Hair Growing Buddies Support Thread

BotanyGrl

This is the Official Support Thread for Hair Growing Buddies created by LHCF member Mandy4610.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=173221(Original Thread)

UPDATE: Our group email address is [email protected] :grin: We will not be forwarding any newsletters via pm. They will be sent by email. If you would like to receive the support bi-weekly newsletters and tidbits, please send your email address to [email protected]. Please title your email, "Add to Group newsletter" and include your LHCF member name. Please forward us suggestions for the group as well. Thanks!

The purpose of this group is to provide support in growing healthy hair. We will send a weekly/bi-weekly update pms to all group members with tips, product reviews, general support, and anything else we can think of to encourage you to reach your goals. Members please post your hair type, regimens, current length, fotkis, blogs, goals, and anything else you choose. Feel free to pm any or all members for encouragement, general questions, etc. Members please bookmark or subscribe to this page. If you would like to be added to our group, post up or pm Mandy4610.

Current Members(51):
Click on the members name to access fotki. If it's locked, the password is in the member's profile.
Mandy4610
321-------------------------Papoose
poochie167------------------Sui Topi
PAPRIKA---------------------percious2him
mingming3-------------------prettyfaceANB
caramelcutieinva-------------ChocolateKisses
candiel----------------------monieluv
wannabelong----------------wawa82g
aquariangirl------------------shortee
harrison---------------------carribslc
almondjoi85------------------atweety82
NappyParadise---------------iaec06
MsAngie---------------------TdotGirl
virgo_chinwe----------------sweetnlow06
NJ_n_ATL76-----------------suehi
stargoddess----------------- derbygurl
JD2'd------------------------Aggie
BrownEyez22----------------Wantlonghair_1988
LAURENCE-------------------ckachinski
LaBelleChele-----------------lilamae
MZMATTHEWS---------------NaturalgurlAZ
tyefrmy----------------------sweetpuff
CarmelQueen-----------------phyl73
jtsupanova-------------------finewine83
wevwil----------------------dinaaike
arr1216----------------------Prettyeyes

Let's get Growing!

Last edited:

BotanyGrl

Thanks 321, for putting this together. I really appreciate it.
You're welcome Mandy!

so is this thread open and ready for us to post our stats? :grin:
Yup... We are off :yep:

I'm 4a/b relaxed, APL and trying to reach BSL. I'm currently a do-it-myselfer, gave up the salon over a month ago. I miss the environment, but enjoy doing my hair myself. My main obstacle is retention and split ends.

Regimen:
I relax every 3-4 months.
Wash every two weeks. As I get closer in my stretch I'll wash every week.

Shampoo, (Clarify every other)
Protein Treatment(Every other wash)
Deep Condition
Condition(Light Quick Rinse)
Oil Rinse (Works Wonders... Coconut Oil w/ Evoo)

I moisturize ends daily with Elasta QP Mango Butter and Seal w/ Castor Oil.
I give myself a Jojoba scalp massage 5-6 days a week.
MTG (Sulu) 1-2 times a week. (I'm going to use it until it's gone!)
Protective Styles 5-6 days a week... Updos, with clips or pins, buns, ponytails. I let it down on the weekend if I go out.

Mandy4610

I will just give a little intro, I am not so organised with my hair regimen and everything yet.

I am a do-it-yourselfer, have been since i could do my own hair. I can count on one hand the number of times anyone else has done anything (axcept braid and cut) with my hair. I have to figure out what hair type I have (any idea how I do this). My hair is currently neck length, I am aiming for shoulder length my next summer.
I used to relax every 4wks sometimes even sooner, until I found this forum. Now I am trying to stretch 8wks.
I wash my hair every week, mostly on the weekend. I always condition my hair with every wash, usually I do a deep condition.
I have to work on a proper regimen, but this is me for now.

PAPRIKA

:hiya:okay here are my stats: currently relaxed between SL and APL, hoping for bumped APL (at the least) by May. I have been a DIY since last November mainly because it seemed that every time I went to the salon I would get an inch chopped off and I was never really pleased with the hair styles. I just realized that I do my own hair best...and when it doesn't come out right I only have myself to blame. I self trim once every 4-6 mos or whenever I noticed my ends looking "fuzzy." My method is to trim 1/4-1/8 in ends as I roller set each section. I haven't ran into any problems doing this b/c my hair is in layers and I never wear my hair stick straight. My sister applies my relaxers for me and I rollerset after every wash. I will dry with hooded dryers or let air dry--yes I can sleep with magnetic rollers. :yep: I will cowash with Suave Island coconut, or clarify with Suave daily clarifying poo. I also use Aphogee 2step protein treatment every 6 weeks and Redken Extreme Rescue Force if my hair feels mushy btn. Also at every wash which is every 4-7days I will apply cantu leave in shea butter conditioner :lick: mixed with africa's best hair oil. Additional products I use are the following: vatika oil, ORS olive oil pack, profective breakfree and daily moisturizer creams, and my own water-based conditioner concotion (mixture of various left over conditioners, leave in, setting lotions with water that I will use on dry rollerset btn washes. I do plan to try out other products (ie Giovanni and Dominican)but for now this works. Its simple, inexpensive, easily accessible and seems to work for the moment. :drunk:

harrison

I'm 4/b natural

current regimen:
co-wash every other day
wash weekly
deep condition weekly
henna monthly

I use shea butter and aloe vera gel as my main moisturizers. They are used 2x a day.

BT at night, and baggie.

Length- not full SL(unstretched), just in the back.

ChocolateKisses

Ok.. I believe this is a calling for me to finally come out of hiding. I've been secretly lurking on LHCF since about late September (I'm secretly in love with the ladies on this forum.... :lachen::lachen:). This is just what I need. I'm currently neck length with I believe to be some sort of type 4 relaxed hair. I can use all the help I can get because I'm CLUELESS!! :spinning: So... I'm IN!!!

monieluv

this is definitely what i need. since i chopped all my hair, i've been at a lost. i co-wash daily, oil and moisturize twice a day, and poo and dc 2Xs a month. went from shaved to about 1/4" in a month. i need a growth miracle.

Spongie Bloom

Hey team members!! :drunk: Here are my stats:

I'm 4a/b relaxed i am about neck length my goal is more getting my hair on point regimen wise so that it can be its healthiest length wise i think i would be happy with bra strap length

Regimen:
I relax every 3-4 months. But i use braids quite a lot but im planning to cut down and just learn to live and love my hair. Pray for me that i dont run back to the braids im a bit addicted :nono:
Wash every two weeks. But when i take the braids out i'll be washing once a week

Shampoo, (Clarify every other)

Deep Condition

wannabelong

Hello Ladies,

Ok, here goes. I'm a 3c (I think) relaxed with about 2 inches on top (very short). I go to the salon every two weeks, which I'm going to cut out as soon as I can get my hair to a length that I can manage. I get a relaxer every 6-8 weeks. I use a MN mix every other day, I'm planning to switch to ayuvedic products after I use all the MN mix.

I really don't have a regimen yet, but here's what I plan to do:

moisturize with Cantu leave in every day
seal with coconut oil every day
co-wash on Wednesday
shampoo and deep condition every Sunday
clarify 2x per month

precious2Him

I want to join.

I am still new to this whole healthy hair thing. I am 4a/b relaxed. I am about SL. I am just buliding my reggie so I am still trying to find out what works for me, I am trying so hard to stick to it. I am excitied about taking care of my hair, it is something i really want to do.

Semi-Reggie (still working on it and finding my staple products):
wash 1x a week
deep condition 1x a week
protein when needed
moisturize hair 2x a day (need to work one this and find a good one)

maybe you girls can help me with my reggie.....:drunk:

Last edited:

mingming3

Hi Everyone,

What will be doing this week in regards to starting off our first week as
as a group. Should we share our regimens and new info that we have found??? I have found plenty!!! Ciao :yep:

FromHair2There

Hi I've been lurking on these forums for awhile as well. I believe my hair type is 3c/4a...I think.

My current regime is relaxing every 4-6 weeks. Wash every two weeks sometimes longer:perplexed. I just really hate washing my hair and then having to straighten it :blah:
I've just started pre-pooing a bit and using a heat protectorant. I used to deep conditioner back in the day...don't know why I stopped probably lazinesses.

I want to start stretching my relaxers and doing rollersets but I need to buy some products and funds are tight but hopefully I'll buy stuff a little at a time.

Oh and my goal is to grow my hair to my bra-strap for myself and if all goes well maybe try for waist length for my bf :rolleyes:. Currently neck length.

Last edited:

Hair2Dye4

Hello Buddies,

I'm fairly new and still not too sure of my hair type. I'm a DIYer, before LHCF I would relax every 3-4 months but I'm now 15 weeks into what I hope will be a 32 week stretch with some help.

My "Regimen":

*Poo and DC 2x weekly (Sunday & Wednesday)- CON green and La Bomba
Follow up with La Bomba Rinse
*Apply Carefree Curl Gold and extra virgin coconut oil daily to NG
*BT daily

I currently wear a full human hair wig. I think after my next relaxer I'll be able to add more to my regimen like rollersets, but right now it's just too nappy to try to do anything else.

caramelcutieinva

Hey all

I believe I am 3c with some 3b mixed. I'm still confused by the whole hair type chart.

