HELP!!! Thinking of Texturizing My Naps!

loverofnaps71

Hello Ladies!!!

I am seriously thinking about texturizing my hair for a change. Do any of you mind sharing with me how you did it? Did you visit a salon or did you do it yourself?

I'm so scared that my hair will fall out for something bad will happen. I'd like the change, but I'm just not sure yet. It's a big decision. I've been natural for a little over 2 years. I'm still thinking about it...

Any advice that you ladies can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

LON

If you need a change, maybe you should get a new hairstyle or pay visit to Curves in New York and see what comes out. I'd hate for you to texturized and then regret it- then you'll call yourself "Hateroftexturizedhair"

Hey LON!

Maybe you can PM anikalia, blueflower, den1,faith, or some others for advice. Whatever you decide to do, we love ya baby (and I don't think you need to change your name, you still would love your naps, right?)

Good Luck Honey!

NGC said:
Hey LON!

Maybe you can PM anikalia, blueflower, den1,faith, or some others for advice. Whatever you decide to do, we love ya baby (and I don't think you need to change your name, you still would love your naps, right?)

Good Luck Honey!
ITA!!

If I were you i would definitely go to some place like CURVE that specializes in texturized hair. If you are brave, you can do it yourself but like NGC chick said PM modelchick, den1, anikalia, etc... and get some tips.

Take PICS!

LON, I can't offer any advice, just wanted to say that I hope that you find a style that you like.

foxybronx said:
ITA!!

If I were you i would definitely go to some place like CURVE that specializes in texturized hair. If you are brave, you can do it yourself but like NGC chick said PM modelchick, den1, anikalia, etc... and get some tips.

Take PICS!
ITA too.

What I would do is go to Curve first and watch them very carefully for their technique. They won't tell you what relaxer they use but some of us on here suspect that their technique is:

- apply Affirm Mild to hair very quickly, no smoothing, and then rinse out after 5 minutes.

(I believe they use the regular Affirm Mild because I use the Affirm Fiberguard Mild and it wouldn't be able to texturize as described above. Btw, I smooth the relaxer on a bit and the whole process, application + smoothing, takes me 13 minutes - I relax in halves too.)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chichi

Last edited:
Brownshugaz said:
exactly y do u want to texturize?
I am a little confused as to why LON isn't getting much support.

I don't need a reason why you want to texturize LON, do ya thing girl. If it makes you happy, it makes me happy! Texturized hair is beautiful to me..as well as natural and relaxed. As long as its healthy. ;)

It is a big decision and ultimately the only one who can convince you one way or the other is yourself. If I was going through this, I would try some new styles or go to a natural salon for a pamper day for my hair.

You never know, that might make a difference in how you feel. If not, then do what you feel is right for you :)

LON, if you're scared, I wouldn't do it just yet. I'd talk to some of the texturized ladies on here and glean from them how they did the process and how they handle their texturized hair.

One thing you could do is a strand test to see if you'll even like how your texturized hair looks.

And, maybe you can try on some wigs with the texturzied look to see how it looks on you.

In anycase, whatever you decide, I hope you'll be happy with your decision. :)

Thanks everyone! I love you ladies. Yes, I'm still thinking about it, but I wonder if I am agonizing over it, if I shouldn't do it at all. I'm going to Jersey this weekend to see my dad for Christmas. I could drive or take the train to Brooklyn and visit Curve. A strand test is a perfect idea! My biggest fear is would I like my hair texturized? I like my naps, but there's so many different textures on my head that I would only need a certain portion of my hair to be texturized so that my hair appears one texture and I can do more with it. Right now I have lopsided hair: the front is almost straight (about a 2 and grows like weeds); the right side of my hair is really curly and wavy (about 3c); the left side of my hair is curly kinky (about 4a); the crown is a combination of 2, 3, and 4 with various lengths; the nape is also combination 3c-4a with some strands being 4b. It's really weird.

Bottom line: I need to do more thinking about what I want. Perhaps I could change up the hairstyle and find something different. Either way, I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks again for your help. I love you! Have a God-filled holiday season!

LON, you know I love you and your hair either way. :kiss: I know what you speak of when you talk about shrinkage esp. with the various hairtypes you have and how you want a uniform look. What ever you decide to do, I'm sure your hair will look BEAUTIFUL! :)

loverofnaps71 said:
Thanks everyone! I love you ladies. Yes, I'm still thinking about it, but I wonder if I am agonizing over it, if I shouldn't do it at all. I'm going to Jersey this weekend to see my dad for Christmas. I could drive or take the train to Brooklyn and visit Curve. A strand test is a perfect idea! My biggest fear is would I like my hair texturized? I like my naps, but there's so many different textures on my head that I would only need a certain portion of my hair to be texturized so that my hair appears one texture and I can do more with it. Right now I have lopsided hair: the front is almost straight (about a 2 and grows like weeds); the right side of my hair is really curly and wavy (about 3c); the left side of my hair is curly kinky (about 4a); the crown is a combination of 2, 3, and 4 with various lengths; the nape is also combination 3c-4a with some strands being 4b. It's really weird.

Bottom line: I need to do more thinking about what I want. Perhaps I could change up the hairstyle and find something different. Either way, I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks again for your help. I love you! Have a God-filled holiday season!

I texturize myself and never go to the professionals. I just use the same thing that a relaxed with and put it on for half the time. I think a strand test is the best way to see exactly what to do w/o nasty suprises. Den1 uses ten strands taped together to do them.

Back