Hair and Corporate America.

wednesday

I have a general question about something i have heard time and time again. I am not American but i have lived here for the past 6 years. I never thought of my hair texture or skin color being something that would hinder my professional advancement in any way but since moving to the US i have heard many times that it is seen as "unprofessional" to wear natural hairstyles to the workplace:ohwell:. Is this really true? Or is this a lie or misconception we have bought into? Because i really can't believe it:look:! I mean i know there is a lot of discrimination in the workplace whether based on gender, age, race or sexual orientation but surely hair texture isn't taken into consideration is it? Please help me understand!lol

faithVA

The US is quite large so you will see differences depending on what part of the country you live in, the diversity of where you live, what type of environment you work in (public, private, etc). It would be nice to say it is not taken into consideration but it still plays a factor in some areas. Fortunately you came into the country where more and more people were wearing their hair in natural styles.

It's just like any other place. There is a history and practices which are slowly going away but they aren't completely eliminated yet. Twenty years ago, even 10 years ago I wouldn't have dared wear natural hair to work. Now it is more acceptable. But even now there are certain styles I wear and certain styles I don't.

Off to a meeting!

Nonie

I don't doubt that there are some places where natural hair may not be accepted but I have never had any problem sporting natural hair at work. I can understand some hair styles not being acceptable because I know they would not have been accepted in my school in Kenya either. Like a WNG on my 4B hair looks like an uncombed mess, so I would understand if that or a chunky afro were not accepted. But it's sad if an elegant afro puff or bun were frowned upon.

There is a thread on professional natural hairstyles and while most look very becoming, there were some that make you raise an eyebrow.

I think a lack of confidence can also take away from a nice do and give it a bad light. If the first person who shaved half her head and walked around looking crazy with long hair on the other half hadn't acted like that style was the sh**, you would not have had so many copycats. But she rocked it and it grew on folks and some who might have laughed were fooled into admiring it.

ETA: OP, just so you can see how crazy some work places are, there was someone IIRC, whose job didn't want her to wear a bun. She has either natural type 3 hair or is relaxed and her bun was not considered appropriate. :rolleyes:

Last edited: