Hair Washing Frequency

tlmack

How often should you wash. I go to the hairdresser every other week and do not normally wash inbetween is that bad for promoting growth.

How often do you wash your hair?

Are you natural, press, relaxed, texturized?

I'm transitioning.

I usually wash 2X a week in the summer w/ shampoo, co washing daily. Right now, my styles are either a wash n go or a bun.

How often you wash w/ shampoo is variable. It depends a lot on your hair. My hair gets oily if I go longer than a week and the way my hair feels changes.

Not long. If I'm co-washing, it's just putting in the conditioner, rinsing it and then applying a heavier one. I let it sit while I shower, then rinse again.
I don't "do" my hair. If I wash n go, all I do is add in some leave ins & let it airdry. If I'm wearing a bun, I pull it into a ponytail while it's wet and then create the bun. Total time is about 30 minutes.
Once a week, I try to do the works: pre shampoo treatment, shampoo, deep conditioner and wash n go. Now that's longer.

I've been going back and forth between twice a week and daily co washing. I prefer daily co washing b/c I lose less hair, my hair stays moisturized, and it doesn't tangle.

I do daily or every other day conditioner washes. Once a week I do a pre-shampoo treatment and shampoo/condition/deep condition. I am natural.

I wash 3 times a week usually on Sat, Tues, and Thursday. Occassionally I will do co washes but most times, I do one wash then conditioner and go. Saturday is my big wash and conditioner day. I am natural.

I absolutely love doing daily co washes. I put my hair in a wet bun and let it dry. I hardly lose any hair and my hair seem to response positively to daily washes. I too enjoy doing this during the summer. Once it gets cold (I live in the NE) I go back to three days a week. Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday (this is my poo day).

I am natural. I wash my hair every other day with shampoo and conditioner.
I can't say it helps with growth, but I work out everyday, so my scalp needs to be cleaned.

Normally- twice a week. In the summer - almost daily. I also just wet bun and that's all. I've been using shampoo everyday too - not just conditioner.

I'm relaxed.

I'm natural. I wash my hair every 5 days.
-----------
I have a question for those of you who wash more frequently. When you do condition washes, does that mean that you just put the conditioner in your hair, rinse it out, and then just go? Or do you actually run a comb through your hair every time you condition wash?

If I tried to run a comb through my wet hair every day, I just have a feeling I'd lose a lot of hair.

My wash routine varies according to what styles I am wearing.
Some weeks I do daily co washes and when wearing my drawstring ponytails or braids I wash twice a week.

What do you think is best for growth? I'm beginning to think that just every two weeks at the hairdresser isn't enough.

I just dread the time it takes to press it. I know I couldn't do that everyday.

Maybe I could try the bun?

When you put your hair in a wet bun, how does it look when it's dried? Does it dry as if it were pressed or just the blow dry look?

You can see the curls/waves in my hair when it's in a wet bun. It does not dry completely straight.

Nay when I do my co washes, I usually have my hair in braids for a braid out or four braids. I put some water and conditioner in a squirt bottle and saturate my hair. I shower and then rinse. I let it air dry then undo my braids. I would say I comb my hair an average of 2-3 times a week tops. I don't lose a lot of hair either. Take care Q

Last edited:
I think that washing every 2 weeks is perfectly fine if it works for you.

I was my hair every 10 days (sometimes i co wash at day 5 depending on my hair style).

I am relaxed 3c/4a.

Back