Henna: My Experience (long)

Princess4real said:
:eek: I just love, love, love the results you received from using henna. I wish it came in a jar and all you have to do is put it on your head. It seems like it's very time consuming.

Thank you Princess4real! A jar would be very handy! Who knows, maybe someday it will happen. Hey, maybe you can invent it! But since these are plants, they must be kept cool or frozen (henna) and they cannot be all mixed up ahead of time.

Actually, the 3 hours or so (for the 1st application) of the henna sitting on my head didn't take up time, I did other things in the meantime.
The other part of it, the mixing is not time consuming at all and the application was a little for me since it was the first time, to make sure all of the hair was covered.

The cleaning up was the most time consuming for me, especially my bathtub and sink.

Isis said:
Thank you Princess4real! A jar would be very handy! Who knows, maybe someday it will happen. Hey, maybe you can invent it! But since these are plants, they must be kept cool or frozen (henna) and they cannot be all mixed up ahead of time.

See that's the cool part...it CAN be mixed ahead of time! :grin:

You just mix up a batch, and then put it into baggies and pop them into the freezer (try and squeeze out all the air). Then when you want to henna, just take the baggie out, and let it thaw in warm water...that only takes about 15 minutes.

Unfortunately, that won't work with the indigo...but it's a great henna timesaver.

Softresses said:
It looks beautiful Isis! I just did a touch up and henna yesterday! I feel your excitement. Isn't the added strength amazing?
Thank you Softresses! Yes, the added strength is great, it's the ultimate protein treatment and even better since I could do it again so soon, without having hard hair.

seraphinelle said:
When I bought my conditioners, the Henna as staring back at me saying 'Buy me, Buy me'

But I didn't!

Now I wish I did.
I almost did this a few months back but I'm so glad I didn't. I learned it's best to research it first and that's how I learned that all henna is not equal. Most of the commercial hennas out there are compound henna (with multiple ingredients), not good for my relaxed hair.

Isis, what can I say that everyone else hasnt already said?:look: Your hair turned out BEAUTIFULLY! Wow!!:)

Divine Inspiration said:
Isis, it's soooooo pretty!! You have officially convinced me to give it a try.

Thank you for sharing your results with us. :)
Thank you Divine Inspiration and you're welcome! :) The great part is that BAQ henna is so good for one's hair, especially relaxed hair and it's all natural. That and the added strength and color was a plus for me.:)

mochamadness said:
Oh Isis you hair looks fab!! I can't believe the last pic is the result of an airdried bun, it looks so sleek and smooth. Thanks for sharing your experience and your recipe. I'm gonna really have to give henna a try sometime this year.

Thank you Mochamadness! :) No, that last one is not from an airdried bun, it's from an airdried rollerset, that's why it's so smooth. I didn't take a pic of airdrying in my bun, since I usually don't airdry that way. However, the results were almost just as smooth and sleek when I took it down... I really must explore airdrying in a bun more deeply. :scratchch

Puddles said:
[SIZE=+1]Isis........it is very pretty. I'm glad to hear it turned out so well.

I'm going to henna mine this evening.
[/SIZE]

Thank you Puddles! I wish you great success this evening on your henna treatment!! :)

WomanlyCharm said:
See that's the cool part...it CAN be mixed ahead of time! :grin:

You just mix up a batch, and then put it into baggies and pop them into the freezer (try and squeeze out all the air). Then when you want to henna, just take the baggie out, and let it thaw in warm water...that only takes about 15 minutes.

Unfortunately, that won't work with the indigo...but it's a great henna timesaver.
Thanks for clarifying this WomanlyCharm. :) I am aware the henna itself can be mixed and frozen but not henna mixed with something else like amla or indigo (as you mentioned). Yes, I do love knowing the henna can be frozen.

WomanlyCharm said:
Love the shine, your hair looks beautiful Isis!

I'm sitting here with henna on my head right now. :p
Thank you WomanlyCharm! You are a henna pro and I really enjoyed your previous posts on henna. Is yours a regular treatment tonight or a change in color?

Isis said:
Thank you WomanlyCharm! You are a henna pro and I really enjoyed your previous posts on henna. Is yours a regular treatment tonight or a change in color?

I wouldn't call myself a pro...I leave that to VWVixxen and Sareca, they showed me the ropes. :D

Tonight is a much needed regular treatment. I just got a relaxer and my hair was feeling too thin and shedding. Now that I've rinsed the henna out, voila! not one hair has come out of my head! This is like the best uber-protein treatment ever! :grin:

Oh yeah, and I'm doing my regular henna/indigo thing...I love being jet black.

cocoberry10 said:
Wow Isis, your hair almost looks "flatironed" in the 2nd pic. I think I will also have to jump on the henna bandwagon. Can henna be bought in the stores? Thanks.

Also, where can I get amla oil?
I don't know about buying BAQ henna in stores Cocoberry10, perhaps in Indian stores. Maybe someone else knows. Amla oil and powder definitely be bought in Indian stores.

My hair in the 2nd pic was airdried in a rollerset so yes, it does look almost flatironed (roots are thick though).:)

WomanlyCharm said:
I wouldn't call myself a pro...I leave that to VWVixxen and Sareca, they showed me the ropes. :D

Tonight is a much needed regular treatment. I just got a relaxer and my hair was feeling too thin and shedding. Now that I've rinsed the henna out, voila! not one hair has come out of my head! This is like the best uber-protein treatment ever! :grin:

Oh yeah, and I'm doing my regular henna/indigo thing...I love being jet black.
This sure is the best "uber-protein treatment" ever!! I'll be getting a relaxer in the near future so it's good to know I can do a henna treatment so soon afterwards, if I choose to. :)

Thank you so much Jessy55, Msshic, Brownsugababe, Nycutiepie, Nappywomyn, E$h, Shunta, DSylla, Ayeshia for you comments and compliments! :kiss: I love this board!

Isis, you hennaed! Awesome results, your hair is always off the hook. I am in West Africa and have been for last 2 months (since Thanksgiving) and will be here probably until March -- having a wonderful time here in the motherland even though have to do without basic necessities, like LHCF! Really, living pretty simply these days 'cause its hot and sometimes no electricity, but amazing how rich and full my days are without 24-7 internet and TV. Anywho, my hair care has become so simple because not time nor products nor equipement to do much and my hair is growing so strong, its amazing. KISS really is the way to go.

1. I haven't put a relaxer in my hair since October 2006

2. I wash once a week using either henna or indigo or cholesteral condish (Queen Helene .99 cent jar) -- I alternate, henna one week, indigo the next and cholesteral and then rotate again (I brought tons of both henna and indigo and duh, I can find it all over the place -- Liberia, Ghana, Nigeria for dirt cheap so its like totally available but haven't had need to use the local stuff 'cuase I brought so much with me!). I simply apply henna or indigo paste or cholesteral on dry hair, wrap in plastic, cover with towel and leave on at least one hour, rinse thoroughly and put my leave in (nexxus headdress) and let hang and air dry. Once 80% dry, I put in one big grey magnetic roller and tie down. That is it. Its so hot, I haven't used any oils whatsoever and I can wear it loose 'cuase somehow those roots/new growth under control even in all this heat and humidity (I attribute that to the henna, indigo). Amazingly, this routine has my hair growing totally out of control. I mostly wear it in on big single braid which I redo every couple or three days and when I want a special look, I take braid looose, come hair out very carefully and let hang loose -- I can't get over it! My hubby and family can't get over it, especially since weather is so hot and humid and no AC most of the time and sometimes, depending where we are, no running water, but my hair is off the freaking hook. Only time I use poo is when I swim, I then poo after with nexxus threrape, condish with humectress and headdress leave in.

Anywho, thanks yall for reading my long travel hair post. Internet is really working for me today and I'm taking full advantage 'cause don't know when I'll have luxury to check in with LHCF -- usually, just trying to pay bills and move on.

Happy New Year Ladies and thanks for keeping the site up to date. This has been a real treat. I'll try to check in again soon, in the meanwhile, peace to yall . . .

Neroli

EMJazzy said:
The desire to try henna is getting stronger and stronger :sekret:

You ain't never lied. :lol: By the end of '07 I wouldn't be surprised if I hadn't at least purchased the materials :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isis, your hair looks great! And I love the textured look of your tresses-- just beautiful!

Yay! It's good to hear from you Neroli!

Thank you, and thanks for sharing your hair experience and regimen in West Africa! Very, very interesting and educational. :yep:

And no relaxer since October? That's pretty awesome too! :up: Your hair sounds like it's growing very long and strong and gorgeous in all that heat and humidity, plus your Nexxus products, henna and indigo! Congratulations Neroli!

I've never used that cholesterol...maybe I'll try it one of these days. :scratchch

Neroli said:
Isis, you hennaed! Awesome results, your hair is always off the hook. I am in West Africa and have been for last 2 months (since Thanksgiving) and will be here probably until March -- having a wonderful time here in the motherland even though have to do without basic necessities, like LHCF! Really, living pretty simply these days 'cause its hot and sometimes no electricity, but amazing how rich and full my days are without 24-7 internet and TV. Anywho, my hair care has become so simple because not time nor products nor equipement to do much and my hair is growing so strong, its amazing. KISS really is the way to go.

1. I haven't put a relaxer in my hair since October 2006

2. I wash once a week using either henna or indigo or cholesteral condish (Queen Helene .99 cent jar) -- I alternate, henna one week, indigo the next and cholesteral and then rotate again (I brought tons of both henna and indigo and duh, I can find it all over the place -- Liberia, Ghana, Nigeria for dirt cheap so its like totally available but haven't had need to use the local stuff 'cuase I brought so much with me!). I simply apply henna or indigo paste or cholesteral on dry hair, wrap in plastic, cover with towel and leave on at least one hour, rinse thoroughly and put my leave in (nexxus headdress) and let hang and air dry. Once 80% dry, I put in one big grey magnetic roller and tie down. That is it. Its so hot, I haven't used any oils whatsoever and I can wear it loose 'cuase somehow those roots/new growth under control even in all this heat and humidity (I attribute that to the henna, indigo). Amazingly, this routine has my hair growing totally out of control. I mostly wear it in on big single braid which I redo every couple or three days and when I want a special look, I take braid looose, come hair out very carefully and let hang loose -- I can't get over it! My hubby and family can't get over it, especially since weather is so hot and humid and no AC most of the time and sometimes, depending where we are, no running water, but my hair is off the freaking hook. Only time I use poo is when I swim, I then poo after with nexxus threrape, condish with humectress and headdress leave in.

Anywho, thanks yall for reading my long travel hair post. Internet is really working for me today and I'm taking full advantage 'cause don't know when I'll have luxury to check in with LHCF -- usually, just trying to pay bills and move on.

Happy New Year Ladies and thanks for keeping the site up to date. This has been a real treat. I'll try to check in again soon, in the meanwhile, peace to yall . . .

Neroli

Where do you buy henna :confused: I just brought some from quality spices.com I hope it's the right kind :( And do I need to buy something else with it or can I use a conditioner to mix with it.

JOI said:
Where do you buy henna :confused: I just brought some from quality spices.com I hope it's the right kind :( And do I need to buy something else with it or can I use a conditioner to mix with it.
I've learned that the best kind of henna to use, especially for relaxed hair or color-treated hair is body art quality henna found at www.hennasooq.com or www.hennaforhair.com

Buy something else with it depends on your intention. What color are you going for? Henna always adds red and if your hair is dark brown, you'll have auburn. Catherine has a new free book on how to henna your hair at http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/

Isis said:
I've learned that the best kind of henna to use, especially for relaxed hair or color-treated hair is body art quality henna found at www.hennasooq.com or www.hennaforhair.com

Buy something else with it depends on your intention. What color are you going for? Henna always adds red and if your hair is dark brown, you'll have auburn. Catherine has a new free book on how to henna your hair at http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/

Thanks Isis Im going to check this out, Actually I was going for a black or a Dark brown, Dark brown is the same color as my hair so I want to enhance my natural color or go darker.

Isis said:
Whew! What a weekend! On January 26th, I did two henna/amla/indigo treatments back-to-back (with a day in between), then after another two days, I washed and deep conditioned again, without henna.. :spinning: My hair feels so thick and strong--far superior than Keraphix plus my gray strands (yes, I had some) are brown.

First and foremost, many, many thanks to you wonderful LHCF ladies who hennnaed your hair and shared your experiences and tips, especially Neroli (where you at?!), VWVixxen, Godzooki (you both really inspired me!) and so many others who have done this successfully--relaxed and natural. Besides the great henna threads here, I read the main henna thread and learned from all of your posts. :notworthy :notworthy

I'm so glad you did this too Babygurl! Your hair results are awesome!

I also thank some of the ladies at LHC who shared their henna successes with me as well as in their main henna thread.

BTW, I attempted to post pics in my album, but the Fotki tech people are working on my settings at this time. They say it won't be too long though.

I love my own hair color which is dark brown with natural auburn highlights, especially noticeable in the summer. However, grays were starting to appear, :rolleyes: and although I love those grays too, I decided to henna but keep my browns.

My Henna Treatment
Since body art quality is supposed to be the safest and best for relaxed hair, I chose to use Catherine's body art quality henna (found at www.hennaforhair.com), amla and indigo recipe for cool shade of brown. I took notes along the way (with my stained, gloved hand :lol:)

I used:

225 g of henna (prepared the day before with water only--no lemon juice)
200 g of indigo
50 g of amla

1. I added the 50 g of amla a little at a time while stirring it into the very thick, henna pudding I made the night before. I added just a little more water to keep the consistency while adding the amla.

2. Then I mixed the indigo in a separate bowl and added 2 cups of water a little at a time until it looked exactly like very dark green mashed potatoes.

3. I immediately added this "mashed potatoed" indigo to the henna/amla pudding a little at a time and stirred well, adding a little more water when necessary. Now I had a large bowl of creamy, thick, dark-green/brown mud.

4. With my gloves on, I put a portion of this mixture into a plastic ziplock, then cut a corner off so I can squeeze it into my hair. However, I soon realized I preferred scooping up globs of henna mixture and just applying it to my hair and scalp. I laid it on very, very thick, starting at my nape and working my way up to the front. I already parted my hair horizontally ahead of time and pinned up each section with hair clips, as I do when relaxing in sections.

5. It was like putting green/brown clay on my head, creamy but clay-like. I remember loving playing in the mud once as a child!! Soon my head felt heavier and heavier. When I was finished (and I had just enough), I wrapped the saran wrap around my green helmut head, put a plastic cap over that and then a shower cap.

6. What a heavy head I had! The smell isn't really all that bad (smells like some of my food :lol:) but the mess! :shocked: I thought I had pretty good control of the mess (had all my paper towels, old clean towels, hair cape, etc.) but I was wrong! I set the timer for 4 hours.

7. I rarely get headaches but after about 3 hours, I got a headache from the weight. I waited exactly another 30 minutes, then I got into the shower to rinse after slapping on tons of Vaseline on my face, neck, breasts and body. I have a very nice directional shower head with different water forces so I decided to rinse this way rather than in my laundry sink (as I had planned).

8. I rinsed wearing gloves and after about 15 minutes, I took my gloves off to feel my hair. It felt gritty but soft. I decided to use my new Nexxus Phyto Organics Theratin Extreme Moisture shampoo and let it sit on my head about 5 minutes. It felt a lot better and cleaned out much of the graininess. My headache was gone too!

9. After more rinsing, I finally checked my color. My hair was the same except with deep, reddish highlights were my grays were. When the sunlight hits my hair I notice auburn effects, like my natural hair color. Very, very pretty but I want less red where the grays were..

10. I slathered on lots of Nexxus Phyto Organics Humectin Extreme Moisture conditioner, deep conditioned and finished my regimen.
I airdried my hair in a bun, no specific styling or anything. I loved my hair!! Incredible shine, color and thickness--just like everyone experienced.

After a day, I decided to use 1/3 Henna and 2/3 Indigo (per Catherine's recipe) to see if I can darken those reddish strands. They did get darker but I wanted it browner. I didn't want black though, just my dark brown color with my natural auburn highlights. I didn't have very much more amla.

Henna Treatment II
For this 2nd treatment, I used:

1/2 cup henna (this time after adding water, I let it sit in a bowl by a heater for two hours for color release, sealed with plastic)
1 cup indigo
1 Tablespoon amla
3/4 cup honey

1. Before making the main batch, I first mixed up a small batch with this ratio mixing the amla into the already color released henna first, mixing the indigo with water for mashed potato consistency, then adding the indigo to the henna/amla mix.

2. I then applied it to a test area where I have a few strands of grey together (now a few strands of dark red). I let it sit under a plastic cap for 3 hours. When I checked it, it was just what I wanted! Yay! Where my reddish "greys" used to be was now brown--and not black. I had to look closely since I couldn't tell a few feet from the mirror. I held up a lock of my hair close to the light and I could see dark auburn highlights on the dark brown, as my natural hair is. It looks like I kept my natural hair color! I'm so happy!

