Has Anyone With 4b,c or z hair achieved successful rollerset??

virtuenow

Has anyone with 4b or kinkier hair ever achieved a successful rollerset for stretching purposes? I would like to get the ultimate stretch w/o using heat...but I don't think I've ever seen anyone w/kinky, thick, dense, high shrinkage hair do so. Is this done on soaking wet hair. How long does it take?

Last edited:
I do it weekly. You should stop by the setting to success thread and you will see lots of naturals and ladies deep into their stretches getting great results via rollersets

Yes! Expect to still have texture, but for me it is the ultimate stretching method for my natural hair. I stopped because it took too much time and it was tiring because of the amount of hair I have.:blush: I like quick and easy hair routines.

I did my first rollerset this weekend. But my hair is still really short though. But my hair was straighter with the rollerset then when I pressed it. I rollerset on dry hair and not wet though because I wanted it to dry quickier and I didn't want to sleep on rollers.

Yes! Expect to still have texture, but for me it is the ultimate stretching method for my natural hair. I stopped because it took too much time and it was tiring because of the amount of hair I have.:blush: I like quick and easy hair routines.

Thanks everyone. Oh yeah, the time factor...I imagine it would take 2-4hrs for my thickness. I may need to reconsider :perplexed:

Thanks everyone. Oh yeah, the time factor...I imagine it would take 2-4hrs for my thickness. I may need to reconsider :perplexed:

virtuenow
Aww I didn't mean to discourage you! With the ponytail/cheat rollerset method (which if you're only trying to get your hair stretched and not straight, works great), I was able to cut my rollersetting time down to less than 1 and 1/2 hours when I really got the hang of it. I'm just lazy with my hair to be honest. lol

Yes. My hair is also highly dense and mostly 4b, with hints of other textures, but before I cut it in January, I tried rollersetting it once (though I kind of half-az'd it) :look: and the results were pretty good and I got compliment from my employees. I only had pillow soft rollers, but I think if I'd used magnetic rollers or something of that sort, it would've turned out better.

OP my hair's texture is probably the same as yours. Honestly, I've never seen someone with our texture (extra kinky/extra coarse) achieve a successful rollerset. There are some 4b people with a little less coarseness (4b coil pattern nonetheless) and more hang time that can achieve it but with a lot of practice and lots of cursing later lol (this is just from what I've seen with my own two eyes).

I would love to see some pictures of a success one..All the times I tried it looked homemade. I want my rollerset to look as polished as a strawset. Those come out good on my hair they just take a long time.

i have some natural hair rollersetting tips but i dont think my texture is kinky enough to qualify....:(

I definitely agree with this post and I'm 100% 4b. I was inspired to stretch by rollersetting by looking at caopara1's youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzcB-Bo3lo4 and I get results similiar to hers. My roots are NOT straight and I still have texture, but I'm able to put my hair in a ponytail easily and wear it like that for about a week. What stops me from doing them often is the time it takes to put them in and the drying time combined.

Hope that helps!

Nonie LOL! forgot about that!

I have actually improved using the ponytail method and actually letting my hair dry all the way before taking the rollers out haha.

DSCN0727.jpg

It's not silky smooth but much improved over my last picture. :lol:

KCcurly, very cute^^. I don't even know where my hooded dryer is...or my little soft one. Been so long since I used them but you guys have me intrigued. But I think if it ever happens it will be on twists. I live like a loc'd chick. :look:

virtuenow

this yt'er has 4b/c hair and her roller set came out nice she used perm rods:

http://youtu.be/yh8p6zyIyZc

tabletop dryer suck as they are only good for shorter hair as your hair gets longer they are useless and your hurr takes eons to dry. a bonnet one would be a better bet....or a salons r us dryer would be even better.

i'm 3c/4a and my hair is much longer that hers, i have perm rods bigger than that in orange so i may give a variation of her hairstyle a shot when the weather warms up. i've been very bored with my hair but i don't want to cut it. i think rollersets will be mice to stretch out my hair and play with different styles. hth and enjoy the vid :)

Phoenix14 I used a table top dryer. I *think* I mostly air dried though. It takes too long under the dryer and I dont' have time to sit under one when I could be doing other things.

i did my first successful rollerset last week! i am in love..i used a leave in and foam wrap lotion..my hair was soft and smooth! will definitely do it again

You might want to check out Jeni from the Just Grow Already blog. She is waist length and has detailed videos doing her roller sets. Her vids are what helped me feel confident. My first roller set came out great.

virtuenow
Yes you have to rewet each piece of hair with a spray bottle before putting in the roller.

Back