Hot Oil Treatments and Clarifying

Nouvelle

Is it absolutely necessary to clarify hair when using coconut or grapeseed oil as a deep conditioner? With both oils being light, would just using water and fingers to gently remove build up on the scalp be sufficient instead of shampooing or not?

TIA!

Last edited:
i dont think you need to clarify if thats all you use, however i would use a conditioner that contained a surfactant to cowash every once in a while b/c i'm not too sure just water and fingers would cut it...you need something to bind to oils and dirt, along with the friction from water and fingers to really clean your scalp...

i dont think you need to clarify if thats all you use, however i would use a conditioner that contained a surfactant to cowash every once in a while b/c i'm not too sure just water and fingers would cut it...you need something to bind to oils and dirt, along with the friction from water and fingers to really clean your scalp...

Thank you!!

Cosign - your regular cowash conditioner shd be able to take out the greasiness of the oil without stripping all the yummyness out of your hair.

I agree, regular vegetable oils and butters "wear off" of your hair over time and they don't coat or buildup on your hair or scalp with regular washing or CW.

Usually clarifying the hair happens BEFORE you deep condition. I always deep condition with conditioner used with oils and honey. The deep condition takes a lot better in my hair when it is squeaky clean. I don't see any reason why one would need to clean the hair after doing a deep treatment with oils. Coconut Oil is the one of the few oils that can actually penetrate the hair shaft for conditioning. I wouldn't want to try and clarify that. Water and fingers can not remove ALL build up on the scalp, such as build up from cones. Cones requires ingredients such as SLS or Coco Betaine depending on their water solubility.

Usually clarifying the hair happens BEFORE you deep condition. I always deep condition with conditioner used with oils and honey. The deep condition takes a lot better in my hair when it is squeaky clean. I don't see any reason why one would need to clean the hair after doing a deep treatment with oils. Coconut Oil is the one of the few oils that can actually penetrate the hair shaft for conditioning. I wouldn't want to try and clarify that. Water and fingers can not remove ALL build up on the scalp, such as build up from cones. Cones requires ingredients such as SLS or Coco Betaine depending on their water solubility.

Thanks again!!

Back