I am currently APL and my goal is waistlength.

I am a PJ and I am still searching for staples.

I am working on my regimin but here is what I do as of now.

I relax 4 times a year (I take summer off).
I pre poo three times a month and co wash once a month.
I deep condition twice a month.
I clarify only when I feel my hair needs it.
I alternate hairstyles between braid outs, bantu knots, buns, blowout, or a wash n go.

harrison

Hi Everyone,

What will be doing this week in regards to starting off our first week as
as a group. Should we share our regimens and new info that we have found??? I have found plenty!!! Ciao :yep:

That's a good question... what shall we do after the intros... hmmm..

My new thing this week has been henna. I did my first treatment

I made a thick paste of shakaikai(sp) and jamila powders.
The turn out was great. I liked it alot.. and my hair felt really good.
Anyone else?

SignatureBeauty

NewsFlash/Update!!

Since my Last Post which was 11/26/07 I have now Gone back to Natural so as of 12/11/2007 I done a BC & I am starting with Half an inch of natural hair so my Routine has changed!

Ok my Routine/Regimen is: Shampoo with my Shampoo Bar 2-3 times a week,Use my Herbal Hair rinse weekly,Apply Claudies Growth Elixer everytime I shampoo,Deep Condition Once a Month and slick back with gel and apply my phony pony with comb attatchment!

I'll Post my Pic Later!

Last edited:

MissLawyerLady

Hi All,

I'm a 3c/4a, about an inch below shoulder length. I usu. get relaxed every 5 weeks but I am now stretching to 8 weeks- I know that's not really stretching but it is for me. I wash every 4 or 5 days using CON green (I'm going to try to start using poo only every other wash). My hair loves protein so I usually do a lite protein of some sort at least every other wash and a heavier protein the wash before my relaxer. I like to DC on dry hair with heat and then wash and lite condish for about 5-10 min. I blow-dry (air drying is not pretty for me) using no attachments, with a tourmaline dryer, on a low heat setting, by taking small sections and gently stretching them while drying. I usually don't curl anymore just do an updo or bun. I currently use BT and have seen quite a bit of growth.

Loves: Silicon Mix, Lacio-Lacio, GPB, Nexxus, protein, castor oil, flexi-rods.

Last edited:

BrownEyez22

Hello all, I am a newbie currently getting my regimen together and trying to stop some minor breakage I have recently encountered. (I'm a college student, I think stress really messes with my hair). I also started to plug up my curling iron more often than I promised myself I would :perplexed, I don't have it anymore so that will no longer be a problem. I am just starting to take care of my hair as of Aug since growing it out with about 3 different sets of micro braids and a weave since last Nov/Dec.

I think I am type 4/b fine(very soft), with med fullness, mostly texlaxed.

My regimen so far is washing only every 7-14 days (trying to cut down on manipulation since there is some breakage).

-Prepoo (still don't have this down exactly right working on it).
-Deep Conditioning with Creme Nourshing, Ors Mayo,
-Moisturizing with Ors Olive Oil and Mango Butter
-Sealing with a lil castor oil, olive oil, shine serum mixture I made. LOL
-Currently rollersetting with a saran wrap. Alternating Magnetic Rollers w/o clips and pin curls (just tried this hair kinda short need to work on my Technique) to keep my style. I was wrapping and flat ironing once a week.:nono:
-When rollerset messes up I wear head bands and clips.
-Did Henna for the first time a couple of weeks ago and my hair came out nice. I may try it once a month but I'm trying to KISS, until this breakage subsides.
-I just did 9 week stretch (it was not as bad as I EXPECTED) I think I could maybe go longer. I have a stylist that does my relaxers/texlaxer, but I am thinking of doing my next one myself :drunk:...gonna research next relaxer isn't until late Jan. so I have time to research.

I am currently looking for a higher end moisturizing cond that will help my fine soft hair. Also, needed tips on pincurls for shorter hair. Anyone do them with great results?

I do take supplements Hair Ultra, Flaxseed Oil Capsules, B-Complex, and Coconut Oil

That's all I can think of now. I don't have a photo thingy yet. But here's some attachements of my hair's current state. I needed to pull my clip up a little bite it was brushing my clothes. The other pic is after rollerset and saran wrap, it's really rolled tightly in the back to camoflauge:spinning:.

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• hair back.JPG
    hair back.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

wannabelong

Hey NappyParadise,

I'm going to get me a phony pony today. That was a great idea, I've been looking for something to do with my 2' hair other than part it on the side and slick it down.

almondjoi85

Hi everyone!

