Holy Tornadoes, Batman! My hair is torn up!

metalkitty

Okay ladies, I really need your help this time! Let me explain/ give some background first... I am six months post, I usually relax with Affirm No-Lye, but thought it was thinning my hair out so I used Affirm Lye last time which made me shed more than I liked so I was like:swearing: at this point! So basically I got relaxed last September I think and was planning on getting a touchup in February but that never happened, my mom doesn't want me using relaxers anymore which pisses me off because I'm 20 , it's my hair, and I'd pay for it... Anyway, I'm just frustrated since I can't keep my line of demarcation happy like I used to be able to... So my hair's breaking and shedding like crazy. Its weird though, lots of small pieces with bulbs though. Never happened until I used Affirm Lye.

Basically, I wash once or twice a week, moisturize twice daily, wear two buns, protein once a week. Products I use include Elasta QP scalp Stimulating (Once a week to clarify), Breakthru 'poo( moisturize, detangle after the EQP SS), Deep condition with ORS Pak mixed with honey and Porosity Control or Got2B So Smooth Emergency Repair Creme, recently started using surge 1-2x daily to detangle, S-curl on newgrowth to detangle and moisturize (used to work wonders), BBD Stretch on hair after washing and before leave in to strengthen, Cantu Breakcure as a leave in and moisturizer( one of the few that work well)....

You know, now that I typed all this I think I just think I need to think of good ways to detangle and moisturize my newgrowth! I have a tangle tamer comb and a shower comb which are pretty good, I think I just need some good products/ tips for managing my newgrowth until I can get into braids. Anyway, how does my regimen sound? Should I add some CO washes, seemed like it used to help a couple years ago. If I relax again, should I go for a Lye or No Lye? Lastly, sorry for the length of this, it's just been driving me crazeh! :lol:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
If there are bulbs on the end, thats shedding not breaking. The BBD stretch should help witht he breaking, but clarify ever so often as it does leave build up. Shedding may be seasonal or hormonal.

Not detangling properly while I was transitioning was part of the reason I ended my transition early. Try biolage detangling solution and a k-kutter comb. Those were my life savers.

HTH :)

sareca

The bulbs are technically called trichorrhexis nodosa. It is a preventable disruption of the hair's cortex. Basically the outer cortex exploded revealing the non-colored keratin. They can occur at pretty much anywhere along the hair shaft (including the end) and cannot be repaired. Once you have them there's little else to do but cut them off. Most experts believe it results from rough handling and excessive heat on chemically treated (relaxed, permed) hair. I had them when my hair was natural, so I don't agree with the chemically treated part. I rarely have them now (relaxed), but I do have more split ends than I used too. Anyway, here's my source http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_74.htm. It also discuss the knots AA's occasionally see on their strands.

I had them on my natural hair and I relaxed anyway (I didn't know any better then). But now they are all gone. I had to cut them off individually (dusting) or with a couple of trims. The products that made the most difference for me were KeraPhix and Humecto. Oh, and make sure you clarify first. That was my other problem, the calcium in the water here was building up on my hair making it impossible for the conditioner to work.

Last edited:

metalkitty

sareca said:
The bulbs are technically called trichorrhexis nodosa. It is a preventable disruption of the hair's cortex. Basically the outer cortex exploded revealing the non-colored keratin. They can occur at pretty much anywhere along the hair shaft (including the end) and cannot be repaired. Once you have them there's little else to do but cut them off. Most experts believe it results from rough handling and excessive heat on chemically treated (relaxed, permed) hair. I had them when my hair was natural, so I don't agree with the chemically treated part. I rarely have them now (relaxed), but I do have more split ends than I used too. Anyway, here's my source http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_74.htm. It also discuss the knots AA's occasionally see on their strands.

I had them on my natural hair and I relaxed anyway (I didn't know any better then). But now they are all gone. I had to cut them off individually (dusting) or with a couple of trims. The products that made the most difference for me were KeraPhix and Humecto. Oh, and make sure you clarify first. That was my other problem, the calcium in the water here was building up on my hair making it impossible for the conditioner to work.

:eek: Geez thats scary, I wonder if thats what I have? How do you know if you have it? Yeah, I clarify regularly but i think the main thing I'm doing wrong is not detangling properly perhaps... Also my strands don't stretch when dry and only stretch a little when wet. Not sure what that means.

crlsweetie912

I think that you are missing elasticity and that comes from moisture. That should be done on wet and/or dry hair. You need to probably use Motions Moisture plus conditioner instead of the silk and then use the Motions CPR monthly. I love this stuff and I use it more cause my hair likes it. HTH.