Help!!!! I need advice on natural hair care

NYRICAN1

I've been trying to maintain my daughters natural hair for a while now with hair extensions and twists with rubber bands and beads at times, and even just twists but it seems that her hair gets so try and doesnt seem to be growing. I think that it is growing but her ends are just breaking so fast that I dont see the improvement.. Should I just stop putting hair extensions in her hair , should I just press and curl . I am just so desperate and confused right now. She loves hair and sometimes I feel responsible because it seems like I was doing fine at one point but then her hair starting getting really dry and breaking off. Can you girls give me some advice please. I also bought carol daughters shampoo and hair butter and I was thinking of using it tonight. Could it be the length of the time I would leave her extensions in (2-4 weeks).. Sorry for the long post, but I feel so guilty since at one time her hair was growing very nicely and now its so dry. At the time I remember I was twisting her hair every other day. Maybe I should go back to doing this.
All suggestions are appreciated thanx in advance girls.

hey NYrican!! the rubber bands have to go...that will just pull ur daughters hair out with no remorse..who is putting the extensions in ur daughters hair? who ever is doing it, maybe its too tight..thats a deffinite no no..are you deep conditioning her hair..heat treatments ,using a wide tooth comb when combing out her hair..?
are you daily moisturizing her hair while in the braid? dont feel guilty..its all a learning process...i had to learn the hard way..my mom is from PR and had no idea how to deal with My AA hair..i had to learn thru this group here..you will too..let us know the details..we are here to help... and welcome!!

hello. :D the main tip that i can give you is to find a really good moisturiser. [/COLOR] if her ends stay moist they shouldnt break. i use a mixture of rose water and glycerin mist before styling my hair (using a wide fingerd comb). also you might want to find some soft fabric hair bands as rubber ones can easily add to the cause of breakage. my hair is natural, i wash it at least once a week and always tie it with a scarf at night. everyday day i add aliltte moisturiser in the morning and before i go to bed. :grin:
last thing-dont worry you sound like really a caring mom! :)

lol..we think alike!!..o yeah..that silk scarf is very imporatnt, like natural said..every nite, to avoid ur daughters hair rubbing against the pillows..that will cause massive breakedge...

asummertyme said:
hey NYrican!! the rubber bands have to go...that will just pull ur daughters hair out with no remorse..who is putting the extensions in ur daughters hair? who ever is doing it, maybe its too tight..thats a deffinite no no..are you deep conditioning her hair..heat treatments ,using a wide tooth comb when combing out her hair..?
are you daily moisturizing her hair while in the braid? dont feel guilty..its all a learning process...i had to learn the hard way..my mom is from PR and had no idea how to deal with My AA hair..i had to learn thru this group here..you will too..let us know the details..we are here to help... and welcome!!

Thanx asummertyme . Hey we have something in common my parents also are from PR and my hair is a 4a/b and my daughters hair looks more like a 4b. I washed her hair last night, put in a deep conditioner from carol daughters, put in a leave in conditioner and put her hair in 2 strand twist using carol daughters healty hair butter. I just really need to find a very good moisturiser. any ideas?

naturaline said:
hello. :D the main tip that i can give you is to find a really good moisturiser. [/COLOR] if her ends stay moist they shouldnt break. i use a mixture of rose water and glycerin mist before styling my hair (using a wide fingerd comb). also you might want to find some soft fabric hair bands as rubber ones can easily add to the cause of breakage. my hair is natural, i wash it at least once a week and always tie it with a scarf at night. everyday day i add aliltte moisturiser in the morning and before i go to bed. :grin:
last thing-dont worry you sound like really a caring mom! :)

thanx naturaline. What would you recommend as a moisturiser for every day when hair is already dry. I did 2 strand twist on her hair with healthy hair butter after washing it and deep conditioning her hair with a carol daughters intense conditioner. Is the rose water and glycerin mist also good for dry hair? Where can I buy these 2 ingredients? thanx for all your support.

Hey :wave:

I feel your pain. My daughter is 4 a/b. I had no idea how to take care of her hair. Now it is no problem.

What has helped in combating her dryness was pre poos with evoo/VO5 and moisturizing deep conditioners 1x a week . Usually I may add evoo and honey(if I have any) to her dc's. Also protective stylings like braids(no extensions) puffs and natural french rolls. I may blow dry her once a month, if that. I use the dome dryer for her deep conditionings and pre-poos sometimes. I may press with the Maxiglide every 4-6months using heat protectants.

Everytime I do her hair I spritz with lavendar scented water and use a wide tooth comb or K-Cutter. I used to generally moisturizer her length with SheaMoisture Leave-in(now using a pure Shea mix) and oil her scalp with Surge Lotion Motion #9 oil.

I agree with asummertyme, the rubbers bands are a no-no.

I wish you all the best. Keep reading, you'll learn a lot here.
ETA: Also, she has pics in my album as well as a link to her own album there on my Fotki.

Last edited:
I have the type of hair that you are referring to amd one thing tha has helped me is using castile based shampoos and moisture rich conditioners. Really good ones out there are Oyin Honey Hemp -excellent detangling, Carol's Daughter Shea smoothie, and Aubrey's Organics Island naturals. I LOVE all three of these, and I have alternated between them. I am really not loyal to any one product, but I stick with castile based shampoo whether homemade or by Carol's Daughter. Other than that, be gentle, and if you must use rubber bands, use the ouchless ones. Also EVERY time that you comb or handle this type of hair have a spray bottle handy. I have made various glycerin sprays, and they help to keep both mine AND my daughter's hair moist.

Also, do you not feel that the hair butter gives moisture to her hair? If so maybe trying a clarifying shampoo may help. I have used that product off and on for a while now, and it works for me. Let me know if that helps.

Back