Have any of you experienced any adverse reactions from taking too many vitamins?

kittie43

I am starting my vitamin regimen to get maximal growth. I want to start with B-100, biotin 3mcg, msm 500mg, silica 500mg, flaxseed oil 1000mg, and a multivitamin. Do you think that it is too much too soon? Have any of you had any bad reactions from taking all of these things at once?

Esq.2B

I recall one poster saying that she started to sprout hairs including on her chin. I remember another poster saying that she had gotten some blood work done and her doctor said that she had high levels of something. I know it would help if I recalled what it was. Unfortunately I don't. :ohwell: And I also remember a person talking about belching fish oil.

I will say that I have become very hairy and I belch flaxseed oil. (This only happens once or twice after I take it). I'm taking that and fish oil but I think the belch is flaxseed. Also, you should probably drinks tooooons of water otherwise you can expect your urine to be darker.

sunshinelady

My B6 blood level was off the charts. Also, I think that vitamins may have been the cause of some hormonal issues that I had. Lots of people have problems with MSM, so be careful there. Biotin will break your face out.

poookie

hmm, where do i start :drunk:

-i've been taking a children's multivitamin (wal-mart knockoff of the Flintstone's Vitamin... ALL my supplements must be chewable!!!) daily for about 3 months now. however, in the past week i've noticed splitting headaches that lasted from the minute i wake up from my 1:00 PM nap until i fall asleep at night (around 12:30 a.m.). i stopped taking the supplement 2 days ago, and now i feel fine.

- i took MSM w/ glucosamine for about 2 weeks in november. after the first 3 days, my knees were in CONSTANT pain whenever i knelt down. i stopped taking it after 2 weeks, and the day after i stopped, the pain went away.

HOWEVER, i've noticed a significant change in my hair. usually i get AT MOST 1/2" in the top of my head where my hair grows the fastest... but this month (as in the difference between nov 3rd and dec 3rd), i have about an inch of unstretched new growth at the top of my head. (unfortunately my kitchen is still struggling along at 1/4" a month)

(but then again i'm weird)

ttlayli

Okay now I'm scared!!! I just ordered from PP and my Biotin and B Complex50 will be here on Thursday!! I dont wanna walk around with acne (a problem I recently "grew" out of") :perplexed Maybe I shouldnt take it then...

YUMMY28

I was taking biotin, flax, nioxin, and some others a cant remember but its was like 5 vits and i broke out so bad I just never took any again but my hair still grows and its very healthy

Sparker65

I was taking 10,000mg of Biotin and broke out with chest acne :sad: I now have two lumps under my skin on my chest that won't go away. I need to go to the doctor to see about getting them removed or treated.

loved

I don't know, but I know that my mother hates the idea of me taking vitamins and momma has never steered me wrong. She says I need to put more effort into a balanced diet. I do think they may have contributed to some weight gain for me.

When I finish what I have, I probably will not buy anything else, but iron.

RainbowCurls

- Silica gave me acne.
- Flaxseed oil gave me "digestive problems".
- Brewer's Yeast (source of biotin) gave me itchy bumps on my arms and legs.

So, yeah, I don't do supplements any more.

lollyoo

YES, when I first joined the forum I was on combination of 6 different vitamins at least,
I was within the recommended doses for vitamins, but still delayed ovulation and period.
I stopped immediately.
I currently dont use any vitamins,although may try b-complex in future.

gymfreak336

Okay now I'm scared!!! I just ordered from PP and my Biotin and B Complex50 will be here on Thursday!! I dont wanna walk around with acne (a problem I recently "grew" out of") :perplexed Maybe I shouldnt take it then...

Drink alot of water. That should stop any problems

gymfreak336

I was taking 10,000mg of Biotin and broke out with chest acne :sad: I now have two lumps under my skin on my chest that won't go away. I need to go to the doctor to see about getting them removed or treated.

You started off with 10mg....that is too much to start with. Try a lower dose, increasing every two weeks.

gymfreak336

Drinking a lot of water doesn't work for everyone.
Some people (like me) just shouldn't be taking that stuff.

I agree. Water can help but if your body doesn't like it then it just don't like it and nothing can change that.

I can't take some b-complex vitamins. I took one once and woke up with tiny bumps all over my face and back.

crazydaze911

You started off with 10mg....that is too much to start with. Try a lower dose, increasing every two weeks.

My advice exactly - start low and build your way up. when you start having problems, that means you've gone beyond your bodies allowable dose (your body never lies). Then you know that the previous dose is the dose that works. Or if you've already started and have problems, do the opposite - go from high to low slowly to see how much your body can handle. too much of anything is not a good thing. some vitamins i take every OTHER day - i have a pill box so this is easy for me to remember. IMHO, you dont have to go crazy with the extras but i think EVERYONE should at least take at multi.

tbaby_8

I started out taking the GNC hair, nail and skin vitamin and a generic multivitamin. I didn't like the taste of the GNC vitamin and I really couldn't tell a difference after I used the bottle up. I may reconsider buying another brand of hair, nail and skin vitamin. I am going to start back taking a mulit because I have started working out and trying to eat healthy again.