3. Since I didn't make up as much as I did for my very first batch, I did the rest of my hair after mixing in some honey to stretch it and to condition my hair. I stirred up the mixture while pouring in about a 3/4 of a cup of honey. I did a honey/henna/indigo/amla gloss! It was nice and creamy when I applied it and it seemed to stretch enough for my whole head, although not as thickly as the first time. No heavy head helmet, thank goodness! And not as bad of a mess this time.;)

4. It was easier to rinse out too after 3 1/2 hours under a cap. I love my hair color, thickness (and it was already thick) and strength. I know I don't need to do the heavy clay head again and may do henna glossing every four weeks or so, probably with honey. What a learning experience this was!! I'll post my henna experience in my album under "About Me" for now, since that part of my fotki works. :)

Thank you again ladies, I may not have ever done this without you sharing your experiences!!

0129072ndHennaIndigoafterrinsing.jpg

Wet hair after rinsing 2nd Henna/Indigo/Amla

013107shineafterairdrying.jpg

Airdried after 2nd Henna/Indigo/Amla treatment

Isis, happy that you took the plunge. Body Art Quality Henna is great! I have never indigoed my hair because I am interested in the auburny color, but my hair is still dark, with auburny highlights. I love the color, and I love my hair. I'm glad you had a wonderful experience with henna.

Isis said:
The amla is good for cooling the red or the black tones. It creates a cool shade when added to henna or henna/indigo versus a warm shade. What you want should match your skin tone (do you look best in warm colors or cool colors?).

The henna/indigo combo creates various shades of brown, depending on the ratio used. Catherine sent you a chart of those ratios or recipes for color results as well as info about amla. My hair is now dark brown (with auburn highlights) but not quite off black. Henna used with anything will add that auburn or red somewhere. Amla cools the shade down.

Since you don't want black or blue-black, I suggest doing it first with 1/2 henna and 1/2 indigo and see how you like that. You may get the intense brown you want. There will be auburn highlights in the sun or other strong light. It's best to start light, then do it again with just a little more indigo and (maybe some amla) to darken it.

I did mine again mainly to cover the grays darker, as mentioned in Catherine's book and her charts.

Thanks for getting back to me Isis!
I did my henna first and then did the Indigo immediately after. I decided to just go with the color Black from the Indigo. I look better with Black hair anyway.

My work turned out great; I used Fia's Gel Mix for my application. Worked like a charm! I am loving it! I was shocked to see how well it turned out! :eek: :grin:

My Amla will be arriving this week so I will use it with my next application to see the results! I will probably do it next week.

I AM SO LOVING THIS HENNA THING!

january noir said:
Thanks for getting back to me Isis!
I did my henna first and then did the Indigo immediately after. I decided to just go with the color Black from the Indigo. I look better with Black hair anyway.

My work turned out great; I used Fia's Gel Mix for my application. Worked like a charm! I am loving it! I was shocked to see how well it turned out! :eek: :grin:

My Amla will be arriving this week so I will use it with my next application to see the results! I will probably do it next week.

I AM SO LOVING THIS HENNA THING!
I'm so happy for you January noir! I'm going to try the gel mix next time, as soon as I buy some pectin. I'll be using amla again also--I want to see exactly how it adds more curls and texture. :sekret:

JOI said:
Thanks Isis Im going to check this out, Actually I was going for a black or a Dark brown, Dark brown is the same color as my hair so I want to enhance my natural color or go darker.
You're welcome Joi! You'll probably want to do 1/3 henna and 2/3 indigo per Catherine's recipe instructions for dark brown and see how you like it. More indigo than that (or less henna than this 1/3 portion) will result in off black, blue black if you do just henna first by itself, then just indigo by itself.

fancypants007 said:
Isis, happy that you took the plunge. Body Art Quality Henna is great! I have never indigoed my hair because I am interested in the auburny color, but my hair is still dark, with auburny highlights. I love the color, and I love my hair. I'm glad you had a wonderful experience with henna.
Thank you Fancypants007! I feel I'll continue to have great experiences with henna and learn a lot more in the process. :)

Dark hair with auburny highlights is very beautiful! :yep: I did think about doing just the henna like you did, but my goal was to also cover some gray strands and they color differently.

Back