Help!! Henna/ Indigo Doesn't "take" On My Grays/4c Hair

kayte

I have gone to the Henna Sooq website, spoke at length with several reps. After several tries (years) with the 2-step process, and not getting the jet black results or even warm brown that I see successfully accomplished with others on You-Tube, then desperate, and skeptical,
I tried 1- step and lastly even advised to use a 3 step process

1) Mix Red Raj ,
(2) Add Indigo after Henna release,
(3) Keep on hair-hours--overnight --also tried shorter
(4) Proceed with Indigo--

With oils, and without, with salt & without, ---with lemon-without,
used clarifying shampoo, used apple cider vinegar

It still turns my grays, a brassy clown-orange, or dull green, while the rest of my hair looks like a streaked calico cat! Instead of one uniform color -- or nothing happens at all
:(
So far, resisted just turning to Bigen or alternative--I really want to keep Henna
I am ordering a new batch--but before I do --hoping to
Capturekathy.JPG
to have your wisdom
I would love a deep brown auburn

Last edited:
I have gone to the Henna Sooq website, spoke at length with several reps. After several tries (years) with the 2-step process, and not getting the jet black results or even warm brown that I see successfully accomplished with others on You-Tube, then desperate, and skeptical,

1) Mix Red Raj ,

It still turns my grays, a brassy clown-orange, or dull green, while the rest of my hair looks like a streaked calico cat! Instead of one uniform color -- or nothing happens at all
So far, resisted just turning to Bigen or alternative--I really want to keep Henna
View attachment 449401
to have your wisdom
Are you low porosity?

Have you noticed if the indigo comes off in your hands while touching your hair?

I got better results when I used amla and henna but I have not gotten indigo to work on my hair. My strands are too smooth and it doesn't attach to the henna.

1) Mix Red Raj ,

View attachment 449401
to have your wisdom

Did you shampoo your hair before applying the henna? Maybe a sulfate shampoo

Oh man sorry to hear this.

I just did an henna indigo session and had the best results in a while. I posted with pics in the henna thread.

I have low porosity hair natural hair for reference.

Steps:
- mixed henna (Red raj) with warm water and allowed dye release for 4 hours.
- washed hair with clarifying shampoo
- applied henna, sat under dryer for 30 min then sat with henna for another 3.5 hours.
- mixed indigo with hot water and 2 tsp of salt then let it sit for release for 15-20 minutes
- applies indigo, sat under dryer for 30 minutes then sat with indigo for another 3.5 hours.
- washed out indigo with conditioner (VO5)
- moisturized with CD Hair Milk and Wave Nouveau.

Hopefully something in there is helpful.

For me, I feel like keeping it simple (only using water) and keep the indigo in longer may have made a difference (the major changes I did as well as use a different henna).

Thank you for sharing.

Do you wash the henna out of your hair before applying the indigo?

I'm new to hennaing.
Oh man sorry to hear this.

I just did an henna indigo session and had the best results in a while. I posted with pics in the henna thread.

I have low porosity hair natural hair for reference.

Steps:
- mixed henna (Red raj) with warm water and allowed dye release for 4 hours.
- washed hair with clarifying shampoo
- applied henna, sat under dryer for 30 min then sat with henna for another 3.5 hours.
- mixed indigo with hot water and 2 tsp of salt then let it sit for release for 15-20 minutes
- applies indigo, sat under dryer for 30 minutes then sat with indigo for another 3.5 hours.
- washed out indigo with conditioner (VO5)
- moisturized with CD Hair Milk and Wave Nouveau.

Hopefully something in there is helpful.

For me, I feel like keeping it simple (only using water) and keep the indigo in longer may have made a difference (the major changes I did as well as use a different henna).

Thank you for sharing.

Do you wash the henna out of your hair before applying the indigo?

I'm new to hennaing.

Oops, yes I didn't write that step.

But yes, after having the henna in my hair for 4 hours, I wash it out (no shampoo or conditioner). Then apply the indigo.

Back