Heat Protectants: Flat Iron vs. Blow Dryer

Charla

I'm going to do a blow dry LC for the first time on my natural hair. So I went to Sally's for a heat protectant and bought Beyond the Zone Turn Up the Heat. But I started noticing some heat protectants just say something like "thermal protectant" and others specify "flat iron protection", like the one I bought.

Is this ok to use for the blow dryer too? What's the difference between one that specifys it's for flat irons and one that doesn't? Thx

Hi! I don't really know the difference between the two, but if you try Beyond the Zone and it doesn't turn out to your liking, i use a heat protectant called chi, right before i blowdry my hair. Its a great heat protectant! It leaves your hair looking really shiny and pretty.

that's interesting. I've never seen a heat protectant that flat out specifies what type of heat it's for. I usually see them labeled as "heat" or "thermal" protectants.

that's interesting. I've never seen a heat protectant that flat out specifies what type of heat it's for. I usually see them labeled as "heat" or "thermal" protectants.

Yeah, I never shopped for them before, so I wasn't expecting to see that. But I saw several that either specified flat iron or just generally said heat protectant or thermal protectant. I thought heat protectant was heat protectant.

I also thought heat protectant was heat protectant. I like using spray on heat protectant when I blow dry and serum based when I flatiron.

i use beyond the zone and chi silk infusion when i blowdry and flatiron...they work well, because i have no heat damage even when doing more than the optimal number of passes, and i've straightened 3 times this year...

I also thought heat protectant was heat protectant. I like using spray on heat protectant when I blow dry and serum based when I flatiron.

i use beyond the zone and chi silk infusion when i blowdry and flatiron...they work well, because i have no heat damage even when doing more than the optimal number of passes, and i've straightened 3 times this year...

Ok, so that's why it seems like a lot of ladies in older threads always mentioned 2 heat protectants -- they use one for blow drying and the other for flat ironing? This is all new to me! I'm trying to learn as much as possible to avoid heat damage!!!

Ok, so that's why it seems like a lot of ladies in older threads always mentioned 2 heat protectants -- they use one for blow drying and the other for flat ironing? This is all new to me! I'm trying to learn as much as possible to avoid heat damage!!!

i use both for both steps (spray on beyond the zone, then a little chi, then blowdry, then reapply when i flat iron), or sometimes i use only chi silk infusion, other times just BTZ...i like that BTZ is serumy but sprayable so that it coats the hair better and more evenly...the chi i use because i have it...it doesnt actually say its a heat protectant, it just has lots of cones just like heat protectants so i figured it can get the job done alone...you dont really need 2 separate protectants...

A flat iron protectant, blow dryer protectant, and thermal protectant will all achieve the same goal. If you want to use a little before you blow dry and a little more before you flat iron you can do that. I've never used that brand, I use hana which is a thermal leave in protectant but like I said, it's for all purposes of heat styling. Curling irons too. Hope that helps! :)

Back