How did u break ur salon dependence?

Kurlee

What made u say to hell with salons for good?

For me, I went for a press and he singed some hair by nape. The hair was APL and had to be cut up to like 3 inches.:perplexed It grew back quickly, but i will never forget that experience. Recently after a few years of being anti-stylist, I trusted a salon to give me a trim. Came out with stupid layers after working so hard to have even blunt apl hair. She straightened my hair nicely, but used no heat protectant. I've realized most stylist want to make ur hair look "good" at the expense of damage and then CUT CUT CUT:wallbash:

Anyhoo, stories please........:grin:

ETA: Also, I noticed they like to comb natural hair dry, which is a definite :nono: for me

tinkat

I never had a absolutely horrible experience that made me stop, but after I found this forum, I realized that I could take care of my own hair.

Kurlee

I never had a absolutely horrible experience that made me stop, but after I found this forum, I realized that I could take care of my own hair.
Yea, me too although i experienced some bad things. Also, I usually can't tell people things i learn here, especially stylist cuz i get this look:nono:

tinkat

Yea, especially when I was transtioning, I definitely knew not to go up in a salon. I don't think I will ever go back to one honestly unless the person is really good.

MizAvalon

Same here. I just became more and more disillusioned with my stylist over time and decided to stop going to her. I saw her for many years and as she just started getting more and more lax and her work was becoming mediocre at best. I figured that I could do mediocre work myself, for FREE.

So, 7 months ago I quit on my stylist that I had been going to for about 6 years. Best decision I ever made.

Last edited:

SimpleKomplexity

I was tired of them tellin me I damage my hair and then they wouldn't tell me how I could fix it. They only told me that I should come to the shop every week for them to do it since I was damaging my hair. THAT'S $30 a WEEK! THEN one time I got a relaxer and it didn't take, so they put another relaxer and since my pores were open it burned like ....FIYAH! ...Then I asked for a trim and got 2 inches cut. I wanted and needed a DC treatment but they (didn't have time), they always used heat on my hair without a protectant! .... By the way they were going I was going to be bald! If I'm going to be bald I might as well save the money and do it myself! But I have likes some of my stylists...I just wanted to be INDEPENDENT

LOL i just stopped going. I don't have the money or the time. I hated going in for an appt at 3pm and getting out of there at like 9pm. I started reading up on tutorials, I perfected my rollersetting, and then I was finished with salons for good!

bluediamond0829

for me it was a couple of bad experiences, being overcharged on services and rude attitudes. Now i just either use a wig and im transitioning so i dont want anyone telling me i need a relaxer dont want to hear it. ( i thru away my large jar of Design Essentials and Silk Elements--darn i shouldve sold the Silk Elements because i knew that was still good but oh well)--

or the only reason why i go to a salon is to get my full head sewn to help me along my transition....

It~Can~Grow

I like when other people help make tough decisions easier for me to make.

It was 6 months ago...(it wasn't on me, but I knew that was the 'standard operating practice', so it was only a matter of time before it happened to me). I went for my normal 7am appt , and as usual did not get attention until 9am, anyway as I was waiting I watched another lady receive a perm and realized
1) her hair was shedding, shedding like crazy and
2) she was getting a retouch, yet her entire head was being covered in perm.

This sealed the deal for me. I was receiving a wash and french twist and she always used waaaay to much BROWN gel and tons of spritz. Talk about drying, and if that doesn't dry you out, let me take out the hair dryer to set your hair on crisp and curling iron to fry your hair to a golden black.

I'm not a piece of chicken so what's up with all the frying and refrying of the hair.

Anyway, before I was completely fried, the original customer was receiving the same style, and while her hair was being rolled TONS and TONS of hair was shedding out on the comb.

I'm not joking when I say I was actually afraid the women would notice and go crazy on the stylist, who carefully removed the hair into the towel before the customer could notice. How this client did not leave bald is beyond me!!

Yes, this appt was the deciding factor for me. From there I said I've gotta learn to really care for my hair, because it's not happening here.

In her defense, 98% of her customers were only concerned with the style of their hair, and not really concerned with what it took to get it to look the way it did.

Last edited:

AsTheCurlzTurns

Be honest with you, I never had a "REAL" salon experience where they already have licenses to do hair. My first time was actually going to a beauty school years ago to get the Halle Berry look, and the student who did my hair at that time was one of the most recommended in my circle of friends, since they got it done too by her as well. Well you know the back of the style is really low cut and and it's lined up in the back to make it look nice. Now the style was really cute and beautifully done, but when she started lining the edges of the back, she nicked me, not once, not twice, but 3 darn times in the back of my head, while talking on the darn school phone!! Once on the right side near the bottom of the ear, and twice near the nape area. I was peeeeved!!!!!!!!! I never went back there at all, now I knew the students were learning and all that, but dayumm, this gurl was just about to take her test for her final cosmetology exam to get her license. After some TLC from me, I made out okay, and felt better. After that I never went to a salon again for my own hair to be done, since I started doing my own hair, except when I go with friends when they're getting their hair done a certain way that I don't do. Which is how I learned a few tricks and tips to do certain do's.

SmartyPants

By the way they were going I was going to be bald! If I'm going to be bald I might as well save the money and do it myself!

This, for me, is it in a nutshell--except, my hair actually DID fall out. But, since joining LHCF, my hair is thriving in ways it never did when I was going to a salon. My hair has never grown in this fast or this healthy.

tdwillis

For me, it was paying all that money every two weeks when I knew I had the same products at home. It wasn't worth it and I have saved the money ever since.

AsTheCurlzTurns

I like when other people help make tough decisions easier for me to make.

It was 6 months ago...(it wasn't on me, but I knew that was the 'standard operating practice', so it was only a matter of time before it happened to me). I went for my normal 7am appt , and as usual did not get attention until 9am, anyway as I was waiting I watched another lady receive a perm and realized
1) her hair was shedding, shedding like crazy and
2) she was getting a retouch, yet her entire head was being covered in perm.

This sealed the deal for me. I was receiving a wash and french twist and she always used waaaay to much BROWN gel and tons of spritz. Talk about drying, and if that doesn't dry you out, let me take out the hair dryer to set your hair on crisp and curling iron to fry your hair to a golden black.

I'm not a piece of chicken so what's up with all the frying and refrying of the hair.

Anyway, before I was completely fried, the original customer was receiving the same style, and while her hair was being rolled TONS and TONS of hair was shedding out on the comb.

I'm not joking when I say I was actually afraid the women would notice and go crazy on the stylist, who carefully removed the hair into the towel before the customer could notice. How this client did not leave bald is beyond me!!

Yes, this appt was the deciding factor for me. From there I said I've gotta learn to really care for my hair, because it's not happening here.

In her defense, 98% of her customers were only concerned with the style of their hair, and not really concerned with what it took to get it to look the way it did.

The first bolded: Good context, but had me laughing the way you worded it!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

The second bolded: This doesn't surprise me one bit, since a friend of mine's went to beauty school and she was told to always keep a black towel around to remove shedded or breaking hair from their styling tools so the customers couldn't see it. She felt it defeated the purpose of good hair care and in the same week also was told to never give the customer a mirror to watch them doing their hair when it comes to trims and such, so that they don't get a bad reputation should they not like the service. Well this was enough for my friend to drop out of beauty school and she's since pretty much haven't gone back.

SmartyPants

The first bolded: Good context, but had me laughing the way you worded it!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

The second bolded: This doesn't surprise me one bit, since a friend of mine's went to beauty school and she was told to always keep a black towel around to remove shedded or breaking hair from their styling tools so the customers couldn't see it. She felt it defeated the purpose of good hair care and in the same week also was told to never give the customer a mirror to watch them doing their hair when it comes to trims and such, so that they don't get a bad reputation should they not like the service. Well this was enough for my friend to drop out of beauty school and she's since pretty much haven't gone back.

Wow.... this is amazing. One of the only two decent stylists I have ever had told me that if the stylist won't turn me toward the mirror so I can see what they are doing to my hair... get the hell on up out of there!:sad:

KinksnCurlz

It was easy for me since I'm an impatient person. I hate waiting for anything and no matter how early I went to the salon, someone was always before me. If I went in the afternoon, 3 people were ahead of me. If I went late in the evening, at least 2 people were ahead of me. ARRGGHHH!! It was like I couldn't win. Once I received my xmas gift (3 or 4 yrs ago), a Pibbs 514, I knew it was on and popping from there. :D

Who needs a stylist? Not I... :D

Last edited:

prospurr4

I realized that there was nothing they did to my hair that I couldn't do myself, at home. In fact, I've only been to a salon ONCE in my life, MANY years ago.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I've never liked the salon experience. When I was younger I was very intimidated and tenderheaded so I would let the stylist have her way. As I got older the time and money thrown away at the salon simply wasnt worth it to me anymore, especially when my hair was being trimmed before it could get anywhere. I started to educate myself with sites like this one and I've been doing my hair ever since. Once I learned how to successfully flat iron my hair-it looks better than it did when I went to the salon! Plus I'm not afraid od my hair like I used to be.

envybeauty

at one point, i fell on hard times where i simply could not afford to go to them as often because i needed that loot to pay other unexpected bills. so i decided for a happy medium: i would wash my hair myself but use the best products for my hair even if i had to spend $20 on the conditioner.

practice makes perfect and i got better at doing my hair and it looked better more often because i didn't have to wait until the weekends to see a stylist: i was the stylist.

now, i love doing my hair myself and being able to do it when i want to and how i want to.

JerriBlank

I've never liked the salon experience. When I was younger I was very intimidated and tenderheaded so I would let the stylist have her way. As I got older the time and money thrown away at the salon simply wasnt worth it to me anymore, especially when my hair was being trimmed before it could get anywhere. I started to educate myself with sites like this one and I've been doing my hair ever since. Once I learned how to successfully flat iron my hair-it looks better than it did when I went to the salon! Plus I'm not afraid od my hair like I used to be.

Very well sai!!I like that a lot!!!

I decided to hold off on salons for a minute when i told her that i wanted to grow my hair out,and she was still taking clippers to the back of my head.
Don't get me wrong,she never abused my hair,i just knew that i wanted to grow it out,and i didn't see her helping with that anytime soon.

charmtreese

I tried to ditch the salon's, but I suck at self relaxing.:nono: So, now I only visit the salon for touch-ups (2-3 times a year).

krissynick

When i use to go to the salon often i always had to schedule cause the place i go is always packed and not that my hair didnt thrive well there...actually it did and i only went there twice a week but.... i realized that what if one day i really want a cute style and i cant make it to themmm what will i do and after that i decided that i have to learn for myself just in case i dont have time to make it the hair salon. Also who will take care of your hair better than yourself... after researching and getting info on hair care i was good to go...
I did make alot of mistakes in the beginning had some hair loss her and there but thats what happens when you are learning..... but now im good ... i still go there when im lazy and i dont feel like doing my hair but thats rare.

LunadeMiel

When i use to go to the salon often i always had to schedule cause the place i go is always packed and not that my hair didnt thrive well there...actually it did and i only went there twice a week but.... i realized that what if one day i really want a cute style and i cant make it to themmm what will i do and after that i decided that i have to learn for myself just in case i dont have time to make it the hair salon. Also who will take care of your hair better than yourself... after researching and getting info on hair care i was good to go...
I did make alot of mistakes in the beginning had some hair loss her and there but thats what happens when you are learning..... but now im good ... i still go there when im lazy and i dont feel like doing my hair but thats rare.

:shocked: at the bolded. Umm...how cheap was this salon??

AsTheCurlzTurns

Wow.... this is amazing. One of the only two decent stylists I have ever had told me that if the stylist won't turn me toward the mirror so I can see what they are doing to my hair... get the hell on up out of there!:sad:

And I applaud your stylist for telling you that, cuz it's the god's honest truth, there's NO telling what they will do, and if they make a mistake, they won't show it, but try their damndest to cover up their mistake, and will show you the mirror AFTER they're done! Now I seen here on the boards where some were given a mirror to watch as they go, but guess what? Once that mirror gets into the customer's hands, some stylists gets all so darn nervous, that sometimes they will actually make a mistake cuz they don't like the feeling of being watched! Hmmph!!

krissynick

mzhotniz86

on top of a trim that turned into a chop session , it was getting to be too expensive. and on top of that , i had to be at the salon at 5 in the morning on a flipping saturday , cause they were so busy. i invested in my own flat iron and know where i can purchase all of my salon quality products . i will only be going to a stylist for touch ups

Mook's hair

3 things.

1. They overcharge

2. My husband kept telling me that there was nothing they did to my hair that I couldn't do BETTER, at home. He told me that it always looks nicer when I do it myself. (He was right...I'm pretty good)

2. The 2nd to last relaxer I got (after a 6 month stretch) The stylist under processed (not resulting in a texlax...resulting in something bad) and he did not pull the relaxer far enough down the strand to cover all the new growth.

I was tooo Through!

glamazon386

Being a broke college student. :look: When my mama was paying I was in the salon every week. And if I had it like that and my hair was still relaxed I would still be going every week.

blazingthru

I have always been a do it yourself girl, but every now and then I wanted to get a new do or a cuter cut and I believed in the trims I just could never figure out why my hair was never growing. Anyway. There wasn't a specific reason for me to stop going. I just wanted to go Natural and there aren't many natural salons around and I figure i would learn all I could and do it for myself and so far so good. I planned on going to a Dominican salon in April for a blow out but I might put it off a little longer, Its almost a year since the last time I went. I just don't have a need for someone else to do my hair, especially if I can do it myself and there is no pain or discomfort involved at all.

Lovelylocs

I didn't they broke it for me! :lachen: I was sick of letting them be too rough or mess up certain services and then blame it on me. :confused: