How did u break ur salon dependence?

Bliss806

I still go to the salon every week. But I can't do my hair myself. Everytime I try it comes out a total MESS!! I just let them wash, DC and set it and that is it. I dont use any heat besides the sit under dryer. Is that a bad thing??

shermeezy

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
I still go to the salon every week. But I can't do my hair myself. Everytime I try it comes out a total MESS!! I just let them wash, DC and set it and that is it. I dont use any heat besides the sit under dryer. Is that a bad thing??

I go to the salon weekly as well. I just let the stylist rollerset my hair. I've tried to do my own rollerset and it alway's looks horrible. I wish I could do my own hair. It would save me a ton of money.

Energist

When I moved out to Oklahoma. There are no Dominican salons there, so it was either I learn their technique and products before I leave and manage on my own, or risk going to an unknown salon with an unknown hairstylist there who can potentially ruin my hair.

I am in NY at the moment, so I am spoiling myself again, but it is only temporary;)

Dee Raven

I was never really ever able to form a salon dependence because I'm really tender-headed and every time I would go for a touch-up they would yank the comb and blowdryer through my hair and I would HATE them. And 'hate' is the word. I used to want to apologize to the stylists in advance for any mean looks I would give them. So needless to say, since I've been natural, I haven't given the salon a second thought. It's not even really in my vocabulary anymore.

cclark1

I actually just started going regularly after I started transitioning about 4 months ago. I go to Balisi and she really takes care of my hair. I was so afraid of breakage that I alwsys feel more comfortable having a "real" professional work on my hair every few weeks.

Kurlee

I actually just started going regularly after I started transitioning about 4 months ago. I go to Balisi and she really takes care of my hair. I was so afraid of breakage that I alwsys feel more comfortable having a "real" professional work on my hair every few weeks.
see i wish i was in atl so i could go to balisi. I would definitely gove her a try:yep:

SeatownSista

I couldn't really afford it and then I went natural. In the beginning of my transition I used to go in for trims only but noticed I wasn't really making much progress in length because of the "trims". I haven't been to a stylist in almost four years now because I'm scared I'll have a bad experience. Plus I prefer to do my own hair and I'd rather use the money I would spend going to a stylist on hair products. :drunk:

Coffy

I bought things my stylist has: Hood Dryer, Flat Iron, and Rollers.

I go to the salon every other week...but if I cant make it at least I have the tools at home to keep my hair healthy and wonderful.

Aggie

Well first of all, I don't think that I have said no for good, however, I must admit since finding LHCF, I've been going less and less as time goes by. In fact, my last visit was on September 6th, 2007. I was accustomed to going at least every 2 - 4 weeks.

There is something that I noticed though. Since I started doing my own hair, it has thickened quite a bit. Also, my stylist only DC-ed for 15 - 20 minutes. I also noticed that she shampooed too much and too vigorously. I don't handle my own hair that way.

My hair didn't like all the heat they were using and it was certainly starved of adequate moisture. Now that I know how to take proper care of my hairl, I will have to let her know exactly what I like and what I don't like done to my hair. Luckily, she is kind enough to grant me my wishes to keep my business. Sometimes, I want to be taken care of and pampered so I'd go to the salon during those times.

Another reason I started doing my own hair was because I became a product junkie in a matter of hours and I didn't want my products to go bad on me. I gat so much stuff and I really get excited when I'm about to try one of my new products on my hair. Even when I haven't used a product in a while and I remember how good it felt, a renewed excitement for those products swells up inside me all over again. YUM YUM!!!

Last edited: