HELP! These braids are takin out my edges...

jtsupanova

Should I take them out? I got my hair done in medium/small sized braids with wet and wavy human hair about 2 weeks ago. It was very expensive I'd say about $200 dollars for the whole thing (hair included). I know the price dosen't matter but I mention the price because I'm a broke college student and I really don't want to waste my money. The braider did my braids really small and tight around the hairline and nape. Those braids were pulling out my hair horribly. I could see the bulb that you look for in shed hair through the actual braid. When I took the braids downs I lost atleast half of the hair that was in that section. So I took them down and did them over with bigger
parts and less tension. What I am worried is the weight from the extension hair on my own hair. Do you think it will do any further damage? Am I being too parinoid?
When I was getting my hair braided I told the braider she was doing them to small and too tight around the edges. She listened some what and lessened the tension but they were still really small... She acted as if I was overreacting and so did everyone else when I complained that the braids were pulling out my edges. I just don't want a thin hairline I have worked too hard.

Sorry about the vent maybe I am overreacting.
What methods do you ladies use to preseve your hairline in braids?
BTW I am following the Crown and Glory method TIA

Last edited:
I'm sorry for what you're having to go through. I don't think you're overreacting by any means. You were paying her and it was her job to listen to you and accommodate you when you told her you were experiencing discomfort and felt your hair was too tight! Seeing how you've experienced less than desirable results...I, IMHO, would take them out because to see the bulb of your hair isn't a good thing. You know your head better than anyone. I know some of the other ladies will be able to better help you.

I am currently in braids too. I do them myself, so I don't put them in too tight or small. It's good that you took the too tight ones down!
If the hair doesn't feel too heavy on the ones you rebraided than keep them in. Since your hairline was already traumatized by the pulling, maybe take extra care of that area to make sure your edges are o.k.

First things first. When you are getting braids, especially if you are weary about your hairline coming out. Take 1/2 inches around your perimeter and brush them down. Then tell them that after they start braiding, start 1/8 inch from your scalp.

Second, it is your hair and you know what is best. Remember the rest of the world doesn't have LHCF and BHM. Also, how do they know if you are speaking from experience and your hairline hasn't been damaged before by braiding too tight.

Thanks for the responce! I re braided a few more in the front. The braids that I have done over before don't seem to be pulling my hair out. I just don't want any added stress. I think I should braid my own hair from now on!

Last edited:
So sorry this happened to you. It has to lots of folks. You're not over reacting at all.

It's good you took the braids that were too tight down and made them larger (you got skills:yep:). If the braids that you "re-did" (if that's a word) are not too tight now or pulling at your scalp and there are no bumps, you should be ok.

First things first. When you are getting braids, especially if you are weary about your hairline coming out. Take 1/2 inches around your perimeter and brush them down. Then tell them that after they start braiding, start 1/8 inch from your scalp.

Second, it is your hair and you know what is best. Remember the rest of the world doesn't have LHCF and BHM. Also, how do they know if you are speaking from experience and your hairline hasn't been damaged before by braiding too tight.

Thanks for the tip and your right the rest of the world dosn't know about LHCF. My experience with most braiders has been that they don't realy care about the health of the hair but how good the braids look. Even if that does mean bald edges...

So sorry this happened to you. It has to lots of folks. You're not over reacting at all.

It's good you took the braids that were too tight down and made them larger (you got skills:yep:). If the braids that you "re-did" (if that's a word) are not too tight now or pulling at your scalp and there are no bumps, you should be ok.

Thanks! Those skills came out of no where because I have never done braids like this nevertheless on my own head. But I was determind to save my hair and my money. In a few months I will see if I can do my whole head. I'll keep my fingers crossed:look:

I'm glad you're going to start doing them yourself. :)

Search for posts by Nonie and you'll get a ton of good information. There are lots of good self-braiders here though.

Most braiders likely cater to what the average consumer wants: a head of nice-looking, long-lasting braids. They "hear" you but they're not listening, because, in the end, they figure you really want what everyone else wants.

D.I.Y.

p1

Thanks for the tip and your right the rest of the world dosn't know about LHCF. My experience with most braiders has been that they don't realy care about the health of the hair but how good the braids look. Even if that does mean bald edges...

No problem. Simple solution I use when at school is a little lotion or even oil to keep them from being unruly. They may get a little wavey but at least my hair line is not sacraficed plus like most people the hair around the perimeter is too slippery to grip. Did they begin to slide out when you got home?

^ No they didn't slide. I have a unique hairline (not in a good or bad way) it is really exact almost as if I get shape ups but I don't and I have a widows peak. I don't have "baby hairs" the hair around my hairline is just as long as the rest of my hair... or at least it was:ohwell:. It makes it all the more obvious when the hairline is thin. Like plugs of hair were just ripped out. Which is why I am putting my sulfer mix on my edges as I type.

This is the main reason i hate getting braids. I spend so much time explaining to them why exactly i don't want them extremely small or so tight...they look at me screwface like i'm the one with the problem. It's good that you took them out you saved your scalp and hair!

Back