Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2014 Challenge!

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Wondering if I should get a relaxer & a fresh trim before my sew-in or just get the sew-in done on 12 weeks post relaxer. Id like to keep the sew-in in for at least 16 weeks. That'll make me around 8 months post relaxer when I remove the weave. Lol

Dee Raven

So I've been easy breezy with my hair all 2013 until a couple weeks ago when I noticed a bunch of little 2 - 3 inch hairs in my brush and hand when detangling and styling. They seemed to be coming from the crown area. And it happened several times. So yesterday was wash day and as I prepooed I got a couple more little hairs and much to my relief, I did strand checks on them and they both had bulbs so I know they are natural shed hairs. But I did decide that I needed to up my winter regimen routine, so when I prepooed, I put more conditioner all over the hair, the targeted the ends and crown with a really heavy coat of hair mayonnaise. Then I left it in for about 4 or 5 hours. I had been getting kind of lazy about that and leaving it in for only 20 to 30 mins before. It really seemed to help so I'm going to keep that up at least until March.

Here are my official 2014 starting photos. I took them last night. The bottom layer is at hip and I'm planning to maintain that until the top layer, which is between MBL and WSL (WSL is the purple line), catches up. Once it hits WHIP then I'll think about growing out the bottom a little more. I'm hoping by June. My overall goal is to hit full HL by December.

Attachments

• Jan 2014 update (1).jpg
    Jan 2014 update (1).jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Jan 2014 update (2).jpg
    Jan 2014 update (2).jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 251

BostonMaria

So I've been easy breezy with my hair all 2013 until a couple weeks ago when I noticed a bunch of little 2 - 3 inch hairs in my brush and hand when detangling and styling. They seemed to be coming from the crown area. And it happened several times. So yesterday was wash day and as I prepooed I got a couple more little hairs and much to my relief, I did strand checks on them and they both had bulbs so I know they are natural shed hairs. But I did decide that I needed to up my winter regimen routine, so when I prepooed, I put more conditioner all over the hair, the targeted the ends and crown with a really heavy coat of hair mayonnaise. Then I left it in for about 4 or 5 hours. I had been getting kind of lazy about that and leaving it in for only 20 to 30 mins before. It really seemed to help so I'm going to keep that up at least until March. Here are my official 2014 starting photos. I took them last night. The bottom layer is at hip and I'm planning to maintain that until the top layer, which is between MBL and WSL (WSL is the purple line), catches up. Once it hits WHIP then I'll think about growing out the bottom a little more. I'm hoping by June. My overall goal is to hit full HL by December.

First of all, your hair is gorgeous!!!
You're already full hip length or maybe my eyes are deceiving me. Do you ever straighten your hair? Because if you do you'll probably have an extra inch or two of hair.

Ms Lala

Just coming in here to lurk and drool. I have given up on my HL goals. My WL is hair is quite a bit to manage because of the density of it. I just can't imagine more hair. How do you all manage all of that hair without it being just too time consuming. I'm actually thinking of cutting it to MBL.

Dee Raven

First of all, your hair is gorgeous!!!
You're already full hip length or maybe my eyes are deceiving me. Do you ever straighten your hair? Because if you do you'll probably have an extra inch or two of hair.

Thanks, BostonMaria! Maybe I'm using the wrong term when I say full HL. What I want is for all my hair to be HL. Is that "blunt" HL? IDK.

Dee Raven

Just coming in here to lurk and drool. I have given up on my HL goals. My WL is hair is quite a bit to manage because of the density of it. I just can't imagine more hair. How do you all manage all of that hair without it being just too time consuming. I'm actually thinking of cutting it to MBL.

What's too time-consuming? How many hours are you ladies spending on hair? Now you have me curious Ms. Lala. I'm super hair lazy.

My weekly breakdown is
Prepoo application= 15 mins
Detangling = 20 mins
Styling = 30 - 40 mins (braidout)
Optional restyle midweek = 20 mins

So that's an hour 15 if I'm really lazy, an hour and 35 if I'm not. Anyone spending less time? I'd like to know too.

pre_medicalrulz

What's too time-consuming? How many hours are you ladies spending on hair? Now you have me curious Ms. Lala. I'm super hair lazy.

My weekly breakdown is
Prepoo application= 15 mins
Detangling = 20 mins
Styling = 30 - 40 mins (braidout)
Optional restyle midweek = 20 mins

So that's an hour 15 if I'm really lazy, an hour and 35 if I'm not. Anyone spending less time? I'd like to know too.

Depending on how many weeks post relaxer, I spend an hour detangling before a wash. An hour & a half deep conditioning; sometimes 2. Then airdrying takes about another 2 hours. In which case I still haven't detangled post wash. That'll take another 30 mins at least.

