How many combs do you own and how do you use them?

How many combs do you use and for what purpose?

Votes: 8 16.7%

Votes: 11 22.9%

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • 4 or more

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dlove

I have three combs:
  1. Wide tooth detangler for shower detangling or damp detangling
  2. Rat tail for parting and ensuring tangles are out before straightening or scalp braiding or scalp flat twisting
  3. Wide tooth styling to comb tangles of previously detangled hair out again after shower detangling (not really sure why I need to keep using this...thinking about loosing that because I probably am overing combing)
What do you use and why?

Last edited:
I voted 2..a wide tooth for detangling and a rat tail cause it came with my rollers..I only use the wide tooth I'm scurred of the rat tail...

I have 3

Rattail for comb chase method when flatironing.
Showercomb to detangle my hair after I condition my hair
Large wide tooth for detangle my hair before I shampoo my hair.

Lately I have been using my shower comb for detangling my dry and wet hair.

I have 3

Rattail for comb chase method when flatironing.
Showercomb to detangle my hair after I condition my hair
Large wide tooth for detangle my hair before I shampoo my hair.

Lately I have been using my shower comb for detangling my dry and wet hair.

ME TOO!!!! I feel like I lose less hair with it. I also feel it does not snag my hair.

I use my combs in this order on wash day after I am 7 weeks post.
shower comb
detangling comb
rat tail comb
I do it this way because just using one comb does not rid my hair of all the shed hair. It takes a while but it is worth it.

All others
large tooth comb: I was using this instead of the shower comb but I am moving away from this
barber comb (one end has teeth closer together than a rat tail comb and I feel is better for flat iron chasing)

So all together 5 which will soon be reduced to 4

Last edited:
I have several combs but two types.

A large tooth comb for detangling and every day combing.
A rat tail bone comb for parting and flat ironing.

I have tons of combs. I buy them like I buy conditioners, I just happen to be in the hair care aisle picking them up. They are mostly wide toothed but I have wide tooth rat tailed, fine tooth rat tailed, fine tooth with a metal rat tails, fine tooth barber combs, medium toothed, wooden combs, rake style combs, plastic piks, metal pics, shower combs. I have my favorites but I usually use my wide tooth combs or shower combs to detangle and the metal rat tail to part. IMO, it makes a more crisp part. I loose them sometimes if I'm doing my hair on the couch or in the bedroom. I always want to be able to have a decent comb even if it isn't my favorite.
I have been dying to get some seamless combs but I'm gonna wait a little while.

I have 1 ouchless goody widetooth shower comb (hangs in my shower)
2 fake seamless widetooth combs (used to hang in shower)
and a bag of rat tail combs that you get at the dollar store :look:

I have a pick for my afro puff. Short teeth on combs don't do my 'fro any justice. So I have the black fist with metal teef comb that seems to be saying "Power to the People".
41q6GciJdUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then I have two seamless short-teeth combs, one wide-tooth and one fine-tooth. I use this when washing my hair in big plaits and having to undo the plaits one at a time to comb through during shampooing, conditioning or rinsing. I find I use the fine-tooth one more than I do the wide one during my wash.

206.jpg

SeamlessFineToothComb-vi.jpg

IMG00153201010100122-vi.jpg

Now that I think about it, I did use the wide-tooth seamless comb to comb my hair back like when planning to do a puff. It works kinda like a brush would with its short teeth. The pick then helps me pick out my 'fro.

I have 3. A shower comb that I use for detangling. A extra wide youth comb and a rat tail comb that use for doing cornrows and styles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Lots. I collect them. They always go missing in my house anyway. I usually check the beauty accessories section at tj maxx and buy the good looking/quality tools. The last comb I bought there has tourmaline specks embedded in it. It's some sort of heat resistant plastic. But it has me thinking it would be nice if I could get one made of nicer material, say ceramic w/tourmaline.

I have several however use 1 wide tooth for detangling.. i barely do styles that require actual parts that look decent so I don't bother with the rat tail

I said 3.

1)I have the Magic Star Jumbo Rake comb I bought online. I bought it for detangling over the summer.

2)A wooden comb I bought from the Body Shop. The teeth are hair suicide size so I don't use it.

3)My fingers. I solely use these now over everything. I am all about simplicity.

I have 2. A wide toothed detangling comb and a rat tail comb for parting, rollersets and smoothing relaxer.

i have about 4 combs, but i only use 1. My shower comb for detangling in shower under running water on wash days.

i'm serious about this only comb on wash days thing. :yep:

I have more than 4.

I use my Magic Star rake comb for pretty much everything but I have a lot more. Once I order a few more Magic Star combs I will get rid of the others. They are just in a drawer taking up space.

> 4 but in rotation now..

5 seamless combs ranging from rattail to wide. I use the brown comb Nonie posted to detangle oiled hair pre washing- the rest are used when needed: detangling/rollersetting

Ouidad double detangling comb

2 well 3 if you count finger detangling.

I have my 3-in-1 detangling comb that is a wide tooth, medium, and wide tooth pick all on one comb. I wish I could find a true seamless comb like this...

I also have my rat tail comb for parting, flat ironing, and to really really smooth out my hair.

Voted 4 or more.

6 Rat tail combs for parting and flat ironing

6 Large Tooth Combs for detangling

4 different types of combs in different sizes.

I always misplace my combs. So, I have multiples in different colors laying around the apartment. :lol:

Shower Comb: I use this to style and when I'm rinsing conditioner out of my hair.
Rat Tail: For parting and rollersetting.

See now I am thinking about just using the magic star for detangling and styling and using the rat tail for parting only. Can't wait to see how I react to using only those two come next wash day...

Last edited:
I have three seamless combs:

1) The magic star comb I use to detangle
2) A medium size comb to style
3) A rattail comb to part my hair.

I have several. :look:

Three wide tooth combs, including one shower comb, one large, all-purpose comb and one with SUPER long teeth for scratching my scalp and lifting roots for bigger fluffier hair! :yep::lick:

The last comb looks similar to this.

f5f9_1.JPG

I LOVE that comb!

Then I have two or three rattail combs. I had more, but a few of them bit the dust when I went natural, snapping off both teeth and the rattail itself as it failed to get through the thickness that is my hair. :ohwell: Poor combs. They never stood a chance. :nono:

Then I have a couple of feather combs left over from my permie days; as well as several small tooth combs; including two large, flexible, plastic combs and one made of hard plastic. Of course there are teeth missing from that one. :look: :lol:

Last edited:
I have three. A shower comb for combing through my leave-in after shampooing; a seamless fine tooth rat tail for gently combing my dry hairline when there is new growth; and a seamless wide tooth rat tail for styling my dry hair.

I have three. A wide tooth comb. A bone comb that has medium teeth. And a bone comb that has really small teeth.

The wide tooth is what I use the most, I detangle with it before using the Denman. and if I'm wearing my hair straight its what I use to comb. The medium one rarely gets used. The bone comb is to chase when I flatiron.

Lately, I have not been straightening and I don't comb my hair except on wash day. So really, I use my fingers more than anything.

Back