HAIR ANALYSIS results

colibri972

Tired of not understanding the language of my hair, I've decided to have my hair analyzed. I have always complained of the fact that my hair hates everything. Komaza is closed so I opted for Foot goose prints. On a famous curly hair board, someone said that the results she received from the two companies are pretty similar.

So here are my results:

Hair strand thickness: COARSE
6% of your hairs are fine, 29% are medium and 65% are coarse.
The range for your hairsʼ width is between 40 and 120 microns. The average is 84 microns.
WHHAAT?! 120 MICRONS! That's some coarse hair! No wonder my hair don't feel soft!

The hair from the side hairline sample you sent is much finer, the average hair there is 69 microns wide.

Key for strand thickness:
Very fine hair: Less than or equal to 40 microns
Fine hair: 40-60 microns
Medium hair: 60-80 microns
Coarse hair Greater than 80 microns (I'm above the average for my less coarse hair...:perplexed)
1 micron = 0.001 millimeters

Hair elasticity dry: Normal
Hairs stretch an average of 24%.
Hair elasticity wet: Low
Your hairs stretch an average of 27% when wet. Ideally, wet hair stretches more than dry hair. Your hair stretches only a little more when wet than when dry. When dry elasticity is normal and wet elasticity is low, it usually indicates that your hair tends to become dehydrated easily. (So true!)

Porosity: Low and normal at roots, normal at mid-shaft, porous to extremely porous at ends
The roots of your hairs are a mixture of normal and low porosity. The middle of your hair is a mixture of normal porosity and some porous hairs, with increased swelling in water, chips and cracks from normal wear and tear. The ends of your hair are mostly porous with some extremely porous hairs from which the cuticles have been completely worn away, leaving the cortex of the hair exposed. The ends of your hair swell more in water than the roots. :nono:
All the natural part of my hair (my roots) is low to normal porosity, my mid-shaft hair is relaxed and my old ends are relaxed and very damaged too. I will cut them soonner than expected. Relaxer only make my hair normal porosity not porous...

First picture : Lower porosity area near the roots of your hair. Cuticles form nearly entire lines across the surface of the hair. This hair is becoming normal porosity.

Second picture : Low porosity area near the roots of your hair viewed on the “edge.” Cuticles lie tightly against the hair, overlapping slightly. Here is looks more like gentle bumps.

Third picture : Normal porosity in your hair viewed on the “edge.” Cuticles still lie close to hair, but the overlapping is less smooth and tight to the hair shaft.

Fourth : Normal porosity area in your hair. Cuticle edges are more chipped and do not form lines across the hair.

Fifth picture : At right is at the ends of your hair, an extremely porous area where the cuticles have been worn away. This part of your hair needs lots of care for its porosity, and lubrication to prevent the rubbing that tears the fiber.

Something else I noticed is that many of your hairs are dense. They do not let light through. When I get hair like this for analysis, people also tell me that oil just sits on their hair. So you are not alone in your experience.

I've not put all the results because I think it would not be fair to Wendy (the owner of foot goose print).

Komaza and FGP have very different price the same price because they answer different need:
(IMHO) Komaza is more detailed, they will analyse your hair follicles, they will call you to answer all you questions, you will have the hair analysis, the good ingredients...

(IMHO) FGP is quick but on point. Wendy will send you the analysis, the companion analysis (she explains you what ingredients to use and how to), and a hair matrix. FGP is ok with carefully cutted with scissors hair.

I need a quick and effective response so FGP was good for me. But when my hair will be fully natural I will go with Komaza.

Wendy runs a very interesting blog. The article about why the hair in water cup porosity test is false should be read by every body ( now I know why everybody is low porosity with this test). http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks to this analysis I have understand that:

My hair have low porosity, coarse to very coarse natural hair.
I had doubt because my hair dry very quickly and when I tried to run my finger on my strands (from ends to roots) I would feel bump like if my hair was porous.

Everything act like protein on my strands because I already have an excess of protein. So I will stick to water and glycerin and avoid things that add substantivy and adsorption. This blog explain what it is: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/05/chemistry-of-your-hair-adsorbing-and.html
Her analyse of african hair is not very good... but all the rest is very interesting.

I would have never guessed my hair were this coarse! No wonder regular relaxer is awfully slow to straighten my hair. Now I understand why my scalp was always burned to death. I have a huge patches of scab hair in the back of head and in the front side... where I used to be burned.

