Help me control my shedding

hair4romheaven

I may have to try this coffee oil. My hair FELL out alot after using claudies elixir a few weeks back. I was going to make a thread but didn't want to as I am pissed about this. All is not most of my progress is gone. I posted the fallen hair in random thoughts. Lets see if I can link it here. My mista just pulled to chunks of hair from the shower drain and all I can do is sit there and almost cry. ;-(
I may just BC again. IDK what else to do! :nono:

Attachments

• fallenhairs.jpg
    fallenhairs.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

hair4romheaven

Pompous Blue where did you buy the christine gants green stuff from? & How long did it take to see a difference using the coffee oil. I am in such a bad place since seeing all of that hair come out after using the sulfur elixir.

Pompous Blue

I may have to try this coffee oil. My hair FELL out alot after using claudies elixir a few weeks back. I was going to make a thread but didn't want to as I am pissed about this. All is not most of my progress is gone. I posted the fallen hair in random thoughts. Lets see if I can link it here. My mista just pulled to chunks of hair from the shower drain and all I can do is sit there and almost cry. ;-(
I may just BC again. IDK what else to do!

hair4romheaven OMG! That pic reminds me of the amt of shedding I was experiencing on a daily basis -- lost a 1/3rd of my hair....(BIG HUG TO YOU!) I've read on this forum that some growth aids can cause excessive shedding. My hair loss, I believe, started within a week of my last touch-up. When all the shedding started, I called my stylist to see if she had changed the perm or used something different on my hair. She said no; but I didn't believe her. Therefore I made up my mind to go natural. Got tired of the drama and setbacks.
where did you buy the christine gants green stuff from? & How long did it take to see a difference using the coffee oil. I am in such a bad place since seeing all of that hair come out after using the sulfur elixir.

Christine Gant is on Etsy and has her own website:
http://www.brownbutterbeautyshop.com/product/mixed-greens-horsetail-nettle-parsley-hair-butter
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BrownButterBeauty

I bought 4 8oz. jars during her 2010 BF sale and I have 2 left. I added my homemade coffee oil to it and because her product is so soft anyway, it turned it into a serum/oil. I poured it into an application bottle which I use to apply to my scalp and massage for several minutes. I love this stuff because of the ingredients! And even though it says it encourages new growth, I haven't seen where it has speeded up my hair growth, but it does seem to work at preventing hair loss.

Here's what her website says:
Mixed Greens" is a nourishing hair pomade to encourage new hair growth and
prevent future hair loss. A potent tincture blend of Horsetail, Nettle and Parsley are the main herbal ingredients together with a potent hair loss prevention blend of Rosemary, Lavender, Cypress, Clary Sage and Juniper Essential Oils. All blended together in a nourishing blend of Almond Oil, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Jojoba Oil, Safflower Oil, and Wheat Germ Oil.
This product will turn to oil with body temperature. No heavy waxy feel. The consistency is light as it does not contain shea butter.
Directions: Massage a small amount on the scalp. Pay special attention to any thinning areas. Apply to hair as well to soften, moisturize and nourish dry hair. For best results massage small amount onto your scalp every night before bed

Coupled with the Alter Ego garlic condish and the coffee oil, I would say I saw a complete abatement of excessive shedding after about two uses. As with any treatments, I consistently use the products. I became very agressive and vigilant as I could be to do everything to stop and prevent future setbacks.

I didn't want my regimen to take over my life so that's why I make a couple quarts of coffee oil at a time, make gallons of tea and coffee at a time (I freeze this) and bought a steamer and a Pibbs dryer. Now I'm on automatic pilot with my hair care practices and it takes me no more than 2 hours to do my hair.

Hang in there, I was in a state of depression when it happened to me and I became an avid reader of old threads to learn from everyone's experience and suggestions. I started keeping a journal and writing down recipes and combinations I wanted to try. It took me about a year to find out what works and what I needed to do to prevent excessive shedding. Here are two threads on using coffee:

Coffee for Hair Growth
**COFFEE RINSERS AND SHEDDING***

Oh, I fogot to mention --- At one point I was mixing coffee and Earl Grey Black Tea and using it as a rinse. But when I started adding the coffee oil to Christine Gant's Mixed Green, I stopped doing the combo Tea+Coffee rinses and just only do the tea-rinse.