ManeStreet

I have fine strands but high density. I think increased thickness make it more time consuming than increased length. My hair at WL takes the same amount of time that it took at APL.

It takes me about an hour & a half.

Wash 15 mins
Detangle 15 mins
Deep condition 30 mins
Style 30 mins

My hair air dries overnight.

halfindian

Depending on how many weeks post relaxer, I spend an hour detangling before a wash. An hour & a half deep conditioning; sometimes 2. Then airdrying takes about another 2 hours. In which case I still haven't detangled post wash. That'll take another 30 mins at least.

I feel bad. I don't spend that long on my hair. Maybe I'm not handling it like lace.

pre_medicalrulz

Im not going to make HL by ends year. Im doing damage control. 4 inches of split ends. I will be cutting an inch every 3 months. So I will only have retained 2 inches this year. But its ok. I will start retaining again in 2015 but on fresh end.

Unless I have some type of growth spurt in the Summer.

Last edited:

bebezazueta

Im not going to make HL by ends year. Im doing damage control. 4 inches of split ends. I will be cutting an inch every 3 months. So I will only have retained 2 inches this year. But its ok. I will start retaining again in 2015 but on fresh end. Unless I have some type of growth spurt in the Summer.

Oh no! I'm sure you know what's best for your hair. There's nothing like a fresh start with fresh ends. Don't leave us though.

Aireen

Will be 3 months post in 2 weeks! I haven't waited this long to relax my hair in a while, hopefully I can hold out. I'm always 1-3 weeks shy of 3 months due to impatience.

Dee Raven

Well, I straightened yesterday and here's how it looks. I'm really unhappy with my straightening results. The hair is pretty puffy and I don't feel like wearing it out. So I'll be wearing breads and buns the whole time. Does anyone have any suggestions. I don't want to go back to the salon because that's how I got the heat damage in the first place. Thanks. Also, I am definitely excited to be maintaining the bottom length because the ends feel really rough. I'm not sure if that's because the ends are actually rough or because of the way I straightened. :sad:

Attachments

• January 2014 straightened.jpg
    January 2014 straightened.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_3447.jpg
    IMG_3447.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 233

ckisland

I haven't peeked in this thread is so long!!! OMG all of the beautiful long hair :love:!!!! Thank you ladies for continuing to share your regimens and what works and what doesn't!!!!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Well, I straightened yesterday and here's how it looks. I'm really unhappy with my straightening results. The hair is pretty puffy and I don't feel like wearing it out. So I'll be wearing breads and buns the whole time. Does anyone have any suggestions. I don't want to go back to the salon because that's how I got the heat damage in the first place. Thanks. Also, I am definitely excited to be maintaining the bottom length because the ends feel really rough. I'm not sure if that's because the ends are actually rough or because of the way I straightened. :sad:

Sorry you aren't happy Dee Raven, but :thud:

*regains consciousness*

What technique did you use to flat iron? Did you try wrapping it yet?

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Dee Raven

Sorry you aren't happy Dee Raven, but :thud:

*regains consciousness*

What technique did you use to flat iron? Did you try wrapping it yet?

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

I flat ironed from curlformers then silk wrapped (without the silk). I haven't wrapped it overnight. I guess I'll try that.

faithVA

Dee Raven, I can't even begin to see anything wrong with your flat ironing job. I wish you could just give it to me since you don't like it :lol:

Aireen

Dee Raven, your hair is eye candy! :grin: I'm relaxed so PLEASE double check this advice but I know when I look at videos people use the following methods for straighter results:

1. Deep conditioning overnight with a moisture-rich shampoo (either pre-poo or after shampoo or both)
2. Comb-chasing small sections

Both of those I see give amazing results.

halfindian

Dee Raven, your hair is eye candy! :grin: I'm relaxed so PLEASE double check this advice but I know when I look at videos people use the following methods for straighter results:

1. Deep conditioning overnight with a moisture-rich shampoo (either pre-poo or after shampoo or both)
2. Comb-chasing small sections

Both of those I see give amazing results.

I can vouch for comb chasing. Definitely gives straighter results.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I've been thinking of giving this method a try. When I flatiron I use really high heat, otherwise my hair never gets straight. Your results look great Dee Raven

Yes, your results look great to me too. I don't mind that texture throughout. I 2nd the comb chase method. Try using a press creme like Keracare or Nairobi Creme Press next time.

curlycrocheter

Dee Raven I used to flat iron on the highest setting of my maxiglide, so that's around 440 degrees.

I've been trying to tone it down. So I'm closer to 395 now. I don't have a lot of reversion issues (outside of sweating) but I try to put as little product in my hair as possible when I flat iron