Hair thinning, going bald - please help!

erac6329

Hello Everyone,

I'm in desperate need of help. I've always had thin hair. I just recently noticed that my hair was thinning on the sides in the front and in the top of my head. For a long time, I've noticed small pimple like bumps on my scalp that would hurt if I scratched them but they would normally go away. I get a relaxer every 6 - 8 weeks. My last relaxer was two weeks ago. One week after that relaxer, I started using a Monistat 7 mixture I made to try and grow my thinning hair back. I used the mixture for 3 days (Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday). I noticed my scalp being much more sensitive and could feel some bumps. I asked my mom to take a picture of my scalp were it was most sensitive and saw small bumps that were filled with blood. She said that my scalp was red at the top of my head and some of the bumps were bleeding.

Now, I'm not sure what to do or how to grow my thinning hair back out.

I do not want to go natural so I'm looking for any suggestions other than that. I'm new to this site so I haven't had time to go through all of the threads.

Please Help

top of head.JPG

red bumps.JPG

It is possible its from the relaxer. Also don't use the MN any more just in case it is that. You need to pamper your scalp and not use or put anything harsh on your scalp or in your hair. Try to stretch your relaxers out more until you fully heal. There is plenty relaxer threads with ladies who may be able to help you a whole lot more. I'm sorry this has happened to you and I hope you get the advice you need.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

It may be allergic reaction to the Monistat and the Relaxer.

I would start by attempting to extend (stretch) my Relaxer to every 8-10 weeks (since you want to continue relaxing).

Possible change relaxers. Don't leave it on as long (processing). No excessive smoothing. Proper Neutralizing. I would stop using as much Heat. Very minimal heat.

I would also start to baby those spots with JBCO (Jamaican Black Castor) or some other soothing type oil.

And Deep Condition with a Combo of Protein & Moisture.

I agree to go see a dermatologist. I believe you are burning your scalp between the relaxers and the heat of the dryers. Looks like you have developed alopecia. Stretching may help. I'm not sure. You may need to braid it up and wig it for a while.

The dermatologist may be able to give you something for it. For my thinning, I use an oil blend with EOs and do regular scalp massages. I also use a mudwash to detox and heal the scalp. There are a lot of different ways to go about it, but oil and massages is low cost, easy and effective in a lot of women.

Don't over massage or manipulate your hair/scalp until you get your scalp healed.

Go really easy on your hair for a while until you get it healthy.

Your damage looks severe.

This is not the time for self-diagnosing or self-medicating.

Get thee to a DOCTOR STAT!!!

This is serious and the longer you neglect it (finding a proper diagnosis) the more likely your problem may be irreversible.

Please see a doctor at once.

LHCF does not have medical professionals to diagnose your problem through pictures. So, I would start with a DOCTOR before trying any home remedies.

Leaving the relaxer off your head for several months may start the healing process.

Finally, go see a DOCTOR, please!!!

Sorry, if this sounds harsh but I'm scared for you.

WELCOME ABOARD!!!

erac6329
Welcome to the forum. We don't coddle folks with matters of hair here if there are serious issues going on. You need to stop relaxing whether you like it or not and I agree that your need to see a dermatologist or even a trichologist ASAP!!! No more monistat either....I have to ask this and I know its likely to make you mad. Why on earth if you have thin hair would you relax and wear your hair straight? Makes no sense, more texture via being natural or wearing textured curly/wavy styles would give you far more volume. Something for you to think about. Natural hair is not limited to afros, twists, braids, locs or childish looking hairstyles...there's tons of options in addition to straightened natural hair.:yep:

Last edited:
I second with the stop using relaxers but it has nothing to do with the twilight face off of team relaxed and team natural. You need to stop using ALL chemicals on your scalp, that includes monistat and grown aids. Stop using chemicals until your hair grows back.

Go see a dermatologist.

Start taking a multivitamin. Not sure what else to advise minus seeing a dermatologist again... Make sure you're getting nutrition internally and try not to stress either. You might wanna invest in wigs (caps with no clips or glue) once you being medicating the area to protect it from manipulation

Girl, that looks painful. :nono: :hug2:

I don't have any advice other than what has already been suggested. Hope you get the help you need soon, keep us updated, and WELCOME!!

Stretch your relaxers too. My head looked like that until I started stretching since I couldn't transition. I relax no more than 3 times a year with a mild perm then I do my crown LAST

Welcome to LHCF! What a way to start your journey! :hug2: It will get better IF you stop self treating/diagnosing and go directly to the doctor.
Don't let it get to a point where you lose your hair permanently. That happened to my sister and now she has to wear a full weave and wigs all the time because of permanent damage to her hair follicles. It's sad because she had the loveliest hair I've ever seen.

I agree that you should cease all chemicals until you're properly diagnosed and treated.

Get yourself a nice wig or two and keep it moving!

Last edited:
I called my dermatologist and scheduled an appointment but I can't get in until the 3rd week in November so I came here to get ideas of what I can do in the meantime.

I'm not sure of the brand of the relaxer. I go to beauty salon and get it done.

Thanks for the advice ladies.

Last edited:
I called my dermatologist and scheduled an appointment but I can't get in until the 3rd week in November so I came here to get ideas of what I can do in the meantime.

I'm not sure of the brand of the relaxer. I go to beauty salon and get it done.

Thanks for the advice ladies.

I would stop by the beauty salon when you have a chance and ask them what type of relaxer they use. Find out the brand, strength, and type (no lye vs lye).

Since you have 3 weeks until your appt, quit using the monistat for now. Look around your house and see what natural oils you have (if any). they should be 100% of that oil (no mineral oil, coloring or other additives) and start applying to your scalp. Castor Oil is a good one although since your hair is already on the thin side, it would probably be too heavy for everyday use, so you might want to apply it to your scalp overnight/few hours before your wash day. But coconut oil is also a good option and should be easy enough to find at your local grocery store. Aloe Vera Juice also has soothing and healing properties.

Be sure to post in the Relaxed hair thread for help in stretching your relaxer. You don't need to make any big decisions about staying relaxed or transitioning right now but you definitely shouldn't relax your hair again until you get this irritation on your scalp/hair thinning under control.

Last edited:
Ouch! Yikes! That's so scary and it looks painful You don't have to go natural but you MUST take an extended break from relaxers at the very least Best of luck keep us updated Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

1. Stop relaxing immediately
2. Stop applying anything to your scalp apart from light natural oils for the time being.
3. See a dermatologist
4. Sop relaxing immediately

You don't want to go natural. However, I suggest that route until you regrow your hair and learn how to take care of your hair better then you can start relaxing again. My 0.02.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Why would a stylist go through with applying a relaxer with your hair in the condition its in??? SMH at these so called professionals.

Plenty of advice given, no more chemicals (at least till you get your situation under control, no form of straight hair is worth this), stop with the MN, opt for light natural oils as suggested above, and follow through with your dermatologist appointment. Good luck!

Last edited:
I agree with everything the ladies have said so far. Just wanted to add, you might want to also stay away from any tight braided styles as well. So often when ladies are experiencing any difficulties with their hair, they run to get extensions or weaves. But please let your scalp rest and recover and keep it clean to promote healing. Many of us have recovered from scalp trauma, I have, and it wouldn't have been possible without my dermatologist. Glad that you sought help. Good luck.

Yikes! That looks like it hurts OP! I know you stated you don't want a relaxer anymore but coming from a staunch member of #TeamRelaxed ditch the perm. After going to the doctor and allowing your scalp to rest for awhile, get you a professional grade blowdryer and flat iron. Your hair will thank you.

So unnecessary. It's more advice in the hair world that doesn't involve you saying anything about a relaxer.

Well, that was my advice... It was your advice too^^...

Yikes! That looks like it hurts OP! I know you stated you don't want a relaxer anymore but coming from a staunch member of #TeamRelaxed ditch the perm. After going to the doctor and allowing your scalp to rest for awhile, get you a professional grade blowdryer and flat iron. Your hair will thank you.

I'm not going back and forth with you :lol: that is not what you said at all. No one left rude comments in your thread when you found out your hair wasn't doing as well as you thought. Good night.

I'm not going back and forth with you :lol: that is not what you said at all. No one left rude comments in your thread when you found out your hair wasn't doing as well as you thought. Good night.

Oh, so that's what you meant. I wasn't trying to be rude at all. OP asked for advice but said not interested in going natural--that would have been my advice. She specifically asked for no advice in that regards, so I said "can't help you". I think that's the first step in resolving her problem, no more chemicals. I have a thread about a problem that had already been solved, so my hair was doing very well. I posted it to help others w/similar problems...

Hi OP,

Welcome :) I know you want to remain relaxed, but if I were you, I'd stop for no until I get these issues under control. You can always go back to relaxers anytime, but your scalp health is most important.

This is what I'd do... Big chop.... so the only thing I have to use on my hair is water, occasional shampoo and natural oils like olive or coconut. Throw away that MN... you can wear wigs.. but the chemicals may react with your scalp, make sure you shampoo wig thoroughly before you wear it.

See your dermatologist at your November appt...

Hang in there ... It will be okay :)

OP,

I have had this problem.
I used to have sores in my scalp after a retouch that would WEEP...

I had to stop the relaxers- there was no other way.

Once I healed I decided to NOT go back to relaxers-
my scalp just could NOT take it!

It didn't matter what kind of relaxer- kiddie, no-lye, lye, mild-
my scalp would respond VERY negatively.

Now, I have been natural for 3.5 years,
and aside form an occasional visit from mild psoriasis,
my scalp is very healthy!
Some (not all) of my hair has regrown,
at least to the point that it can't be seen that I'm a little thin in the front,
and I have even BC'd into a mohawk,
and now that has grown in.

Your scalp is talking to you-
you MUST listen to it!!!

Good Blessings for your scalp
& keep us posted on your progress!!!

photo.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back