey its all good, but I know I didn't pay more than $7 for mine:blush:

:lachen:

There is actually a science behind the type of hair shears you use and buy. Its about the steel of the shears which can make or break your hair honestly.

Last edited:

greenandchic

Wow! I *only* paid about $15 for mine. I keep them locked up and don't use them for anything else. I only trim my hair a couple times a year so I really don't need anything too expensive.

frizzy

Cutting with sub-par scissors is mostly why I'm not MBL/WL now. I really don't like raggedy ends and trimming with ishtty scissors led to more trims, then I ended up getting full hair cut.

I had some breakage last Summer from a tight hair clip and hair pins (SMDH) I could soooo cut 2 inches off with my nice scissors to get my thick ends back, but I won't. :pray:

So the moral of the story is:
If you are using the less precision or household scissors/shears, keep an eye on the health of your ends. If they are dry and won't straighten well when flat ironing, they are probably damaged/shredded.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I have a stainless steel pair I paid only $10 at the BSS, I think the company is Diana. I've had them for over two years and work just fine for me.

ETA: the company is actually Annie. I've done all my trims, and even my BC with them since 2009, and they have never affected my hair retention or straighten abilities when I want to wear straight hair.

Last edited:

DrC

frizzy
Thank you very much.
I was waiting for someone to come in and explain it.

Cutting with sub-par scissors is mostly why I'm not MBL/WL now. I really don't like raggedy ends and trimming with ishtty scissors led to more trims, then I ended up getting full hair cut.

I had some breakage last Summer from a tight hair clip and hair pins (SMDH) I could soooo cut 2 inches off with my nice scissors to get my thick ends back, but I won't. :pray:

So the moral of the story is:
If you are using the less precision or household scissors/shears, keep an eye on the health of your ends. If they are dry and won't straighten well when flat ironing, they are probably damaged/shredded.

nlamr2013

Gosh are those blades made from diamonds???!??!? $300+ that's crazy a little excessive too unless your making money off them. but just for self trims? Whoa (no offense) but whoa.

DrC

Gosh are those blades made from diamonds???!??!? $300+ that's crazy a little excessive too unless your making money off them. but just for self trims? Whoa (no offense) but whoa.

nadaa16

:lol: no its the make and quality of the blade, sometimes the custom design people add to it.
Japanese steel shears are considered the best meaning it will have the highest precision on your haircut, the flow of it, and the health of your ends.

Thats not to say the regular person HAS to go out and spend an excessive amount of money on shears. Though there are other types of steel that work just as well, I consider myself to be a scissor snob, so IMO, If I want high quality ends, I get the high quality tools that can do the job and is worth the investment...especially as a former stylist.

I have seen stylists using cheap scissors on a clients hair.
:perplexed. Yeah. The client loves the haircut but little do they know in a few months their ends are going to be raggedy.

Cheap 5-10-15 dollars shears.....people can buy them if they want..but those type of shears are made from soft low grade steel which has a terrible blade edge, and will quickly become dull , causing an unclean, and not so precise hair cut (bad ends).

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

I've never paid more than $20 (usually $10) for shears. I get mine from sally's. I trim my ends maybe a few times a year and I've never had any issues with retention, splits, or raggedy ends. I would never ever pay more than $30 for a pair.

Sent from my HTC Evo