Help me save my ends! (Relaxed)

swimfan09

Help! I have relaxed hair that is healthy, except for towards the ends. I am currently 1-2 inches away from APL.

I usually wear my hair pulled back in a loose ponytail/bun, which has helped it grow. I am working on developing a night routine of moisturizing my hair and so what I want to do is comb the hair gentlely and moisturize - As I try to comb, what I have found is about 2-3 inches away from my ends my hair tangles and knots! I don't have trouble with tangles at the roots - just near the ends.

What I am doing wrong? I even bought the Ouidad detangling comb to help and it does not help much.

MahoganyJazz

Try a detangling leave in conditioner, and comb in smaller sections. Be sure to be very careful. Also, have you thought about wrapping or pin curling your hair up at night?

taz007

You may want to dust/trim your ends. I also use Mizani Nighttime H20 on my ends and it has really helped with my retention as well as split and tangled ends.

imaccami

Do you detangle from the bottom up? If you start at the scalp and work your way down you'll have tangles when you get to the bottom.

bellebebe

use a really good detangler, oil rinse. if that doesn't help, then let the tangles dry and start detangling from tip to root just like you are unbraiding ur hair with a rat tail comb.

TemiLnd

When i was relaxed I never had knots on my ends. I would suggest bagging your ends at night with castor oil to keep them moist. HTH

xcuzememiss

Yeah. I'm having similar problem. My wraps are coming out whack! The ends are tangled. I know I am long overdue for a trim.

Tickin4Gold

I know what you mean with the tangles at the end, I created a thread some time ago asking advice on cutting my thinned out ends. The reason your ends are tangling is probably because it is uneven.
You will be surprised to see just how much easier it is to get the comb thru once those ends are cut evenly or even just a light trim/dusting. It helps trust me.
I cut 3" off my hair this january and I keep asking myself why I didn't do it sooner.

swimfan09

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I am sortof a newbie when it comes to really taking care of my hair. After a hand injury years ago, I discovered if I put my hair in a ponytail, it grew.

Try a detangling leave in conditioner, and comb in smaller sections. Be sure to be very careful. Also, have you thought about wrapping or pin curling your hair up at night?

Thank you Mahogany Jazz - I am trying to learn how to wrap! What I have been doing is watching some of the videos on YouTube - So far - my head looks like a bird's nest when I am done!:blush: Plus, I didn't want to continue to try and try and try and end up damaging my hair with repeated combing and brushing. I do have a decent paddle brush right now.

Mahogany Jazz, do you have a detangling leave in product recommendation?

I do try to detangle from the ends up but I have not had a trim since January. I had read some posts here that some people extend hair cuts as well as touch ups - but maybe I need to get a trim and then start with ends care from there.

Thanks, Taz007 for the Mizani suggestion!

Bellebabe, what is an oil rinse?