How long is too long for twisties with the comb?

sistawithsumthin

I have been twisting my daughter's hair with a twist comb for about a year now in between she has been wearing an afro. After a year her hair while it is stilled coiled, is getting to be about four inches long.

She wants to continue to where them but I don't want to damage her hair in the long run. Using my fingers doesn't work that well and I don't like how it looks using the end of a rattail comb, or whatever it's called.

1. What I want to know is, is the twist comb damaging to the hair over time?

2. Is there one better than the one's at the BSS?

3. What is the longest anyone has gotten there's to grow without it looking a hot mess as my daughter calls it?

I think four inches (and longer) is a great length for comb twists or coils. Have you tried separating each coil after they're dry for a straw set effect, or do you just leave them as is? My hair is currently about 9 inches long and I've been thinking about doing some coils in my hair. I don't see why comb coiling would be damaging to the hair, as long as you're not pulling too tightly and you use some sort of lubricant and/or soft, non-alcoholic holding product. I'm not sure what kind of twist comb they sell at the BSS, but the ones I have are made with teeth on both sides, which I find pretty effective.

For whatever reason she doesn't want me to separate them she likes them just the way they are. Probably because she doesn't have to do much to them everyday.

I have never seen a comb with teeth on both sides I will have to look for it. It will probably save me some time. The longer they get the longer it takes although it is easier since I do kind of have a better knack to it.

BTW I love your hair! Reminds me of my girl Sunnygirl's hair.

Thanks for the comments.

Back