Sorry to be so chatty.....and hope I've helped some.

P.S. Do you use any ayurvedic powders? There is a thread a member started (with pictures) on how effective Bhringraj powder was in stopping her mother's hair loss and balding. I'll try to find it and post for you.

greenandchic

I may have to try this coffee oil. My hair FELL out alot after using claudies elixir a few weeks back. I was going to make a thread but didn't want to as I am pissed about this. All is not most of my progress is gone. I posted the fallen hair in random thoughts. Lets see if I can link it here. My mista just pulled to chunks of hair from the shower drain and all I can do is sit there and almost cry. :-(
I may just BC again. IDK what else to do! :nono:

Wow! I wonder why your hair fell out. Could it have been from the sulfur? I'm sorry you're going through this.

hair4romheaven

Thank you so much ladies. I needed that. I am unsure why this happened. I wwent to the doctor blood worrk is ok. HE said it has to be the oil. I used it years ago when I was relaxed and had no issues, but who knows what new stuff has been added since then. I will def. look into this coffee oil and stick with what I know will bring my hair back to life. I may do another BC. The thought of it makes me want to cry. Whats crazy is my hair is still grazing BSL so I know I lost my thickness. :-(

I need to you be chatty it helps me with my anxiety behind this issue. LOL if you thinnk of anything else ladies please update this thread.

gn1g

I have earl grey tea so I will do the tea rinse this weekend (saturday night) and report back on Monday about how that goes. I eat a ton of garlic normally, at least 1 1/2 heads a week on average so I don't know if a supplement will help me. Vampires will die if they bite me with my garlic consumption. I have eaten 1-2 cloves a day raw with a glass of water to chase when I was high in my flu. I am a garlic fiend.

I'll update on my blood test results sooner. I rescheduled my doc's appt for tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

Your skin must be radiant. How do you counter the breathe and body odor after eating the cloves?

princessdi

Girl I feel your pain! I've been shedding hair since early September and it's just now beginning to taper off. I started using the tea rinses about a three weeks ago and I must say, I'm wondering why in the hell I didn't do this sooner. When people say that tea rinses work, they really do work. I'm not saying that I'm not still shedding but I'm not shedding as much as I was. There is a big difference and it's a difference that now doesn't make me worry as much as I was.

I believe my issue is a hormonal thing (maybe early menopause); not confirmed yet. Anyhoo, try the black tea rinses and let us know how it works for you.

Unfortunately for me, I waited too long to try it and after relaxing today, I noticed that I didn't retain much growth from August until now and my hair is thinner than it used to be.:sad: Heavy shedding sucks!!

Oh well, next year my goal is to work on the health of my hair to include thickening and keeping the shedding at bay.

Good luck and keep us posted.

hair4romheaven

Thanks ladies. It was def. the claudie elixir. Since throwing it out my hair has completly stopped falling. I only used it for 2 weeks while my hair was braided under my wig. I stopped using it about 2 weeks ago and I just removed my 2 weeks old twist which I wore under wigs and I have a normal shed amount. Which is little to none. Just little knots of hair in the shower. SMH I collected it and it was smaller than a penny. WHY DID I PLAY MY SELF TRYING TO CHASE BSL BY YEAR END??? I am going to go hard on natural products (EO therpay) as well as vitamins and omega oils. I am also back on my protien shakes. I am going to hide my hair for the next 6mnths. SO look for my reveal in June! I will have my thickness back!!! I demand it!

hair4romheaven

IDareT'sHair I was going to send her an e-mail but figured what's the point? I won't chance using it again even it she sent it for free and I threw it away. So I just take it as a lost on a little change and lots of hair. Lesson learned. What's weird is I used it while relaxed with no problem but that was years ago before she shut down and reopened. IDK

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@hair4romheaven That's terrible. :nono:

Hadn't you also been using Boundless Tresses?

Or were you strictly using the Exlir or was the BT a while back?

