Hair Too Soft For Braids?

MsCarmenP

Is this even possible? I'm trying to do some crochet twists with singles around my perimeter but people are telling me my hair is too soft for braids. :cry3:What can I do?

I've had kinky twists, box braids and Senegalese twists before. With the kinky twists and box braids, they were slipping out after only a couple of days (same person did them). With the Senegalese twists, somehow the twists didn't slip out but parts of my real hair slipped out of the twist. The person who did those said she couldn't get a good grip on my hair. And the person who did the kinky and box braids said my hair is "too soft and silky" for braids. She equated it to a white person getting box braids. o_O My cousin used to cornrow my hair and always made comments about my hair being too soft too. I haven't went to a professional for braids because I don't want to pay all that money only to have it slipping out a few days later.

So is this too soft for braids things real? Or is it they just don't know what they're doing? Is there something I can do to make the braids stay? I can do my own cornrows for the crochet twists but I'm having trouble finding someone to do the singles around the perimeter because they're saying my hair is too soft.

naturalmanenyc

I had the same problem, Kinky twists and Senegalese twists slipping right out of my head within less than a week of being installed. I'd never had braids installed as an adult until the Kinky Twists. This happened with two different braiders. The first set of kinky twists were done at a salon. The owner said my hair was "too soft" to hold braids although I see White women wearing extensions on the regular.

I posted about it on my blog here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/protective-hairstyles/do-your-braids-slip-out/

It turned out to be the technique. The second braider (works out of her house) used a different technique when I saw her the second time after the initial Senegalese twists started to slip out with days of the initial install. I don't know what she did the first time but the second time she sort of twisted my hair into the extension hair at the root, then went on to twist the rest of the strands. She has done my hair multiple times since then, Havana twists, and they did not slip out using her technique.

Some people braid the first 1/2 - 1 inch then twist the remainder.

MsCarmenP

Thanks. They did start braiding first and then twisted. Maybe I just need to have someone else try. For some reason, your link is trying to open as an application. But I did find your site and I'm reading it now. Good stuff!

imaginary

The hair at the front of my head is definitely way too soft to braid. And then it's so fine, that it breaks so easily. Even twisting my hair is a struggle and it still pulls out within a week. I'm still experimenting with techniques though and I've given up on braids (for now anyways).

Last edited:

overtherainbow

I have this problem with sections of my hair that are looser and finer in texture. To prevent slippage, the invisible root method really solves the problem for me. To achieve this, when I separate a section for a single braid, I take about a third off the top of that section and put it to the side. I then begin to braid the rest of the section with the braiding hair for about 3 braiding motions (does that make sense? I'm not sure how to word it lol). Next, I hold that braid in place while I separate the top section in two, place it over the braided section, separate that in two then continue to twist as normal.

MsCarmenP

Thanks for all the comments. Yeah, my hair is fine and breaks easily. I think I'm going to just press pause on individual braids/twists for now.

snookes

I have this problem with sections of my hair that are looser and finer in texture. To prevent slippage, the invisible root method really solves the problem for me. To achieve this, when I separate a section for a single braid, I take about a third off the top of that section and put it to the side. I then begin to braid the rest of the section with the braiding hair for about 3 braiding motions (does that make sense? I'm not sure how to word it lol). Next, I hold that braid in place while I separate the top section in two, place it over the braided section, separate that in two then continue to twist as normal.
@overtherainbow I have that problem too and I tried your tip but the thing is my hair unravels from the ends up. I've tried every product suggestion & even those loom type bands but by the time I have wrapped the band around the end of my twist the twist has come lose again.

Do you have any other suggestions? TIA

Regards Michelle

overtherainbow

@overtherainbow I have that problem too and I tried your tip but the thing is my hair unravels from the ends up. I've tried every product suggestion & even those loom type bands but by the time I have wrapped the band around the end of my twist the twist has come lose again.

Do you have any other suggestions? TIA

Regards Michelle

It sounds like A) you aren't feathering the hair when you pull it out of the pack or B)You are not twisting tight enough or not rope braiding (rotating each section individually as you twist). Also some braiding hair is more difficult for beginners than others. That's why I love Marley hair. It's much more forgiving than kenekalon. I am far from being a twist extentions expert though ;)

snookes

It sounds like A) you aren't feathering the hair when you pull it out of the pack or B)You are not twisting tight enough or not rope braiding (rotating each section individually as you twist). Also some braiding hair is more difficult for beginners than others. That's why I love Marley hair. It's much more forgiving than kenekalon. I am far from being a twist extentions expert though ;)
Thank you for your reply. I get what you are saying about rope braiding but what do you mean by feathering?

Am gonna defo try all 3 of your suggestions. And let you know. Thank you for helping me out

Regards

Kinky4Agirl

If it's just longer hair you're trying to achieve, what about corn rows with free hair added afterwards through the loops of the corn rows. Remember this style ladies from back in the day? Then your own hair can grow while still rocking weave..

overtherainbow

Thank you for your reply. I get what you are saying about rope braiding but what do you mean by feathering?

Am gonna defo try all 3 of your suggestions. And let you know. Thank you for helping me out

Regards

I don't know how to explain it but she explains it in this video after 1:30.
She does it for aesthetics but it helps keep my braids from unraveling as much. It's the same when my hair was relaxed. After a blunt cut, my ends would unravel. But after a month and my ends weren't so blunt, my twists were more secure.
And anytime :)

Dellas

Fine hair that is too soft for braids slips out and will not stay (think Tara banks hair). However, you have to have someone that know what to do. 75% of the time people fail. When my hair is long and natural I have a 50/50 chance of the braids staying. If it is texturized or permed ...forget about it. If it is short and natural forget about it.