How do u apply your relaxer?

trulyurangel82

I started self relaxing in Sept after learning some self relaxing techniques on here.

So far my technique is getting better each time but there are still areas I underprocess.

I use my fingers but I dont think im getting enough relaxer on the newgrowth by doing that.

How do you apply your relaxer and what do u use to apply it?

Its hard to straighten my newgrowth sometimes. You know how some peoples newgrowth is just wavy well mine is very kinky lol.

*edit*

after 4 weeks it doesnt even look like i self relaxed. I use ors-olive oil for fine -normal texture.

Last edited:

ItsyBitsy

I part my hair in 4's, starting in the middle ( the area with the most new growth) I apply the relaxer using a application brush. Be careful using your hands, this can cause you to get relaxer where you don't want it ( previously relaxed hair) Doing it with your fingers only gives you 1 clean had to work with :perplexed

nycutiepie

I use the "forbidden" technique of applying it with the teeth of a rat tail comb. This works for me because I like my hair straight and I don't have any problems with underprocessing or even breakage.

trulyurangel82

do you think a toothbrush would work just as good as the application brushes?

DIONNE31 said:
I part my hair in 4's, starting in the middle ( the area with the most new growth) I apply the relaxer using a application brush. Be careful using your hands, this can cause you to get relaxer where you don't want it ( previously relaxed hair) Doing it with your fingers only gives you 1 clean had to work with :perplexed

ItsyBitsy

Im not sure about the toothbrush. The application brush is long & flat so it's easier to control and it helps the relaxer smooth on easier.

AKA-Tude

trulyurangel82 said:

I just tried the toothbrush the other day-

HATED IT!!!

More perm stayed in the toothbrush than went on my NG.

I wound up using the tongue depressor thingy you mix the perm with, which actually worked out really well! Direct application to NG.

Then I smoothed with my fingers.

Got my NG layin' down, Chile!!

trulyurangel82

thanks
chile :lol:

AKA-Tude said:
I just tried the toothbrush the other day-

HATED IT!!!

More perm stayed in the toothbrush than went on my NG.

I wound up using the tongue depressor thingy you mix the perm with, which actually worked out really well! Direct application to NG.

Then I smoothed with my fingers.

Got my NG layin' down, Chile!!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I part in 4 sec., base w/good old Vaseline really good, apply conditioner to my already relaxed ends, and begin in the back crown area first working my way around clock wise. I also save my edges (all around) for last. I use a tint brush or back of a rattail comb (it helps to press the relaxer in good). You also have to take small sections applying to the top and bottom of that section (this is important too) and smoothing it in really good.

Sometimes you do have to apply more relaxer to an area, you should know because as you are pressing it down on the unrelaxed area it will start to look like it's just coated, but I like to smother mine in relaxer so I'm sure it will take. Plus I stretch 16 wks or more and I don't have time for a let down :lol: .

trulyurangel82

thanks

yeah i try to do small sections but my newgrowth gets so kinky in the back middle part its so hard to part it through.

the top part is so easy. :lol:

i wish i could stretch 16 weeks. Before i self relaxed i could go 8-10 weeks. Now my newgrowth gets really kinky the 4th week that I feel like relaxing in 5-6 weeks.

yeah i should use a brush because with my fingers some areas dont look coated well.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I part in 4 sec., base w/good old Vaseline really good, apply conditioner to my already relaxed ends, and begin in the back crown area first working my way around clock wise. I also save my edges (all around) for last. I use a tint brush or back of a rattail comb (it helps to press the relaxer in good). You also have to take small sections applying to the top and bottom of that section (this is important too) and smoothing it in really good.

Sometimes you do have to apply more relaxer to an area, you should know because as you are pressing it down on the unrelaxed area it will start to look like it's just coated, but I like to smother mine in relaxer so I'm sure it will take. Plus I stretch 16 wks or more and I don't have time for a let down :lol: .

trulyurangel82

thank you:)

when you say you" Divide each section into 3 subsection to get the best application," are you parting your hair into having one front section and one back section. So there are 3 subsections in the front and 3 in the back?

sareca said:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...relaxer+review That's my relaxer procedure except I added a final ACV rinse and I used fiberguard post-relaxer (pre-neutralizing) instead of aphogee.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Great thread! I will be trying to relax in sections and use a large tooth comb to comb thru the sections. I'm too scared to use the rat tail.:lol:

balisi

trulyurangel82 said:
Unless you're referring to using the toothbrush handle, you do NOT want to use the head of a toothbrush to apply relaxer. The first reason that comes to mind is that it would make the application process take WAY too long.

Some important things to know and keep in mind when applying relaxer:
Never start in the same area each time
Apply to hairline last
Apply to most resistant area first whenever possible.