Hair Stats:
  • 4a/b/c relaxed
  • shoulder length with a goal of APL.
  • I do my hair myself some weeks other week I go get a doobie.
  • Last relaxer was on Sept. 27th I'm overdue by my standards I normally get one every 5 weeks or so.
Regime:
I wash once a week. If I do it myself I use the Suave Humectant shampoo and conditioner follow by Miss Keys super conditioner 10 en 1 as a deep conditioner. If I go to the Dominican salon they use whatever shampoo and conditioner they use and I bring my own 10 en 1 as my deep conditioner.

I give myself a nightly scalp massage every night with coconut oil.

That's about it. Oh and my last trim was a year ago.

shortee

HI I would like to join this thread.

Current length: sl
Goal length: APL by May 2008 (healthy, thick, strong)
Regime: wash every week with elucence and paul mitchel, i try to dc every other week. i prepoo with ors may or any conditioner i have and i let my hair air dry. (not to happy with current regime:wallbash:)
Problem area: hair line (vanishing before my eyes)
Growth aids: ors temple balm, hair pouss plus
Vitamins: MSM, B-complex, biotin

Demi27

Hey there ladies.

Regime: I said in a PM to someone that I was following Macherieamor's regime, but I think I'm going to have to modify that. I just took my hair out of braids after wearing them for soooo long. I have no idea how to take care of my real hair anymore.
Anyway, I'm looking at doing a wash once a week and co-washing about twice a week.
I've put in NTM leave in conditioner and sealed the ends with their serum.
As of right now, I'm using a combo of BT and the MN mix that was posted by iaec06.

Hair Info: I am 4a/b. I am relaxed. I plan on stretching my relaxers for as long as possible, but since I haven't worn my hair out in sooo long, I'm going to have to take it slow. I will try to stretch for 6 weeks to see how it goes and if I can go longer than that then great.

Good luck ladies!

aquariangirl

Hi all! I'm a newbie to this board and a newbie to starting my reg:perplexed
I think that I am a 4a/b
Current length (longest) SL in the back
Relaxed w/lye relaxer (can already tell a huge difference between lye and no lye, probably won't use a no lye again!) will relax 8-10 weeks
PJ and DIY-er:blush:

Still working on a reg but this is how I started as of this SAT:

Wash bi-weekly, deep condition
no heat except for deep conditions
protective styles: mainly phony ponies and lace wigs (I have not worn my hair out in AGES:blush:)
growth aid used weekly: (don't laugh) MN, capizone, lenzies request growth, MSM powder, MT (all of these are mixed together) and Surge Plus 14 after my wash/conditions (bi-weekly)
moisturize with either or combinations of: Lustersilk Moisturizer, CFC Gold, Surge Shea Butter or Woogie Cream or (the other Surge moisterizer, can't remember the name now) and seal with the Carrot Oil/Tea Tree oil.

I need to have a simple reg that I can follow

Last edited:

carribslc

Hello all,

Type: 4b relaxed
Current Length: I think I'm shoulder length but I could be wrong (any verifications???):whyme:
Goal: shoulder length/full shoulder length
Problem areas: edges and nape

Regimen:
Relaxer every 3 month (trying to go longer)

Weekly:
Pre-Poo
Wash
Deep Condition
Boundless Tresses
Rollerset
Wrap

• Not enough time for cute styles but it’s usually up in a banana clip(protective style), or twisted up in a French twist
  • Moisturize daily w/ORS Olive
  • Wrap at night w/silk scarf and bonnet
  • No direct heat (unless emergency), just hooded dryer

SignatureBeauty

Hey NappyParadise,

I'm going to get me a phony pony today. That was a great idea, I've been looking for something to do with my 2' hair other than part it on the side and slick it down.

LOL!!! We won't be wearing them phony ponies for long:grin: I can't even get a decent rollerset right now and I Love my rollersets, Maybe by Jan/08 I will be able to do a decent rollerset!:yep: You gotta watch them combs that come in the Phony P. because it can irritate and some have reported a loss of some hair.

PhoenixRose360

Hey ladies, I'm fairly new to the board. I still haven't found a foulproof regime. Unfortunately I'm a PJ, just mention it, and I'm off to the BSS.

My hair is a lil past my shoulders. My ultimate goal is to be either BSL or mid back, not sure yet. I'm transitioning, and my last relaxer was Dec '06. I want to see how my natural hair looks, I forgot, lol.

My regime is somewhat simple, since I'm new to the game. Once a month I use a clarifying shampoo, Suave Clarifying and use Suave Humectant as my conditioner for every wash. When I don't clarify, I use Pantene or Tresseme Shampoo. I also pre-poo with Olive Oil and seal my hair with Castor Oil. My last trim was at the end of Aug. I also started using the MN growth mix from previous threads, and I'm following Bargello's vitamin regimen.

Last edited: