Help Ssk's...

Daina

I am experiencing more shedding than usual because of SSK's and I am not sure what is causing them? My go to style is typically a braidout for 3 weeks of the month and bunning 1 week a month. Do I maybe need to stretch the hair more by lightly blow-drying? I'm afraid I'm going to lose length soon with the volume and amount of SSK's and hair shedding I've seen in the last 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Keep the last 4-5 inches of your hair lubed up, so your strands can't start lovin' on each other. Intimacy of strands = SSKs. Your M&S routine is SSK/tangle prevention (Birth Control). Also, I highly recommend keeping afro-textured hair stretched to prevent strand itimacy issues.

Have you dusted/trimmed in the past 3-4 months?

Keep the last 4-5 inches of your hair lubed up, so your strands can't start lovin' on each other. Intimacy of strands = SSKs. Your M&S routine is SSK/tangle prevention (Birth Control). Also, I highly recommend keeping afro-textured hair stretched to prevent strand itimacy issues.

@MileHighDiva, thanks maybe I'm not moisturizing as well as I thought? I'm definitely focus more on the last 2 - 3 inches of hair so I will go further up the strand as well with extra attention. I will either rollerset or lightly blow-dry and french-braid this week to see if I can reduce the SSK's and shedding.

@MileHighDiva, thanks maybe I'm not moisturizing as well as I thought? I'm definitely focus more on the last 2 - 3 inches of hair so I will go further up the strand as well with extra attention. I will either rollerset or lightly blow-dry and french-braid this week to see if I can reduce the SSK's and shedding.
Have you also done a protein treatment in the past few months. I hope you locTe the issue.

I did an Aphogee 2 step in March and have used the 2 minute reconstructor twice since then, actually just used that 2 weeks ago. Maybe my hair needs some protein weekly?

a good trim plus thoroughly detangling the hair after washing/conditioning.also using a tshirt to dry my hair before air drying has help me a lot. Matter of fact I have rarely gotten them since doing these three things. rarely meaning i can't remember the last time i've gotten one.

i oil my ends pretty good as well. i hope this helps.

a good trim plus thoroughly detangling the hair after washing/conditioning.also using a tshirt to dry my hair before air drying has help me a lot. Matter of fact I have rarely gotten them since doing these three things. rarely meaning i can't remember the last time i've gotten one.

i oil my ends pretty good as well. i hope this helps.

Can you describe your detangling process? Thx!

When's the last time you had a trim? I would start there since you're already stretching your hair. I agree with ajargon02 on the protein treatment.

When and how are you detangling?

Can you describe your detangling process? Thx!

Since I've been natural I have tried my best to just finger detangle but I discovered it doesn't work for me. mY hair is at it happiest when I make sure it's detangled completely…plus I've discovered that I can wash my hair loose without putting it in braids or twist and I still rarely get ssk. I don't really get tangles of any kind any more.

For at least two years I have been using the Magic star comb and over the last year I added the detangle brush to my regimen. After I wash/condition I put my hair into four parts then detangle each section with the comb first. Lastly I used the detangle brush to finished the job. Easy peasy!!!

Let me find the comb and brush pics.

Since I've been natural I have tried my best to just finger detangle but I discovered it doesn't work for me. mY hair is at it happiest when I make sure it's detangled completely…plus I've discovered that I can wash my hair loose without putting it in braids or twist and I still rarely get ssk. I don't really get tangles of any kind any more.

For at least two years I have been using the Magic star comb and over the last year I added the detangle brush to my regimen. After I wash/condition I put my hair into four parts then detangle each section with the comb first. Lastly I used the detangle brush to finished the job. Easy peasy!!!

Let me find the comb and brush pics.

Thank you!

I have fine hair but it's very dense and I know it's reccommended to finger detangle, but I'm finding my hair needs more than finger detangling. No matter how thorough I think I'm doing it or how long I take, it never seems detangled.

I used the Magic Star rake before, I will revisit and see how it works with me being very gentle.

That brush looks good too, I will research if any fine-haired naturals have luck with it.

Ladies thank you all for the wonderful replies and suggestions. To answer a few of your questions. I finger detangle with coconut oil prior to washing and then I use a wide tooth comb in the shower. I cleanse in sections usually 4 twists. I stretch every week in either a braidout or twists with a t-shirt towel if I'm lightly blow-drying.

I've noticed that I get the most tangles and SSK's with a few day old braidout. I typically do a bun after day 3 of a braidout. Retaining moisture is an issue for me right now and I think I need to moisturize daily instead of every other night.

Ladies thank you all for the wonderful replies and suggestions. To answer a few of your questions. I finger detangle with coconut oil prior to washing and then I use a wide tooth comb in the shower. I cleanse in sections usually 4 twists. I stretch every week in either a braidout or twists with a t-shirt towel if I'm lightly blow-drying.

I've noticed that I get the most tangles and SSK's with a few day old braidout. I typically do a bun after day 3 of a braidout. Retaining moisture is an issue for me right now and I think I need to moisturize daily instead of every other night.

When was the last time you did a hard protein treatment like aphogee 2 step?

P

Perhaps you may want to consider minimizing the number of days you wear a braid out. Maybe for your particular hair after 1 or 2 days the tangles start. Or, perhaps you might consider rebraiding your hair at night to continue wearing the braid out instead of leaving it loose in a "pineapple" at night. You didn't say you did this. I'm just inferring based on what a lot of us do with braid outs at night.

I personally can't wear a lot of braid outs or twist outs. My hair draws up to 1/5 th its length. I always get monster tangles and lose whole, entire curls after wearing a braid out.

It seems to me that the braid out to bun timeframe, how you are styling and wearing that style, is where the issues may be originating.

Have you been alternating light protein with moisture dc since? Did you do a trim when it was straight?

@arjargon02, yes to both. I've done the Aphogee 2-minute, ORS hair mayo and Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus since the Aphogee 2 step. Also had about a 1/2 inch trimmed.

P

Perhaps you may want to consider minimizing the number of days you wear a braid out. Maybe for your particular hair after 1 or 2 days the tangles start. Or, perhaps you might consider rebraiding your hair at night to continue wearing the braid out instead of leaving it loose in a "pineapple" at night. You didn't say you did this. I'm just inferring based on what a lot of us do with braid outs at night.

I personally can't wear a lot of braid outs or twist outs. My hair draws up to 1/5 th its length. I always get monster tangles and lose whole, entire curls after wearing a braid out.

It seems to me that the braid out to bun timeframe, how you are styling and wearing that style, is where the issues may be originating.

@Chicoro, I've done both just put on a bonnet or rebraided. Rebraiding definitely helps but I still get some ssk's. I'm going to cut back on how often I do a braidout to only once a month. My hair has also been very dry so I'm trying to work on that as well.

Back