HELP! Bad relaxer!

Afrodite

I went to JcPenny’s salon in South Jersey about a week ago. When I left the salon my hair looked fine because she flat ironed it. This is the second time this stylist gave me a relaxers. I was 16 weeks post before she relaxed my hair. She was recommended by a friend with very long hair that goes to her. I told her I don’t like my hair bone straight. After washing my hair a couple of days ago, I realized she relaxed half straight and the other half looked thicker with out the silky look the other sided has. One side lays flat and the other side is a lot puffier. I roller set my hair and when it dried it looked okay and both sides looked close to the same texture. I asked my husband how it looked after it dry because he saw what it looked like when it was wet. He thought it wasn’t that noticeable. My hair didn’t shredded, so that is a good thing. But I think I should correct my hair texture. I have decided no more salons, I will self-relax.

How long should I wait for a corrective relaxer if I decide to do it?

Thank you for your help.

Kimberly

I would think, if you are not having any problems with the two different textures and it's not noticeable when styled, that you should be able to wait until your next regularly scheduled relaxer. Just, during the last few minutes of processing, work it threw the underprocessed side.

Good luck to you!

Afrodite

Thank you for your help.

I agree I will wait until I relax my hair. I will research to determine which relaxer I should use. Right now I am thinking about ORS Olive Oil.

asha

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I agree that you should wait till your regularly scheduled relaxer. If you are a stretcher and you start having problems between the two textures then I would do it sooner. I'd wait atleast 4-6 weeks (depending on strength/health of hair) before correcting for sure.

Afrodite

Thank you, I will wait and watch my hair for any problems. Last year this time I only had about a 1/2 inch all around my head except the back, which was shaved. I decided to grow my hair back. So this incident is very upsetting to me but I know with the help of the people on LHCF I will be all right. Now I have to learn how to self-relax. I rather rely on myself, then someone else. I have been reading this site for years and I know more then most stylist here in South Jersey. So if my hair is going to have problem, then it might as well be from my hands. At least it’s free.

Afrodite

Yes my DH will help me but I would like to know how to relax without help just in case he isn’t around when I really want my hair done. He uses to help me with my hair all the time but it seems we are so busy. Years ago I would only go to the salon for a relaxer and the rest he would help me do. My friends were surprised that my DH would help me with my hair. He would roll my hair using the perm rods, help with up dos, and he even colored my hair.