HELP! Bald spot! Your advice needed! Pic

05girl

:sad:

OMG.
I have been dealing with CCCA at my crown and have seen progress.. but THIS.. THIS is something new and totally scary.

I have a bad case of HIH, partly b/c I know I shed a lot. Usually whichever way I wrap my hair, i end up messing with the opposite side all day (if i wrap my hair left, i part my hair on the right and hair laying to the right side has a funny feeling and I end up touching it). I was used to this, and today i came home, looked in the mirror and noticed a brand new thin/bald spot near my edges! ::cry::

It's just small enough to maybe not be noticeable. dunno how i'll do a ponytail for the gym. this is very scary. I get relaxers every 8 weeks, and thought that affected the CCCA, but now ?! My last relaxer was right before christmas.

HELP! How can I combat this? I go to a stylist every 2 weeks. My hair is otherwise healthy. I eat relatively healthy.... please please help!

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

DarkandLovely

It really doesn't look as bad as you probably feel it does but I do understand your concern.
First, I would definately consider stopping the wrapping and consider cross-wrapping. Some people can do it w/o any adverse effects but it can be too much for some heads. I used to wrap my hair primarily to the same side for years and my hair was always thinner on one side than the other. I thought this was just how my hair was. But I stopped doing that 2 yrs ago (when I learned about LHCF) and my hair has completely recovered.
2nd I'm not sure what CCC is but you should look into essential oils. In particular rosemary oil has even been shown to regrow hair in people w/ alopecia. Other's that are known to be good are peppermint oil, lavender oil, cedarwood. I use them all mixed w/ jojoba oil on my scalp b/c I had a trouble section in the crown of my head that never grew longer than a few inches and itched like crazy. Now I have no problems from my scalp period and the hair in that area is as long as the surrounding hair. You may also want to add scalp massages to your reggie. Sorry so long but I hope that helps. I'm sure your hair will thicken back up in no time.

05girl

Thank you Tay! You give me hope. I have some follow up questions if you don't mind.

Where can I buy/find these oils?

What kind of scarf do you use to wrap you hair, and how do you tie it?
I often wonder if how i tie my scarf hinders growth. I have a satin scarf, but not one of those humongous ones... about an 18in x 18in square. i also use a mesh wrap to hold my hair together ( neck length, barely shoulder length hair). I create a triangle with the scarf and tie it so the long side is at the front and the knot is at the nape of my neck (lose end tucked under knot).

DarkandLovely

No problem. Glad I could be of help to anyone. You can find them at Wholefoods, the Vitamin Shoppe, Fiesta, even sometimes HEB (depending on the neighborhood). I forgot one I also have lemongrass. Try not to overdo it on some of the oils such as the lemongrass and even the peppermint oil b/c they do carry a strong aroma w/ them. I made a mixture w/ a little too much of the lemongrass once and a coworker walked by me and asked if someone had just made tea. I said nothing but I knew he was referring to my lemongrass fragrance coming from my scalp:lol:.

Regarding the scarf. I also use to used a satin scarf (and I still do occasionally if my other one is dirty) but I upgraded to a silk one. I just went to Marshall's and bought a regular silk scarf that people wear as a scarf but use it for my head. It only cost ~12-16 dollars vs at the department stores where they cost ~30+ dollars. I also bought a silk bonnet. I also started to tie the knot to the front of my head b/c I too was concerned about it causing breakage to the back. I sometimes use the scarf or bonnet alone but sometimes I also fold the scarf to where it forms a band a few inches thick wrap it around the front to back and tie in the front of my head (the central part is uncovered) this is to lay down my edges. I then put the bonnet on top of this. I hope that makes sense.

illuminatiamerica

the perm is taking your hair out
stop relaxing it
believe me i know
i think im the only one who has replied to you so far who has had a bald spot bigger than yours
the safest way to straighten is with heat and a heat protector
the lye is a dangerous substance

illuminatiamerica

the relaxer is eating your hair from the ends and its going to continue to munch until your hair is smooth at the root aka bald

believe me, i know

05girl

Yeah I had been thinking of giving up the creamy crack when I started getting breakage at the crown (like CM length hair left)... but now, this is all I need to give it up. Looks like 2010 I join the naturals club....

I got my first relaxer when I was 8. I turn 28 in a few weeks. It's been fun but.. dueces!

illustrioussplendor

I agree with the posters who say is the relaxer. I have three triplets in the middle of my head that look exactly like the spot in your picture. I let my friend put a relaxer in my hair in October and last mnoth started noticing bald spots one by one. I think she overpocessed it and didn't wash the relaxer out well enough. She washed my hair in her kitchen sink and she didn't have a sprayer. I think the high water pressure from the sprayer is essential in ensuring that the relaxer in thoroughly rinsed out.

illuminatiamerica

Herbs and essential oils originating in countries other than America are most effective in growing hair on bald spots. American soil is not as effective for some reason. Lavendar, rosemary, jojoba are not as powerful as international oils/powders, etc.

05girl

@sanserity - crazy! Have you had any regrowth? How soon after the relaxer did you get the thinning/balding? I got my last relaxer 4 weeks ago...

@illuminati - where do you buy your oils?

SmileyNY

If you want to stop relaxing and go natural, that's your decision.

However, it is VERY possible to have relaxed, long & healthy hair. I think you may be relaxing too often. Try to stretch your relaxers at least 12 weeks. After 8 weeks, there is not enough NG to truly be confident that you are not overlapping (which causes breakage and balding).

JDenni81

It doesn't look that bad to me either but I can undertsand your concern.

Also @ Tayflea I had some Rosemary oil in my hand yesterday at the natural food store and put it down. I am going right back after work to purchase it after reading your post!

neet4

I have been using the alopecia essential oil blend for about 6 weeks. The tingle/ inflammation feel on the balding portions of my scalp is starting to calm down and I have to take that as a positive sign.

Check out this thread on our half sister site. I'm hoping this is not against forum rules Essential Oils For Hair Loss and Shedding - The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards.

I found this site that says they have developed a "hair and scalp oil blend" based on a clinical trial that was done with essential oils. It's the same trial mentioned at the website you posted.

Has anyone ever ordered anything from this company or tried this product? The name of the company is Esoteric Oils and looks to be in South Africa.

I would much rather purchase something like this product rather than buy the oils separately and mix them up myself. My crown area is thin and balding and I need something to stimulate growth there.

Hair and scalp Blend - our new clinically proven blend to help with hair loss and alopecia.

illuminatiamerica

@05girl

banyan botanicals has a great oil for bald spots called bhringraj oil
its just bhringraj and sesame seed
thats all you need

if after using a blend of american grown oils/herbs for 6 weeks with no improvement, it makes sense to say that they are not effective

ayurvedic oils/powders work best for bald spots

bhringraj, brahmi, amla

also try vadik herbs brahmi oil on amazon.com

read the reviews; it fills in bald spots!