If you want to buy the hair analysis from Footgooseprints:

You have the complete one
https://www.etsy.com/listing/158218594/hair-analysis-physical-properties-of?ref=shop_home_active_1

and the mini analysis
https://www.etsy.com/listing/165203245/mini-hair-physical-analysis?ref=shop_home_active_2

They can test you hair in acidic water or water with baking soda to see how it will react.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 07.31.00.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 07.31.00.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 07.31.08.png
    Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 07.31.08.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 07.31.32.png
    Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 07.31.32.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 07.31.39.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 07.31.39.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 07.49.23.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 07.49.23.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Wonderful information. Thank you for sharing your results. I've never heard of this company but it's nice to get info on the different ones offering this service. What products did they advise to you?

colibri972

Wonderful information. Thank you for sharing your results. I've never heard of this company but it's nice to get info on the different ones offering this service. What products did they advise to you?

HairPleezeGrow: I would like to tell you but it is specified that you can disclosed the product they advise to you. It would not be fair to them. Hope you understand...
But I can say you have very well known advice like avoir protein, use humectant, use warm water, use emollients on my porous ends....

I would say that FGP analysis is good if you want to have a quick analysis of your hair and confirm what you may think.

Fine 4s

Did they make any recommendations for products and/or how to use them knowing this information?

Never mind...I see your answer.

colibri972

Fine 4s
I'm really sorry! That's annoy me too to not be able to tell what she advise me... but I asked her what it was possible for me to say. But when you think about it, it's better for you to have your own hair analysis done. We see it every day on this forum what work for one don't work for the other.

JazzyOleBabe
I was sure I indicated where to buy analysis :perplexed

Beamodel
Thank you! I will put it in my post too.

To be honest, I think this hair analysis is good for beginner and curious advanced people.I'm not a beginner but I was in need of a quick answer.

This is my point of view from my experience :

if you are OK with your actual regimen, you don't have problem, you don't know your porosity and the thickness of your hair and you DON'T have problem with this, you have major problem and you think you need very in depth information, you know your porosity and strand thickness and what works for you, you want follicles analysis: DON'T BUY this analysis.

BUT if you don't have major problem with your regimen but you think you can still make it better, you have major problem and you want a quick answer, your low on budget, you know what works for you but you don't want to pay a lot of money just to have your porosity and the thickness of your hair analyzed, you don't really know your porosity and strand thickness and you're curious about this or you think it's a problem to achieve the perfect regimen, your curious to know if you have mid shaft split, how is your kinking, you want to know what ingredients can work on your hair (don't wait for huge revelation but things that can work for you), you want to know if your hair are globally healthy you want to BUY this hair analysis.

If you want something more in depth wait for Komaza to reopen.

I think I will open a low porosity very coarse hair topic... I wonder if I'm the only one to have this kind of hair. I think I've read two or three post with natural girl saying "nothing work on my hair". Where are you ladies?

Last edited:

colibri972

Thanks for sharing OP. were products suggested? or a regime? like more or less protein etc

FelaShrine
Yes, they will advise you products, ingredients (I think it's even better than products). You will receive ""how to" and you can compose a regime from the information you will receive.

I would like to tell that the hair analysis companion the document with the title: "Ingredients, Properties, Hair Care and Damage Control" is general. I mean don't wait to receive a fully personalised document. You have some passages that are personalised but not all the document.

Last edited:

colibri972

Here is the result of my baking soda test (no need to ACV because my hair is low porosity):

I put some of your relaxed and natural hair in a baking soda solution with a pH of 8 (14g baking soda in 230 ml water or 1 tablespoon per cup). The relaxed hair was next to the natural hair, not from the ends.

The relaxed hair is a little more porous and reacted by swelling a lot, the cuticles were pushed outwards. For the relaxed part of your hair, the baking soda is too harsh and alkaline and is drying to your hair.

The natural hair was less reactive to the baking soda with less swelling. When I see this swelling near the roots in baking soda, I think it is best to avoid baking soda in your hair unless it provides you with a good result that no other product provides. Baking soda can irritate the scalp as well as dry out the hair.

Picture one : relaxed hair
You can see too much swelling the cuticles are frilly. Not good :nono:
My relaxed hair don't like baking soda treatment

Picture two : slightly raised scales
Until now baking soda was a nono for my natural hair but I think I used too much of it. I will try her recipe when I will be fully natural.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 22.28.31.png
    Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 22.28.31.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 22.28.53.png
    Capture d’écran 2014-03-16 à 22.28.53.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Amarilles

Oooh...thank you for this thread!

I've done Live Curly Live Free and Komaza, I love that this one gives detailed information on elasticity! The Komaza girls didn't even mention elasticity to me. I know what my strands measure only because I asked, I'm not sure if the Komaza girls are always telling us our actual thickness measurements. According to Komaza my strands are between 105 and 138 microns, I'm already looking forward to verifying this with this company :yep:

Can you have an ongoing conversation with the consultant? Or is it like Live Curly Live Free where they email a PDF file with your write-up but it's just information given, leaving little rooms for addressing questions? (edit!) Also does she ask that you separate the hair before sending or is that optional? How much hair did you have to send?

Last edited:

colibri972

Oooh...thank you for this thread!

I've done Live Curly Live Free and Komaza, I love that this one gives detailed information on elasticity! The Komaza girls didn't even mention elasticity to me. I know what my strands measure only because I asked, I'm not sure if the Komaza girls are always telling us our actual thickness measurements. According to Komaza my strands are between 105 and 138 microns, I'm already looking forward to verifying this with this company :yep:

Can you have an ongoing conversation with the consultant? Or is it like Live Curly Live Free where they email a PDF file with your write-up but it's just information given, leaving little rooms for addressing questions? (edit!) Also does she ask that you separate the hair before sending or is that optional? How much hair did you have to send?

Amarilles

138 microns wow. Lucky you! You are normal porosity. Are you oil sensitive? I always though the Komaza analysis was very complete. I really want to have a hair analysis done by them but the hair collect process is fastidious for me. Can you send hair without follicles or all the hair need to have one?
How much hair do you need to send?

Can you have an ongoing conversation with the consultant? Or is it like Live Curly Live Free where they email a PDF file with your write-up but it's just information given, leaving little rooms for addressing questions?

She will send you 3 pdf files : the hair analysis (where she show you how your hair is, elasticity, porosity, knot, kinking), the hair analysis companion (with "how to", general informations about ingredients and personalized one) and a hair ingredients matrix (something that remind you the good ingredients for your hair according the porosity and thickness), she will send you a link where you can find product she recommend for each category of hair, if you ask she will test your hair in acidic and alcaline water. If you have questions, send her an email she will answer you. You can discuss this way.

(edit!) Also does she ask that you separate the hair before sending or is that optional? How much hair did you have to send?
I did it because I wanted too but you can put them all in one bag. She ask hair from crown, hairline, back and front. I sent 50 hair (something like that) carefully cutted very near of the root. That's why I choose FGP : fast hair collect, fast answer. If komaza was opened I would have buy the two.

Last edited:

Amarilles

Hmm...this sounds awesome. Somewhere inbetween LCLF and Komaza.

I'm not a fan of oil, no. I use jojoba and coconut oil very, very little for very specific reasons, I definitely do not seal with it or put it all over my hair. I seal with non-waterbased creams. My porosity is normal but because of the hair thickness products don't easily absorb and it feels as if my porosity is low. But in the photos one could clearly see the cuticles having a slight lift indicating "normal" porosity. I find lighter and watery consistencies much easier to deal with.

The Komaza analysis is definitely thorough, but I think elasticity is not one of their focal points. I should've asked though, as I'm sure if I had asked they would've had an answer for me. I don't think the process to collect hair was too bad...but yes they do want naturally shed hair (not cut) because they want to check for hairloss or thinning. Cut or pulled hair could look like breakage. I sent a ziplock fulla hair, which was all the shed from one wash day. I shed like a beast, lol. But I'd definitely rec Komaza, but do ask questions, otherwise there's info you just might not get.

Thanks for the headsup!

BonBon

Hmm. I got the Komaza analysis but I kinda like this one more lol. I think I will see if they take international orders.

BostonMaria

Wow that's very detailed!!

So will this information help you determine which products & methods will work for you?

colibri972

Hmm...this sounds awesome. Somewhere inbetween LCLF and Komaza.

I'm not a fan of oil, no. I use jojoba and coconut oil very, very little for very specific reasons, I definitely do not seal with it or put it all over my hair. I seal with non-waterbased creams. My porosity is normal but because of the hair thickness products don't easily absorb and it feels as if my porosity is low. But in the photos one could clearly see the cuticles having a slight lift indicating "normal" porosity. I find lighter and watery consistencies much easier to deal with.

The Komaza analysis is definitely thorough, but I think elasticity is not one of their focal points. I should've asked though, as I'm sure if I had asked they would've had an answer for me. I don't think the process to collect hair was too bad...but yes they do want naturally shed hair (not cut) because they want to check for hairloss or thinning. Cut or pulled hair could look like breakage. I sent a ziplock fulla hair, which was all the shed from one wash day. I shed like a beast, lol. But I'd definitely rec Komaza, but do ask questions, otherwise there's info you just might not get.

Thanks for the headsup!

Amarilles

Thank you Amarilles! You gave me an idea. I will collect my hair after I take my cornrows out. I think I will have enough of shedding.

I dream of sealing! lol But this don't work for low porosity coarse hair (at least for mine). I would like to be able to create something as efficient than the L.O.C method for my hair. For the moment it would be Liquid, Humectant, Heat.

Sumra
They do! I live in Martinique (french Island west indies).

BostonMaria
Yes it will help to do this. It will help you to select the right ingredients. The hair matrix will tell you when it's better to use them. But as I said if your not a beginner and you have already experienced a lot of your with your hair you maybe already knew some of those informations.