Girl, that was alot of hair in 2 weeks.:sad:

I'm glad you are recovering.:yep:

blueberryd

1. Take an iron pill in the morning on an empty stomach w oj ( or anothr citrus drink like grapefruit juice)

2. Stop washing every other day...for me, ithink the more my cuticle opens and closes ( ie the more often i wash), the more breakage i get bc ithink my hair shaft actually gets weaker. Try only cowashing 1x a week, moisturize immediately w coconut oil, seal w jojoba.

3 make sure ur buns arent too tight and alternate the bun placement ( ie low bun, high bun, sidd bun, etc)...try hair sticks they are cute ways to jazz up ur bun and dont require any elastic /tension on ur hair

Hth :)

greenandchic

IDareT'sHair I was going to send her an e-mail but figured what's the point? I won't chance using it again even it she sent it for free and I threw it away. So I just take it as a lost on a little change and lots of hair. Lesson learned. What's weird is I used it while relaxed with no problem but that was years ago before she shut down and reopened. IDK

I thought part of the point of letting her know is so she knows she has a potentially dangerous product, or had a bad batch. I'd want to know if I was her.

Sent from my ADR6350 using ADR6350

hair4romheaven

@hair4romheaven That's terrible. :nono:

Hadn't you also been using Boundless Tresses?

Or were you strictly using the Exlir or was the BT a while back?

Girl, that was alot of hair in 2 weeks.:sad:

I'm glad you are recovering.:yep:

Thanks. I used BT for a long time a while back and WISH I can get the balm again. That stuff always worked well for my hair.
The elixir I just started using a few weeks ago. I was trying to stick to stuff I had used in the past and since BT is no longer and my sulpher mixes stunk I went back to Claudies. As I said I used it once before with no problem. I guess my hair just didn't agree with what was in it this time. Thanks again.

I thought part of the point of letting her know is so she knows she has a potentially dangerous product, or had a bad batch. I'd want to know if I was her.

Sent from my ADR6350 using ADR6350

I honestly held of on even posting the name of the product as I know so many people have used it with no issue. I am chalking it up to my hair not agreeing with the product. I went to the DR first to see if something was wrong with me. Then when all results came back neg. I had to admit this was the only new thing i used. I will send her an e-mail to let her know what happened with hopes that it is a bad batch but am not going to try another batch to see if it works. This is truly a lesson learned because I have made my own sulpher mix for a while after BT dissapeared and had no issues. I was excited to see Claudies reopened and I remembered her mixes didn't smell like hot feet the way mine did. Oh well I guess I will make my own batches like before. I know my hair will grow back its just a bad experience and a huge set back in the thickness dept.

beloved1bx

I too use Earl Gray tea to help with shedding. The buy the organic tea in bulk at my local health food store and make it almost the same way @Pompous Blue makes it.

My shedding is possibly caused by excessive androgens (male hormone) due to having PCOS. For this I also take three tablespoons a day of ground flax seeds. I grind them at home in a dedicated coffee grinder and mix it with a liquid of choice. It's fatty acids helps control the production of excess androgens which can cause excessive shedding.

This. Is. Me. I was told a few years ago that I have PCOS and was put on birth control to help with my PMS. I have had some success over the last few years maintaining and retaining my hair for the most part except i shed like a dog, and my edges are fading. It's kind of depressing sometimes. I've started taking saw palmetto recently and i've noticed a slight decrease in my shedding. I've been researching DHT blockers and after reading this thread will start doing tea rinses and looking into coffee as well.

PJaye

FYI, in addition to drinking green tea, some great anti-androgen DHT blockers are pumpkin seed oil, emu oil, stinging nettles and saw palmetto.

When my friend’s hair had thinned substantially from excessive shedding, I sent her bottles of stinging nettles oil infusions with emu and clary sage added for good measure. She used them for weekly HOTs and her hair showed significant turnaround within a month.

greenandchic

This. Is. Me. I was told a few years ago that I have PCOS and was put on birth control to help with my PMS. I have had some success over the last few years maintaining and retaining my hair for the most part except i shed like a dog, and my edges are fading. It's kind of depressing sometimes. I've started taking saw palmetto recently and i've noticed a slight decrease in my shedding. I've been researching DHT blockers and after reading this thread will start doing tea rinses and looking into coffee as well.

Its interesting because for years I thought I was OK since I was able to finally lose weight and maintain regular cycles though diet and lifestyle. My hair is still shedding, still have acne and facial hair though. It wasn't until I compared my hair to others here that I realized that my excessive shedding is not normal.

BTW, what BCP are you taking?

I made the coffee oil that Pompous Blue was telling us about last night and today, and I'm going to start using that tonight. :lick:

beloved1bx

greenandchic I was on and off Yasmin for a few years until June when my insurance upped the price AND wanted me to pay a deductible. I switched to Ortho Tri-Cyclen but it gave me headaches and made my cycle heavier. In Oct. I started on the generic version of Cyclessa and I haven't had any unpleasant side effects so I'm pretty content with it. My gyno was the one that told me that having a cycle that lasts 7-9 days was not the norm, LoL, so BCPs were kind of a godsend when i started them. I always come across things saying losing 50-100 hairs a day is okay, but when I couldn't run my hand through my hair without pulling out a handful of shed hair, and the amount i'd have after a detangling session was too much for my liking.

PJaye thanks for the heads up. I ordered emu oil which arrived today and will look into nettles. Hopefully between all the DHT blockers from the tea rinses and the oils I can see the same kind of results your friend did.

greenandchic

beloved1bx - Thanks for the info - the names are helpful. I haven't been on BCP since 1999 because when it took Ortho Tri-Cyclen, (it was pretty new back then) I blew up like a balloon, LOL. I'm curious about trying something else again, but I need to do a lot of research.

In terms of DHT blockers, I wonder if nettles tea would be beneficial either internal or external...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
PJaye That mixture sounds really good PJ.:lick: Glad it worked for her.

Next time I replace my ACV at the Health Food Store I will pick up some Stinging Nettles and maybe Some Horsetail or that Roobis(sp) to add with my Black Tea.

greenandchic Lemme know how your Coffee Oil turns out. Ltown makes that too (I think).

I "Brewed" a Pot of Coffee and Will rotate it with the Black Tea Rinses. I just happened to have a Coupla' Packets of Coffee I knew I'd never Drink.:lol:

PJaye

@PJaye Right now I'm using Christine Gant's Neem Oil which has DHT Blockers and some other DHT Blocking Products.

That sounds good. You can always add these DHT-blocking oils to your DCs, rinses and cleansing conditioners if you’re not a scalp-greasing/HOT type of person, as I am.

I’m glad the oil infusion worked, too, since I was operating on the basis of a theory rather than from personal experience. I wanted to create a simple DHT-blocking, stimulating, cell regenerator with strengthening and thickening properties. Looking at the current state of that heifer’s hair, I believe it worked.:lol:

Before her shedding and thinning episode, she would clutch her chest like Fred Sandford at the slightest sign of new growth and puffiness. Now, she relishes the so-called “bushy” state of hair so much that she regularly stretches her relaxers from every 6 weeks to 12 or more weeks (she even coats her previously relaxed hair with conditioner and oil). She went from thin, wispy NL hair to fluffy, thriving APL in a little over a year. I told her that everything I learned was derived from LHCF and I’m just paying it forward as the need arises.

I used emu oil because I absolutely love it! Not only does it have the ability to rejuvenate and wake up lifeless hair follicles, but it is also highly penetrative - it can access all layers of the hair shaft and is able to take other substances with it for deeper penetration. This is why I added the clary sage given its ability to eliminate hair loss by preventing hair fall, in addition to its capacity toward strengthening and thickening the current hair shaft

IdareT’sHair and Ladies, be sure to keep your plan of attack simple and consistent. As long as you regularly use emu oil in conjunction with one other beneficial substance (a non-drying antimicrobial or antifungal agent) you will see improvement.

I know it is passé, but I HTH.

Ltown

Greyland
I had major hair loss and shedding, i use the following teas black, nettles, horsetail, and burdock. All have different benefits internal and external but they are my weekly tea rinses.

greenandchic

I've been making and using coffee oil since this thread started. Right now I have a pot (I use enameled cast iron) of coconut, sunflower, olive, hemp seed, jojoba oils (whatever oils I can find at home right now) with coffee. I will strain it some time this evening...

I'm always open to new (safe) ideas to control this constant shedding I have.