Hair thinning, going bald - please help!

erac6329

I have a couple of the natural oils mentioned at home. I'll start using those and hold off on the relaxers for now.

Thanks again. I appreciate the advice.

yodie

I called my dermatologist and scheduled an appointment but I can't get in until the 3rd week in November so I came here to get ideas of what I can do in the meantime.

I'm not sure of the brand of the relaxer. I go to beauty salon and get it done.

Thanks for the advice ladies.

Let your hair and scalp rest and wear a cute wig until you see a dermatologist. Leave the relaxer alone. Having straight hair isn't worth the damage that it's doing.
After you've seen the derm and find out what's going on, look into Design Essentials Transitioning Therapy System in place of a relaxer.

God's favor and please let us know how everything turned out.

prettybyrd

I don't have any advice to offer that hasn't already been given, but I would like to say good luck, keep us posted, and welcome! :)

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
Did your stylist even mention that there appears to be a problem before it got that bad? When you see the doc make sure you get you vit d checked as well. That's all I got and good luck.

mshoneyfly

Im so sorry this happened to you :)

I second the JBCO suggestion for soothing your damaged scalp and for thickening and growing your hair. JBCO or HBCO is great for a lit if ailments; namely inflammation. I massage my 75 year old Mom's back and legs about once a week to get rid of the arthritis kinks. She says its a lifesaver. I have been using JBCO mixed with coconut oil and EOs to massage my scalp and do the GHE method. My hair is noticeably longer and thicker. See the full healthy crown edges challenge for pics.

I do think you should go to the doctor too just to get a diagnosis and see if the treatment will help. I wouldnt relax anymore either if I were you. Also, consider only using natural products like oils, teas, herbal powders to grow and thicken your hair.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

erac6329

She used a 'Design Essentials' relaxer. I normally wash my hair maybe once every two weeks. I used a new shampoo on Friday by Organix - Keratin Oil Shampoo & Keratin Oil Conditioner. I saw the red spots on Sunday so on Monday, I used T/Gel therapeutic shampoo extra strength. It's suppose to help with psoriasis, dandruff & seborrheic dermatitis. I followed that with a Coconut Oil formula deep conditioning protein pack.

My scalp is still tender & sore.

Sorry. This tablet keeps changing my text spelling to different words.

Last edited:

ManeStreet

There are good alternatives to relaxers. Once your scalp is better consider getting a Formaldehyde free keratin treatment.

Guinan

Re-Branding
erac6329, No added advice, just wanted to show support and share my experience. However, I agree what everyone has posted.

I had two severe relaxer burns on my temple. They scabbed & evenutally the hair fell out in that area. Since then the hair has grown back alittle bit, but I still have the spots. I took the advice from the other ladies and used JBCO on the burns. I also stopped going to the salon for my relaxers and started self-relaxing. I switched relaxers too. I used to use Mizani BB No-Lye but switched to Linange Shea Butter Texturizer Lye. IDK, everytime my stylist used the Mizani relaxer, I ALWAYS had burns. After my stylist burned my temple; I stopped relaxing for about 8mths.

Make sure you dont scratch the area that's damaged. When I had my burns they used to itch like crazy b/c it was healing. I noticed when I would scratch that area it would bleed and my hair would come out from picking the scabs.

I hope everything works out (((HUGS)))

Last edited:

beloved1bx

She used a 'Design Essentials' relaxer. I normally wash my hair maybe once every two weeks. I used a new shampoo on Friday by Organix - Keratin Oil Shampoo & Keratin Oil Conditioner. I saw the red spots on Sunday so on Monday, I used T/Gel therapeutic shampoo extra strength. It's suppose to help with psoriasis, dandruff & seborrheic dermatitis. I followed that with a Coconut Oil formula deep conditioning protein pack.

My scalp is still tender & sore.

Sorry. This tablet keeps changing my text spelling to different words.

@erac6329 didn't you say you have some natural and/or essential oils at home? which ones do you have. You should try applying them directly to your scalp (preferably on a daily basis). Many of these oils have anti-inflammatory and healing properties.

Misseyl

Looking at your pictures, it looks like something genetic to me. You might need to stop relaxing and or texturize if you want to keep your hair. You are relatively young so a dermatologist might come in handy.

sunnieb

Welcome OP!

So sorry you are going through this! :(

Along with staying away from relaxers and going to a dermatologist, fire your stylist.

Also, not relaxing for a while doesn't equal going natural. There are a multitude of styling options to choose from nowadays. However, your hair/scalp health is what you need to focus on right now.

crazytrish75

Welcome to LHCF! What a way to start your journey! :hug2: It will get better IF you stop self treating/diagnosing and go directly to the doctor.
Don't let it get to a point where you lose your hair permanently. That happened to my sister and now she has to wear a full weave and wigs all the time because of permanent damage to her hair follicles. It's sad because she had the loveliest hair I've ever seen.

I agree that you should cease all chemicals until you're properly diagnosed and treated.

Get yourself a nice wig or two and keep it moving!

:yep: my sister too has a VERY large permanent bald spot from folliculitis caused by relaxers. She finally listened to the dermatologist and went natural a few years ago, but still has to cover that spot, as the follicles are completely dead. That spot is smooth as a baby's butt. It limits her hairdos.

erac6329

I started using virgin coconut oil on Tuesday and some Keratin Oil instant repair oil.

And yes my mom has thin hair and her side's are pretty much gone.

mshoneyfly

The coconut oil should be great on your scalp but the organix keratin oil has lots of other chemicals so I wouldnt put on my scalp. That one might be good just for the hair. Let us know how it works for you and how the coconut oil is treating your scalp

I LOVE this HHJ!!

erac6329

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

I've been using the T-Gel shampoo to wash my hair once a week. Followed by a conditioner. I oil my scalp 3 times a week using cocunut oil. I also use JBCO on the front edge and the top of my head where it is thinning everyday. I just started messaging my scalp this week. I wear my hair up during the week. I style it once on the weekend after washing.

I saw the dermatologist yesterday. My scalp was healed by this time. She didn't think I had any scalp problems. She suggested that I stop using chemicals and heat to deal with the thinning hair. She also said that it could be genetic and that I could try using Rogaine for Women to try and grow the hair back.

I think I'm going to try the formaldehyde free keratin treatment when it's time for my next relaxer and go from there.

jerseyhaircare

You may want to take time to peruse the website and read about healthy hair practices including threads focusing on appropriate products and how to have healthy relaxed hair. It's overwhelming at first, but there is a lot of useful information on this site. Welcome to the board.

blueberryd

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

I've been using the T-Gel shampoo to wash my hair once a week. Followed by a conditioner. I oil my scalp 3 times a week using cocunut oil. I also use JBCO on the front edge and the top of my head where it is thinning everyday. I just started messaging my scalp this week. I wear my hair up during the week. I style it once on the weekend after washing.

I saw the dermatologist yesterday. My scalp was healed by this time. She didn't think I had any scalp problems. She suggested that I stop using chemicals and heat to deal with the thinning hair. She also said that it could be genetic and that I could try using Rogaine for Women to try and grow the hair back.

I think I'm going to try the formaldehyde free keratin treatment when it's time for my next relaxer and go from there.

Good Gawd, I wouldn't try that! :nono: There have been some horror stories about BKT on this board. I would suggest no chemicals for a while. Have you ever looked into wearing wigs as a protective style? I bet that would do wonders for your hair. They have some really natural ones nowadays. Or even half wigs...I would just suggest leaving your hair alone as much as possible for a bit...the rest of your reggie sounds good now :yep: