Help with Cornrows

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Please don’t laugh me out of the forum, but…

Does any one have any / know of any tutorials or can offers suggestions on how to cornrow hair? I’ve tried on my own but this skill just eludes me. :( My mother and my two sisters tried to teach me, but I just don’t have the knack, and they've lost all patience. I’d really appreciate any help, ladies.

Thanks in advance!!!! :)

(okay, you can laugh. :lachen: Honestly, I think I'm the only woman in my entire family that does not have this skill! :look: )

TropicalRose

do you know how to french braid? if so, you know that for a french braid, you pick up the hair with the pieces on the edge of the braid. however for cornrows, you pick the hair up from the piece in the center rather than from the peices on the side. took me a while before it clicked

thats the only way i can explain it. pick up the hair as you go and add it to the center piece

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
TropicalRose, I can't even French braid (yeah, it's that bad :eek: ) I can't but laugh at myself.:lachen: However, I will keep your advice in mind when I make some more attemps. I've watched the process and looked at some pictures, but I think I'm missing something crucial with technique.

Thanks! :)

cutiebe2

BraidsByBreslin.com
this site is really good. The DVD with just cornrows is about $20 and I think its worth it. I brought the big DVD which teaches you how to do everything and it was VERY professional. Its not the "I made this home video" type thing. I looked over the cornrows part and I was very impressed.

RosesBlack

Legend said:
TropicalRose, I can't even French braid (yeah, it's that bad :eek: ) I can't but laugh at myself.:lachen: However, I will keep your advice in mind when I make some more attemps. I've watched the process and looked at some pictures, but I think I'm missing something crucial with technique.

Thanks! :)

Don't feel bad. I am just learning too. I can French Braid sorta now and maybe eventually I'll be able to cornrow too. You're not the only one!

Shannon

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Thanks, Cutiebe2, for the info. I'm going to check that out.

RosesBlack and Mightycute912, thank you so much for posting. I was feeling a bit alone in my lack of cornrow skills, and no longer feel too badly. :) :lol: