Secure Braids v. Tight Braids?

naturalmanenyc

I had kinky twists installed less than two weeks ago (first time with any individual braids since I was 13). Three different braiders worked on my head until I complained (sizes were all different) and then the owner finish my hair. Some of the kinky twists were already slipping within a week, to the point of looking like they would fall out. After less than a week there was about a half inch of my hair showing before the twists started. I went back to the salon last night and had about 10 twists redone (4th braider).

A comment made by a braider (one who had worked on my initial install) was the kinky twists were slipping out because I requested that they not be done too tight?

Is it really not possible to install extensions securely without them being tight?

I see now that at least 2 additional twists appear to be slipping out. There is almost a full inch of my hair is out before the twists start?:perplexed

Last edited:

choctaw

Kinky twists don't have to be tight to be secure. Maybe they should have started with a braid at the root and twisted the length. It can also be twisted the entire length but there is a technique to starting the twist with extension.

That's my two cents. I hope some experts responds to your post.

Post a pix if you have time.

Ms. Martina

I am not sure about kinky twists, but I have yarn braids in now. I did them myself and they are not tight at all, and I haven't had any fall out. Maybe they just did them extraaaaa loose. Also, is your hair a little more on the silky side with a loose curl pattern? That might also cause the braids to slip some.

naturalmanenyc

Ms. Martina
No, I don't think I have silky hair. It's 4a and tightly coiled when wet.

Okay, so I went back to the salon for the third time and the owner fixed the loose twists. The interesting thing is I went in knowing that twists at my right temple needed to be redone but she immediately started to redo twists at my left temple. There were sections of my hair where I could fit my finger between my hair and the start of the twist. I had the twists put in on Saturday, February 4 and they were loose within a week.

I thought maybe I had done something wrong (washed & conditioned) but friends at work who wear braids said they were just not done properly.

Loose twist at right temple

twist redone at temple

loose twist at nape

redone twist at nape

I do plan to keep these in for 2 months, if they last :perplexed. Next time I will just get a crochet version of this same style.

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Ms. Martina

Apparently I do have soft, silky 4a natural hair. My new style, Senegalese twists, are loose after only 3 days. I have not washed or wet my hair. I used braid spray once.

This new braider says she may have to redo some of the loose ones with a braided root instead of the current technique, which is twisted at the base like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIuHZH3n59k

DH has my same hair type (but in dreadlocks) and told me that he had the same problem. His hair took about 5 months to lock.

BlackMasterPiece

Yea I can tell by your pix that you have 4a silky hair, not coarse, you can probably slick your hair into a wet bun if you wanted right? My coarse hair coud never do that in a million years. She'll probably need to start it with a braid to secure it, don't you also routinely loosen your curl with a BKT too, that probably contributed to it.

faithVA

I have mostly 4b hair but the 2" in the back are something else. They slip within the first 2 days. And I have even started them with a braid and they slip. So it definitely could be the texture/curl pattern of your hair.

Even though they slip mine will not come out. They usually stay at the initial slip point until I take them out. But the twists that slip are more prone to matting at the root.